★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Deleting games temporarily - do you lose progress?

11-05-2008, 09:20 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Deleting games temporarily - do you lose progress?

I have some games that I like but have finished and am awaiting expected updates, such as Black Mamba Racer, Loopy Laboratory and a few others. I'm short on space and need to delete some stuff. If I delete these apps from my iPod touch, but not from iTunes, and then later, after the updates come, put them back on it, will my progress be restored?

It would be nice if I could temporarily delete apps like this and later put them back and be able to continue from where I left off. Hopefully they've made it work this way, but I'm wary of taking the risk. Anyone know for certain?
11-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Unfortunately the save data isn't saved in iTunes, so once you remove the app from your device, the save data is no more. When you put the app back on your device, you will have to start again from scratch.
I really wish Apple would do something about this, because there are times I want to do the same thing- just clear up a few apps I know I won't play for a while, but keep the save data for when I want it back on. Stupid innit?

11-05-2008, 09:28 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Thanks for clearing that up. Oh well.
11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I had the same experience before. I did something on my laptop that make itunes delete some of the games on my iphone. To make matter worse I didn't back up all the games that I had bought before. Lucky for me, when I tried download the games again from the itunes store I didn't have to pay again. But, all of my previous progress for example in spore had all gone and I had to play all over again from start. idiota.

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
11-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Has anyone tried deleting the backup of the app on their computer, then transferring it from their iPod to iTunes? I'm just wondering if the save data is stored in the actual app itself and rewritten everytime you make progress. I mean, it has to be saved somewhere right?

Also, hello everyone! I started reading the site since I got my touch a few weeks ago but finally decided to post today.

Latest iPhone Reviews: iDracula | Crash Nitro Kart 3D | Rainbow Ninja | experience+
11-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome MarkEightThree. I haven't tried your suggestion, but I have a feeling it won't work. As far as I am aware, iTunes just doesn't keep the save settings for apps, even when transferring from the device. The only way it does save settings/game saves is within the back up of the device. If you restore your device using a back up, the save data is intact.
11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
halloooo Mark ..im new here too .. hehe!

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
11-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I just did a little experiment with some apps I didn't care about losing my progress...
Deleting the apps from the iPod whether via iTunes on my computer or deleting directly on the iPod, both ways the progress is lost. Deleting an app from iTunes on my computer, it then synchs back to the computer from the iPod no problem. However, the progress must be saved in iTunes (on my computer) somehow because, when I installed an app that had been backed up in iTunes from one iPod onto another iPod that has never had that app before, the app installed on the 2nd iPod with all the progress intact?!
11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Okay- now that's wierd!
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
A quick tip that works for me...when you are done with the game, take a quick screen shot of the scores, the last page, whatever...this way you have proof that you finished, & your high score will be forever immortalized in your photo collection!!!