★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dev's, What's up?

11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Dev's, What's up?

This post is a question to devolopers. I have to ask why is everyone in a rush to get games onto the app store. Charging for games that aren't nearly complete, just to get it out there it seems. I was under the impression that Apple gives you the ability to transfer an app up to 100 people. Am I right? If so why aren't devs using this method to beta test before launching an app or game into the appstore.
11-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
This post is a question to devolopers. I have to ask why is everyone in a rush to get games onto the app store. Charging for games that aren't nearly complete, just to get it out there it seems. I was under the impression that Apple gives you the ability to transfer an app up to 100 people. Am I right? If so why aren't devs using this method to beta test before launching an app or game into the appstore.
Certainly they should post their ideas here, let us beta test for them, and we will in turn provide feedback. I could definitely see this as beneficial because in the end they will have a higher quality game, and be able to charge more for it.

You bring up a great point!

11-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Ok so who would like to Beta test our new games?

Got a couple coming through this month. PM me with your iPhone/iPod Touch ID and your email address and we'll sort something out.

Obviously you'd be bound by our confidentiality agreement but you'd get to see the games early and be a key part in making them better!

Cheers
Paul
11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Tag View Post
Ok so who would like to Beta test our new games?

Got a couple coming through this month. PM me with your iPhone/iPod Touch ID and your email address and we'll sort something out.

Obviously you'd be bound by our confidentiality agreement but you'd get to see the games early and be a key part in making them better!

Cheers
Paul
Sounds Great! How do I get my Iphone ID?
11-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
First of all, you need to get it out of your head that it's all devs that do this, because it certainly isn't However, there was a big rush by a lot of devs to get offerings into the app store (and still is, to a certain extent) in order to get on the gravy train that many saw the app store as - the next great digital gold rush. So, there's a lot of stuff been released that wasn't ready.

On top of that, there are devs with ideas that just aren't that great, that don't have the ability to polish what they offer, don't understand user interfaces or don't get aesthetics etc. There's not much you can do about that as a consumer, that occurs everywhere.

As for beta testing yes, there is ad-hoc distribution which is what I've used and many devs use for beta testing. That doesn't solve the whole issue though as you need to find some good beta testers and, depending on how you want to play it, get NDAs signed etc. That wasn't easy until the app store actually launched - don't forget that before that time only relatively few devs actually had the software on their iPhones that could run the third party apps. Ad-hoc is also a right royal pain in the backside, but that's just something you have to deal with as a dev as it's the only way of getting things out to testers. I suspect many indie devs probably don't go down this route and stick with testing by family and friends.

Over all that, however, I'd say that the vast majority of the problems are caused by devs who have very limited previous programming experience, no programming experience, or no experience of bringing an application to market. Or they're just lazy

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
11-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Is your iPhone ID the serial number? If so just hook it up to iTunes and click on it and look at the summary tab.
11-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I know it's not everyone. But a lot of them... You know what they say, A few bad apples etc.
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Getting a game to full completion is a long and tedious process, as well as the issue of being first in the market or at least being one of the first.

When I started working on my TD game, there was none in the AppStore. There are currently (to my knowledge) 3 other TD games. It feels a bit crazy knowing that there are other similar games out there already selling while mine is still being developed. I really don't want to release mine until it is fully complete, and I hope once I do complete it, that when people play it they understand the amount of work that went into it. I am taking a huge risk here, and every day that passes I feel like I am loosing ground. But I keep at it, and instead of rushing it, I been trying to focus more on quality now than ever before. If you can't be first to market, you gotta be better than your competitors. This is the strategy I am taking.

I hope people understand that, but I doubt the majority would care. They will see the screenshots and the movies, and judge the game based on that at first. But I hope the risk I am taking by focusing on quality wins out in the end.

We shall see.
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Paul, I Beta test apps and do preview videos all the time. Got 5 in today. If you'd like some serious beta help, message me here on the site.
11-05-2008, 03:00 PM
The ad hoc process is a real pain. I have only gotten one person to be a tester for me so far. So between him and the one device I have thats all the testing I can do before I push to the app store. I would say the biggest problem is the ad hoc process. Although there are probably a lot of devs out there with dollar signs in thier eyes just looking for quick turnaround.

kwigbo.com - iPhone dev blog with code snippets and more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
iReviewFail.com Funny reviews from the iOS App Store