★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Racing game made with unreal engine

05-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Racing game made with unreal engine

Youtube link | Pop Up
05-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Very interesting! Looks fantastic, hard to tell what the concept of the actual racing entails, but it sure is pretty!

05-28-2011, 07:52 AM
mestour, do you have a fetish for the unreal engine? :P

Hakuna Matata
05-28-2011, 10:51 AM
make it better

for an offroad game the track look unusually flat. no?

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
05-28-2011, 01:57 PM
another game that we won't see...
05-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileriukaslektuviukas View Post
another game that we won't see...
Why not ?
05-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
mestour, do you have a fetish for the unreal engine? :P
haha ya i think he does...

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
05-28-2011, 06:24 PM
This looks absolutely horrible. Everyone thinks the unreal engine will bring them lots of money, but you need to use it WELL. These graphics just suck. If you want people to get interested, show them a finished product. And a good one.

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
05-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Using the Unreal Engine "well" costs too much money. Especially for third-party indie developers.

How much money do you think it took Chair to make Infinity Blade? I would hesitate to even call Infinity Blade a "full-fledged" game, too be honest. And Chair didn't have to pay a licensing fee either. And they're not an Indie company. They have massive resources. And they have significant knowledge when it comes to optimizing the engine.

I don't see how small developers will utilize this engine well in a game that they can then expect to turn around and sell for like, .99-2.99, and still hope to make a reasonable profit, when Apple is taking 30 percent, the government is taking their share in the form of taxes and Epic is taking yet another cut from off the top.

Basically, whether it's Unity or Unreal or whatever, many of these developers are just slapping something together on the cheap. The most successful appstore business model goes something along these lines

Make it cheap
Sell it cheap
?
Profit

or

Make it cheap
Give it away
convince a bunch of idiot people into burn their money on consumable IAP
?
profit
05-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
Using the Unreal Engine "well" costs too much money. Especially for third-party indie developers.

How much money do you think it took Chair to make Infinity Blade? I would hesitate to even call Infinity Blade a "full-fledged" game, too be honest. And Chair didn't have to pay a licensing fee either. And they're not an Indie company. They have massive resources. And they have significant knowledge when it comes to optimizing the engine.

I don't see how small developers will utilize this engine well in a game that they can then expect to turn around and sell for like, .99-2.99, and still hope to make a reasonable profit, when Apple is taking 30 percent, the government is taking their share in the form of taxes and Epic is taking yet another cut from off the top.

Basically, whether it's Unity or Unreal or whatever, many of these developers are just slapping something together on the cheap. The most successful appstore business model goes something along these lines

Make it cheap
Sell it cheap
?
Profit

or

Make it cheap
Give it away
convince a bunch of idiot people into burn their money on consumable IAP
?
profit
ChAIR was 10 guys for 6 months on Inf Blade, just saying.