iPad Spectaculator - ZX Spectrum Emulator for iOS (un-official thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, May 28, 2011.

?

Which ZX Spectrum Emulator do you prefer on iOS

1. Spectaculator

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ZX Spectrum Elite Collection

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. iSpeecy(web app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ZX Nostaliga 1-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

I have stumbled appon a ZX Spectrum emulator twice now (version 1.10 and version 1.0.0) both are easy to load coustom games with iphone explorer it has been pulled once already and I have managed to get both releases, I advise anyone with the money (2.99 US Dollars) to get it, HERE it is worth it!

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    This is currently the only Spectrum emulator that allows you to import your own games so I think it is well worth the price of admission.

EDIT: I see you just figured that out.

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Or you could support Elite Systems and buy the official app.

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Yes, Elite's emu is a great place to buy roms to import into Spectaculator. :D

5. Sciencematthew

I can also load games into the ZX Spectrum Elite Collection but it isnt worth it, 2.99 for A set number of games or 2.99 for UNLIMITED free games :)

6. Sciencematthew

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] some screen shots, enjoy!

7. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    thanks for the headsup on this!

its a pretty nice emulator and pretty nifty you can 'hack' it to upload your own games. however, will most likely continue to use elite's zx spectrum emulator due to highly configurable controls, let alone the games authors getting some royalties.

having huge difficulty getting any games i upload to acknowledge the inbuilt thumbpad. i guess its interface ii type but i simply cant get some games to work even after using a redefine key option.

for example, i upped booty and select interface 2. it plays fine but can only move left and right! i goto redefine keys and again, will not work left and right. i supose it has sommit to do with the config file but i still cant suss :D

so near yet so far!

8. Sciencematthew

You can change the joystick in the main settings app

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The default is kempston joystick not interface ii

Choose kempston and you'll be fine

10. Acidbottle

Apr 24, 2009
    ahh oki cheers for pointing out settings .. always forget about them!

still no joy tho, the default was kempston yet all the included games use interface ii or keyboard customs controls. selecting kempston on any games supporting kempston controls ends badly. weird, tho i assume its just me!

11. Sciencematthew

You could edit the config.plist to the right controls hope it helps!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sounds odd. Works fine for me

Many great games for the Speccy, looking forward to seeing more on this and the Elite app

13. Acidbottle

Apr 24, 2009
    theres a command in the config file called 'axislock' which when removed also removes problems! cheers for all yer help above.

i hope people will still support elite's emu tho, they secured some great games :cool:

14. Sciencematthew

Thanks for the axislock fix, I still will support elites app it has a better control scheme! But for all my favorite game not in the app I will use speculator.
    On a second note do not update passed 1.10 it could possibly make adding games harder or impossible.

15. Hammer09

Hammer09 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    #15 Hammer09, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    Does anyone know of a C64 one?

16. Sciencematthew

Hmm, I found another way to play ZX games on iPod touch it is a Web App! try googlining it.

17. cistehovado

cistehovado New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Could you please help me how to hacktivate the importing tzx files to iPad spectaculator ?
    I bought it with idea to play Gollop's speccy games, but unfortunately I cant now :-/

18. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I have been trying to decide over the last couple of days which one I like the look of more - Elite or this one.

Most (90% plus) of Speccy games are now freeware and no royalties actually go to the original developers. (A lot of them are out of business years ago).

I am keen on the adding your own games option as there are many games which are likely to have gone under the radar. They probably wont ever see the lite of day with some of these emulators.

How can you add your own games on Spectacular? Do you need a Jailbroken IPAD/IPOD?

ps I have the Elite on IPOD (and is currently free). Not sure whether to upgrade to the HD version or not. If I do, all the Monty games area must!!!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think the early version 'might' have been able to do this but not the latest one. Plus you can buy Julian Gollops games using Elites app so you should get them there (Plus Julian will get a share of the money)

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Tough choice - I love the fact that Spectatulator just went universal, but overall I like the Elite collection, and the fact that they're paying the developers. Thrilled to send moneys to Julian Gallop for another copy of his games! (Wish they'd make a Gallop pack #2 with the remainder of them...)