★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iCade compatibility list/wishlist

10-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
I've ordered an 8 bitty, looking forward to getting it but it sounds absolutely crazy that they didnt try to match up with the iCade control layout, i know its a different company but if theyre using it for iCade/Bluetooth games then surely keep the same type of button layout. Ridiculous to change it
10-14-2012, 01:50 PM
'Tis mental. The iCade mobile though I have to say has rubbish button mapping for iMame so I'm hoping the 8-bitty gets that better.

10-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 174
If the 8-bitty sells really well (and it could potentially do very well with its retro look and low price point), it could become the default layout for iCade games.

The silver lining for full sized iCade owners is that whatever layout becomes standard (if ever), we can adapt to it as all our controls are front facing and easy to reach. The people who will be badly affected are owners of other small form factor varients like the iCade mobile who may be stuck using their shoulder buttons more than they might like.
10-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, OR, Cascadia
Posts: 332
We've mapped the GameDock to have the A-B buttons map to the red buttons on the iCade and start-select map to the white buttons. This seems to be the mapping of choice for somewhere between half to 2/3 of the games I've tried (over 40).

We're hoping to help standardize button mapping a little bit, as well as make it more commonplace to have all menus navigable by the controller, and have launch urls for all games. Hopefully, some standards will emerge out of the wild west that is iCade-protocol controllers right now.
10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Good ideas. The standardization I want: always include SOME form of help to show iCade users the controls! I always die trying to remember how a specific game works.

Iím thinking maybe Iíll simply use one single image (no language, no localization) showing an iCade layout, a Mobile/Jr. layout, and an 8-Bitty layout. (Assuming that all those catch on enough!)

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: ďAdams ImmersiveĒ)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Grids are better: DotSpace (Forum thread)
10-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, OR, Cascadia
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
Good ideas. The standardization I want: always include SOME form of help to show iCade users the controls! I always die trying to remember how a specific game works.

I’m thinking maybe I’ll simply use one single image (no language, no localization) showing an iCade layout, a Mobile/Jr. layout, and an 8-Bitty layout. (Assuming that all those catch on enough!)
Yup. So we're putting together a dashboard app. First, the idea is you'll be able to launch / exit games without having to use the touch screen. And second, it would have a prompt reminding you of the controls before the game launches. (IE "Here is the button layout. Ready to play?") That should take some of the burden off of developers and is something we can easily do. I've posted a couple pics of the app on my twitter stream.
10-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenoclone View Post
Yup. So we're putting together a dashboard app. First, the idea is you'll be able to launch / exit games without having to use the touch screen. And second, it would have a prompt reminding you of the controls before the game launches. (IE "Here is the button layout. Ready to play?") That should take some of the burden off of developers and is something we can easily do. I've posted a couple pics of the app on my twitter stream.
Fantastic idea, xenoclone. So glad you are sharing this dashboard with other developers.
10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
I just noticed that the last update to Swordigo says it adds external arcade controls, can anyone confirm whether this refers to th iCade or not? I'd like to grab it, but only if it does support the iCade. (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, I'm still figuring out my way around the forums.). Thx.

BTW, the highest game on my wish list for iCade support is Shantae, I'd love to see that game get supported. Thought I'd mention that since this thread also a wish list.
10-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Kev View Post
I just noticed that the last update to Swordigo says it adds external arcade controls, can anyone confirm whether this refers to th iCade or not? I'd like to grab it, but only if it does support the iCade. (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, I'm still figuring out my way around the forums.). Thx.

BTW, the highest game on my wish list for iCade support is Shantae, I'd love to see that game get supported. Thought I'd mention that since this thread also a wish list.
Just tried Swordigo and it does indeed support iCade. Very well spotted. Mikey Shorts Halloween does too for anyone in any doubt and it's fantastic too.
10-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamraman View Post
Just tried Swordigo and it does indeed support iCade. Very well spotted. Mikey Shorts Halloween does too for anyone in any doubt and it's fantastic too.
Thanks for the confirmation. I agree about The Halloween version of Mikey Shorts, I spent some time playing it last night and it's just as fun as the original game. Very addicting, I find myself going back to it a lot just to try to get that third star on each level.