★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Farting Permitted, Politics Prohibited? Does Apple Have a Prob. with Political Games?

04-15-2009, 03:03 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 881
Farting Permitted, Politics Prohibited? Does Apple Have a Prob. with Political Games?

Huffington Post covers Apple blocking and/or delaying apps with political satire:

.... The web is filled with games that cover political issues. When an Iraqi threw his shoes at then President Bush, a flood of shoe-throwing games showed up on the web. Apple rejected a similar game for the iPhone, titled MyShoe, citing concerns over content that ridicules public figures. "Obama Trampoline," a game featuring cartoon caricatures of around 20 Democrat and Republican politicians was rejected in February. Apple has delayed the approval of other political games....

More at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/willia..._b_186008.html

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
They're just erring on the side of caution. Politics can be a topic similar to religion where people take things way too seriously and become unbelievably offended for seemingly insignificant things. I can see them not wanting to approve (or dragging their feet approving in your case) political games just because of what a hot button issue politics can be.

I suppose it shouldn't be Apple that is restricting content and users themselves should decide what they want on their phones... But if someone released some application where you draw Allah and the same Muslim media that blew the comic from last year out of proportion caught wind of the App it would be Apple that has to deal with the PR nightmare and not the developer who paid $99 for an SDK that no one ever heard of.

I guess the lesson learned here is if you make games that have universal appeal they'll not only get approved quicker, but also remain relevant longer. I can't think of much reason to buy Bailout Bonanza now that the whole bailout thing has been flushed from the news cycle, but if it was a fun game and had more universal subject matter it would be a different story.

04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 881
I agree with you, and can see Apple's side on the "show throwing" app. BUT the delay in Bailout's release hurt the game. It's just a homage to KABOOM with a cute theme.

Look, if something like iSperm can get approved? Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
They're just erring on the side of caution. Politics can be a topic similar to religion where people take things way too seriously and become unbelievably offended for seemingly insignificant things. I can see them not wanting to approve (or dragging their feet approving in your case) political games just because of what a hot button issue politics can be.

I suppose it shouldn't be Apple that is restricting content and users themselves should decide what they want on their phones... But if someone released some application where you draw Allah and the same Muslim media that blew the comic from last year out of proportion caught wind of the App it would be Apple that has to deal with the PR nightmare and not the developer who paid $99 for an SDK that no one ever heard of.

I guess the lesson learned here is if you make games that have universal appeal they'll not only get approved quicker, but also remain relevant longer. I can't think of much reason to buy Bailout Bonanza now that the whole bailout thing has been flushed from the news cycle, but if it was a fun game and had more universal subject matter it would be a different story.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posts: 2,404
The day your fart is leading the country is the day they'll start limiting fart apps in the app store.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
04-15-2009, 03:43 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
The day your fart is leading the country is the day they'll start limiting fart apps in the app store.
It is, but farting apps are still being approved.
04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 523
And something like iSperm got approved xD

Celebrating the Bliss of Eliss~
Eliss, my #1 favorite game of all time
04-15-2009, 03:49 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksl2006 View Post
And something like iSperm got approved xD
Sexual education is taught at every public school as part of a graduation requirement. (At least in my area, YMMV.) There's a pretty big difference between a funny take on human biology and apps which include one of the most offensive actions in the Muslim world with the throw your shoe at Bush game.
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
#8
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 881
So I guess a tea-bagging app is verboten.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 371
Its like when Hill Billy was declined at first due to blood.....yet....there are pleanty of games where zombies or other things get blood splattered all over. And other applications where u use chainsaws to cause massive amounts of blood to dolls (or pics from your camera roll)

My Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/no-fury
Gaming Device: iPhone 6 - iPad Air 2
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
#10
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Sexual education is taught at every public school as part of a graduation requirement. (At least in my area, YMMV.) There's a pretty big difference between a funny take on human biology and apps which include one of the most offensive actions in the Muslim world with the throw your shoe at Bush game.
Uh, the shoe throwing app, which featured multiple targets, was written by a Muslim developer in Pakistan.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto