★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Metroidthvania on the iPad

06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Metroidthvania on the iPad

This morning I woke up with an itch to explore a castle, or a ruined space station, or some other form of metroidvania. In theory, I could dig out my old blue DS and play a castlevania game on it, but I've got my nice shiny new ipad, and I'd prefer to play on it. Are there any good metroidvania games on the ipad? The only one I can think of from the iphone was The Deeps, which I might just ended up playing in 2x mode.
06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Elemental Rage HD is a self-described Metroidvania style game. I haven't purchased it yet, so I can't comment persoanlly. I threw it on my wishlist hoping for a price drop. But, it's received pretty decent reviews.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic

06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Robot Wants Kitty

My favorite is 'Robot Wants Kitty'. Truly a metroidvania style game with great retro style graphics and solid controls. The amount of content is decent, but its the ability to play in short bursts that makes it great for on-the-go M/V gaming. It even includes a fantastic level creator that should eventually allow for content creation sharing.

06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Vote for Robot Wants Kitty. A great game.

Follow on Twitter for Promo Codes and News!
06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Elemental Rage is solid, but incredibly short. No real boss fights to speak of, and the same enemy types throughout the entire game. Graphically, it's fantastic. Would be a lot more fun with more enemies and more power-ups, but this really is the closest you'll get to a Metroidvania game on iOS...
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Another vote for Robot Wants Kitty here!

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Not a single metroidvania game on iOS "gets" character movement, IMHO. I've said this a few times on these forums, but companies like CAPCOM and Nintendo spend a lot of time getting the character movement to feel fluid, natural, and actually physical. Indie developers rarely focus on this. I tried out both Elemental Rage and Robot Wants Kitty and both fall into this category unfortunately.

For reference, the best character movement I have seen is a tie between Super Mario Bros 3, and New Super Mario Bros on DS. There are a lot of subtle details that make up why those games have such great design.

Last edited by cplr; 06-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.
06-01-2011, 02:58 PM
robo wants kitty is more a distilled approach since its level based and not one huge world to explore over time.. but still better than elemental rage imho..
but rbk is iphone only so you need to "enjoy" it in 2x mode..
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Already played RWK. Decent game, but I've enjoyed it as much as I'm likely to.
06-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Great question! I too wish that someone would develop this type of game. Unfortunately though, due to the complexity of their nature, metroidvania games are quite time consuming and resource intensive.

I doubt we will see many indie developers tackling a project like that. Just consider the prop list alone... Then you have your enemies, weapons, locals, armour if applicable, and then animation for all of the enemies and your hero. The to do list really starts to add up.

All of that still doesn't even include the behind the scenes stuff like setting up your characters and props for animation, lighting every single room, working out enemy AI, camera issues, menu options, Setting up every item in the game for texturing.

It's a huge list.

Sorry for the tangent!

-Michael Jarvis, co-developer of:
Quest for Kullvaria
MooView Games - Facebook - Dev Blog - Twitter - Touch Arcade - YouTube - Email