Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

@ Alextended

Thanks for those links. That was the best iCade hardware video review I've seen. I also loved the Vectrex Regeneration review. Seeing app + iCade side by side with a real Vectrex was awesome.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextended View Post
This is false, me and my brother in law and sister share our (two) accounts and you can easily share the games if you use iTunes on PC instead of just the devices. I'm sure this hasn't changed since I last did it because I did it very recently when I got my account locked and didn't want to miss some freebie offers so I downloaded them with their account and then transferred to my iPad with no problem (we share for convenience, not our money, but "purchasing" freebies is ok).
Ah good! Sounds complicated, and I wouldn’t want to share accounts and synching with someone like that, but I’m glad to know there’s SOME way to do it!

I do like Hungry Master (and to a lesser extent, Electro Master). They’re simple, but they work well, and have a nice sharp retro CRT look, and they’re portrait. I prefer portrait because the cabinet looks a little better that way. (Wouldn’t matter with the iCade Core.)

A couple other good portrait ones: Warblade is a little cheesy-looking (menus especially), but I can get pretty far with it, so it’s fun. (Probably my favorite Galaga-style vertical shmup. Velociraptor is good but it has no iCade auto-fire and the button-mashing gets tiring.) Retro Racing is also portrait, and although it feels nothing like any modern racing game (more like a maze game with momentum?) I really enjoy it.

Lanscape games: Super Mega Worm is good. Super Crossfire is good. Pix’n’Love Rush plays either way, buy not full-screen unless played in landscape. Alien Breed and Beyond Ynth are two I really liked at first play, but haven’t gotten back to yet. Gunman Clive looks awesome but I found it difficult, which could either be good or bad.

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 12-29-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

It's really quite simple, if you already use iTunes on PC to keep backups and occasionally purchase through that rather than your idevice then you're already doing most of the process needed. It can be done without password sharing as long as you occasionally can put the different devices on the same laptop/pc iTunes, I just don't mind doing that with family obviously.

There was a mix up with my bank account it seems so I had some more funds available and bought a few more games. This is the current haul I'll be giving them (I've removed a few freebies like Super Lemonade Factory and a few lesser games like Katana Jack since now there's more than enough variety to go around anyway).

2D games:
Dynamite Jack
ElectroMaster
Forget-Me-Not (maybe my sister will like this)
Gridrunner
HungryMaster
League of Evil
League of Evil 2
Metal Slug 3
Random Heroes
Super Crate Box
Silverfish Max (maybe my sister will like this since it kind of feels like Snake despite being so different)
Velocispider

3D games:
AirAttack HD
Frogger Decades (for my sister)
Gunman Clive
Muffin Knight
Paper Monsters (for my sister)
Swordigo
Temple Run (maybe my sister will like this)

Collections:
Midway Arcade (all games, kind of regret doing so but at least it's presented better than Namco's)
Namco Arcade (Pac-Man for my sister, Rolling Thunder and Galaga, but what crap presentation and options)
Raiden Legacy

That should do for now. I can probably still do without some lesser stuff like Random Heroes but whatever. Hopefully my sister will like a few more of that too. I bought Rayman Run for her also, it's not for iCade but whatever, people say it's pretty good. And NFS: Most Wanted for me/him since it's cheap at the moment and Real Racing 3 will be a while.

I was also told Super Mole Escape has iCade support now, I'll probably get it later alongside Blazing Star and a few others. Hopefully selection and variety will keep improving over time and we'll also get a 6.x.x jailbreak.

But it seems the iCade was shipped very late and now reports ETA January 7th so it will be a while before we play them.

Last edited by Alextended; 12-29-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Nice haul!

By the way, Super Lemonade Factory isn’t free—and it’s a good one, from my limited play time.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

It was free when I got it, some of these are games I had tried from before I ever thought of iCade. Swordigo too (that one's free again though). It does seem decent enough, but not so fast paced arcade session friendly.

Last edited by Alextended; 12-30-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Jeff Minter’s Super Ox Wars (vertical scrolling shooter) is free right now:
http://appshopper.com/games/super-ox-wars

It’s great on iCade: portrait orientation, with a choice of auto- or manual fire depending on which red button you choose to use. I usually don’t like a soft-ish look, but for Minter’s “glowing stuff on black” styling, it works.

Plus I think it offers the best retro “attract loop” for the iCade!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

What's the reason why devs do NOT include "iCade support" label (or something like that) in their App Store description?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by masvil View Post
What's the reason why devs do NOT include "iCade support" label (or something like that) in their App Store description?
Think they were advised not to by ION due to strict apple issues
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Think they were advised not to by ION due to strict apple issues
So currently the only way to know are reviews and forums, right?
Is there a (un)official omni-comprehensive always-updated list?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
I just watched the various Classic Game Room iCade reviews
Thank you for share with us that good selection of videos.

Quote:
maybe GridRunner
Maybe? Gridrunner is a masterpiece for arcade lovers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
Ahahah she play Blazing Stars with 1 hand

Wimp devs announced right now they will add iCade support. It will be a great value for iCade users, Wimp is one of the best iOS game ever.

Same for BSquadron.

For italian readers: iCade 50 (shipping included)

Last edited by masvil; 01-06-2013 at 01:40 PM..