★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Tix is a strategy board game in the classical style of games like chess and go. Its modern design hints at an age when cunning traps, bold moves, and calculated risks are the core of the game.

Tix is a game with refreshingly natural rules, arising from the simple physics of its cube-shaped pieces. The iOS version is designed to recreate this earthy feel of the game - a detail we're especially excited for you to experience when you rotate the game board in your hands.

Whether you're a fan of deep abstract strategy games, or want to give your brain a quick workout, you will enjoy Tix greatly.

Key-features
- Pass-and-play multiplayer
- 3 levels of AI
- Play online via Game Center, against your friends or random players
- Excellent HD graphics, designed to capture the beauty of marble cubes on a deluxe wooden board
- Support for all 4 device orientation in a coolly natural way
- Superb atmospheric sound
- Game Center achievements

More about Tix:

Players take turns to add new pieces to the board or move existing pieces. Each player aims to neutralize the opponents pieces. Slide your pieces into position, judge when to sacrifice or when to protect your lead.

It's an ideal game to lay on the table and start to play. It's even better with a glass of wine in your hand.

baris's comments:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tix-by-martijn-althuizen/id425945865?mt=8

I'd met the designer of the board game and started the project thanks to the Touch Arcade forums, and Tix finally just came out on the App Store today.

Edit:
I must have messed up the appinfo tag once again.. Thanks triggywiggy!
06-02-2011, 06:11 AM

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!

06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I have been playing Tix, an interesting abstract game by a Dutch game designer, rather extensively for the last couple of days.

While the rules themselves are fairly simple, how the rules interact with each other is fairly complex and this, combined with the unusual rotation mechanic of active and inactive 'cubes' makes for more a playing experience which involves -- at least in my experience -- more than one learning curve. In fact it took at least a dozen games (played against the easy AI) before I understood how the various rules worked together and what is required for a win, or, put in another way: in the beginning I lost every game...

Now, after another dozen or so games i can win against the easy AI but also catch glimpses (in some of the AI's moves), of a new and perhaps even steeper learning curve ahead, exploring a large number of tactical possibilities.

Very nice!

A question and a bit of feedback for the developers:

Q: I've won, on more than one occasion, 3 games in a row against the easy AI but not gained the GameCenter 'achievement'. Is this a bug?

Feedback: In general I find the app well put together (love the sound effects), but I do feel it could benefit from a bit of graphic polishing. Aesthetically I find the marble skin on the 'cubes' (here, in the ios implementation, more properly 'tiles') decidedly unappealing. This is of course is personal, YMMV.

But these minor points. This is a definitely a game which deserves a lot more attention than it is getting. Thanks for bringing it to the platform!

Mac user since 1988
06-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
funambulist,

Thanks a lot for your encouragement and feedback.

Once you've managed to beat the easy AI, there is a lot more learning curve before one can beat the hard AI. At least it was that way for me. I used to lose 9 out of 10 games when I first programmed it, and now I can win about 7 out of 10.

The awesome music is by a friend of the designer. The graphics are by the designer of the game himself, with my request of the general style. I felt making it wood-marble like this made the game easier to learn. There was actually another skin for the app in the works (the one the designer had made himself before we met), but unfortunately it will only get completed if there is somehow enough interest in the app to justify the cost.

On the other hand, there will be 2-3 interactive tutorials in an update coming in a week or so. They will mostly be in the form of annotated games, the first couple explaining the basic rules, and perhaps one demonstrating advanced strategies. Maybe this will help the game get some more traction.
06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Great thread so far. I'm always on the look out for great new board games for the iOS. A vid with gameplay showing off the finer points of the game would be great.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 06-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
06-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
here's my iTunes review...

"I can't recommend this enough if you're into boardgames that make you think (chess keeps coming to mind, with the ways the pieces can interact with eachother...). The "how to play" section is understandable, and even if you don't quite get it after reading it, once you start playing, the board lights up green where you can move your pieces... which REALLY helps you learn.

If you've never played Tix (like me...) you will NEED to read the 'how to play' section...

But once you get into the game, it's one you'll absolutly LOVE, and keep on your device for a long... long time."

I'm REALLY enjoying this!!! I can't believe I've never heard of Tix until now!!
06-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Great thread so far. I'm always on the look out for great new board games for the iOS. A vid with gameplay showing off the finer points of the game would be great.
It is not a great video, and has a much lower frame rate than the app itself, but here is one:

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Cool vid. Straightforward gameplay displayed. I still can't figure out the basics from just watching the vid, though. You mentioned a "one-day" discount come Sunday. My guess is the price point will be about a buck?

Edit: I just read the date of the post stating the discount. That was a couple weeks back and is OBE.

Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 06-11-2011 at 06:47 PM.
06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Oops, the discount info was out of date. The game will go back up to 2.99 with the first update.

You can also try out the game online here: http://www.pancerola.com/play/
(That website is unrelated to me. It's the website of the publisher of the physical version of Tix, I'm in charge of the iOS version only.)
06-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you for the link. I'll check it out.

BTW, are those the actual ambient sounds and OST playing on the vid? If it is, they are mighty fine, man.

Edit: Couldn't wait. Bought.

Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 06-11-2011 at 09:55 PM.