★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Skee-ball free

05-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Skee-ball free

Seen this in the top charts for a long time. Definitely worth the download for free. With FAAD.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
05-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
wow... REALLY bad reviews in the appstore... =o/

05-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Cant say ill be keeping this either, but I believe its one of those game that has hit the coveted paid one million downloads at one point.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
05-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
Cant say ill be keeping this either, but I believe its one of those game that has hit the coveted paid one million downloads at one point.
Yep, this was the shit back then. Stayed in the top 10 for so freaking long.

Twitter: @back2this
05-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Yep, this was the shit back then. Stayed in the top 10 for so freaking long.
Thank god for progress. Might be the first one with the 1 mil paid download to go free (that I can think of). That in itself merits the download.

05-29-2011, 07:16 PM
It's like Skyworks Arcade Bowling, only much worse!
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I made a free skee-ball game called Ball-Hop Bowling and wouldn't mind any feedback for those who played both this game and my game.

Thanks!
07-05-2011, 01:03 AM
I played hours and hours of this game and I believe it pre-dated the effort from Skyworks, but I'm too lazy to check.

As to Ball-Hop, it looks freakin amazing; downloading now.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
07-05-2011, 01:23 AM
My impressions of Ball Hop:

First of all there are play control issues. That's one of the most complex aspects to a game because it's not something one can quantify or even describe most of the time. You have some games that _feel_ right like a Legend of Zelda and some that do not like so many Zelda knockoffs.

If anybody here has ever played one of those action games that doesn't feel right, such as one that attempts to pass eight-directional movement for full range, then that's a lot how this Ball Hop plays. The trajectory and momentum of balls doesn't seem to correspond to flicks as well as Skee-ball, so that it's hard to find that sweet-spot by making smaller adjustments because they don't seem to be detected all that well.

The framerate is on the choppy side, in that it seems to have less FPS than Skee-ball. And perhaps most importantly is the limited field range. Skee-ball angles the lane in such a way that you have the complete screen width in which to launch balls, where Ball Hop has the side bumpers in the way and less overall space. Here's a side-by-side screenshot comparison to illustrate: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6986/img0250b.png

More subjectively: I consider the banners and IAP incredibly tacky.

Coin Drop is $.99; does a great job of revamping Plinko for iOS in a very charming way; has _no_ banners and _no_ IAP; has produced free updated content; and is an all-around great+polished game. Why couldn't you have looked toward that as a model? "Because everybody else does it" is not a good enough excuse to throw in banners and IAP. At least it shouldn't be--but I suppose monkey-see-monkey-do is a mark of modern gaming.

Last edited by dib; 07-05-2011 at 02:58 AM.