★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pangaea's risk

11-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Pangaea's risk

Has anyone noticed that Bugdom 2 just shot up from $1.99 to $7.99? Pangaea is making a very big risk and jump with this decision. I think that their sales for Bugdom 2 are going to diminish VERY quickly! I already bought it when it was cheap, but isn't that a bit of a daredevil act for a big developer like Pangaea to pull?

Game Center ID: Vaelsh
I'm playing: Small World 2, The Pinball Arcade, Terraria
I'm waiting for: Shadowrun Returns, Micromon, Oceanhorn!
11-05-2008, 02:41 AM
They're thining long term with this... Good move. Too much of a price increase though IMO

I applaud them still

11-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it's genious. Good timing, considering searching the App Store on your device is limited to 100 games, and if they are in it that list, people will see them over and over again...
It looks like a high quality game and for those that don't read forums and reviews, will jump all over this...
11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
For me Pangea is busted. Not because price changes, but because of their games. I like Enigmo, but it's hard to control and does the wrong things when I tap here or there. I hate Billy Frontier. I really don't like Cro Mag because of the non-existent kart feeling and missing storyline and "too free" control scheme. And from what I read about Nanosaur and Bugdom, all games have similar problems: They are ports. Nothing against ports, but levels which are 30 minutes long without save points for a device where you can get interrupted every time just shows, that Pangea made good Mac software, but has no approach to produce polished ports of the iPhone. Therefore, for me, they are busted.

And like in most of my postings this only has to do with game quality and polish, not with the price.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I disagree completely. I think that Pangea games are fantastic games (the ones that I have played), very polished, and well worth being in the higher tier of pricing on the app store. I'm not paying $8 for Bugdom because it doens't look like my type of game, but I bought Enigmo when it was $8 and feel that I got my money's worth.
11-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Nothing against ports, but levels which are 30 minutes long without save points for a device where you can get interrupted every time just shows
Don't forget Bugdom has recently had an update allowing you to continue from the last checkpoint when re-starting the game. Your point still applies to Nanosaur though, which is why I haven't bought that one.
11-05-2008, 09:20 AM
You would have to be so stupid to buy this game for 8 bucks honestly anyone who does is a complete and total loser. I would rather buy... um anything for 8 bucks that isn't bugdom

"Insert generic signature here"
11-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneWars View Post
You would have to be so stupid to buy this game for 8 bucks honestly anyone who does is a complete and total loser.
There's no need to insult people here. There are those that will like the look of the game and buy it- let's face it, from the screenshots it looks a very polished game. Some of these people will like it and be glad with their purchase. There will be people who may not like it as much as they were hoping, and I'd feel sorry for them. After all, it wouldn't be the first time someone has bought a game that disappoints them. I have bought many a dud app, DS, Wii game- does that make me a total loser?
11-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I really don't feel like Bugdom is worth it. There is a lot of depth so I do believe they should charge more for it, however personally I did not like the game
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I really enjoyed Bugdom.. there were some frustrating moments, but I spent at least 10 hours playing the game which is worth $8 to me. (Couple McDonald's stops.)