★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Roll a Stone with Internet multiplayer - update available now!

04-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Roll a Stone with Internet multiplayer - update available now!

The Internet multiplayer mode is now available for all 30 levels. This multiplayer mode allows you to upload both your high score and the recorded game to a global high score list. You will then download the recorded game for the player that is just above you in the high score list. If you have the position 14, you will get to play against the player with position 13.

The game is quite easy to play. Your goal is to take all the stars by rolling a stone through a large labyrinth. You must do this before the score hits zero to unlock the next level. In the multiplayer mode, you will see two stones where the darker stone is your opponent:

The recorded game is downloaded once. Then you can play against your opponent offline as many times as you like. Next time you submit your score you might get another opponent. The game feeling is like you and your opponent are playing against each other at the same time.

If you have the game, make sure to update it and submit your scores.

My name in the high score list is LARS. I'm excited to see if anyone can beat me.

Roll a Stone is available here: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298004055&mt=8

Last edited by larsef; 04-15-2009 at 03:05 AM.
04-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Sounds like a great addition to the game. I might buy it now although I wish I got it when it was $0.99. The levels seem pretty long though so I might pick it up anyway.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
04-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Some levels are actually quite large. Here is an example:

I think it takes me about five minutes to play this level.

All the levels are drawn like this in the Amiga program DeluxePaint and all the music tracks are made with the Amiga program ProTracker.

Unfortunately, I had to increase the price to $2.99 because of the server cost. I realized that if 10000 players would upload 20 kB recordings for every level, I would need about 6 GB just to store all these recordings. $0.99 wouldn't really pay for the dedicated server needed at that time point, so I decided to increase the price to $2.99.

If you want to try before you buy, you should really download the Lite version first. It doesn't have the Netplay feature so you can't play against other people on the Internet, but you can play against yourself in the ghost multiplayer mode. You can find the Lite version here, which contains the first two levels: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298003681&mt=8

The Netplay mode makes it much more fun to play, since you can both compare your score with others and also actually play against them. However, if you find the Lite version boring, then Roll a Stone isn't really a game for you in any case.

Last edited by larsef; 04-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Just picked this up larsef.

I loved the lite version so this is definitely my type of game. Look out for "Palfince" on the global scoreboards (if I'm good enough ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post
My name in the high score list is LARS. I'm excited to see if anyone can beat me.
Edit: I beat you on level 3.

We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!

Last edited by Palfince; 04-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.
04-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palfince View Post
Just picked this up larsef.

I loved the lite version so this is definitely my type of game. Look out for "Palfince" on the global scoreboards (if I'm good enough ).

Edit: I beat you on level 3.
Oh, crap! Now I have to play that level again, and I hate when the stone is so heavy.

Hopefully, people will start to update the game soon so we get to play against more people. Meanwhile, I will start to play level 3 again.
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post
Oh, crap! Now I have to play that level again, and I hate when the stone is so heavy.

Hopefully, people will start to update the game soon so we get to play against more people. Meanwhile, I will start to play level 3 again.
I hope lots more people will update and there will be some more competition! And it is a lot harder when the rock is heavy. This game is great fun though!

I'll go and review it on the UK App Store in a bit. The only review there so far is 1 star and says "choco milkshake man says poo to you all", I have no idea why though...