Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jun 6, 2011.

1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Has anyone here read the books and/or started watching the series?

After hearing tons about it, I finally wound up watching the Pilot and loved it! I've decided to try out the first book before continuing to watch the series.

Has anyone else read the books? Is it worth reading them or should I just continue with the show?

2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I'm watching the show and I'm going to read the books oVer summer after my exams. You should do both really. And the show is fantastic. One of the best tv shows on tv at the moment.

3. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

I'm reading the first book and it's fantastic. I've only seen part of the first episode of the show (I don't have HBO) and I was really impressed by the amount of detail it had, right down to portraying Arya as a tomboy from the very beginning.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I tried to watch the series but it was just to boring gave up at about the 4th episode I expect the books are probably better I'm tempted to try and read at least the first one (possibly the rest if I like it) to find out.

5. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Love the show its an incredible story really fascinating I want to read the books now

6. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I am loving the show, though I did not expect the large amount of profound sexual content and nudity. That's not to say I am disappointed, but it came as a surprise. (No pun intended)

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  8. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I've read all four of the books so far (fifth is coming out this summer!) and I strongly recommend this series to anyone who likes fantasy. In my opinion, A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best fantasy series out there.

9. teamSODA

teamSODA Member

May 12, 2011
    I've read the first three books and am halfway through the fourth. I'm caught up on the show, too. I suggest watching/reading both. The book is much more satisfying because George RR Martin includes so much detail, however, the series is just pure awesome as well.

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009

:(

Haven't felt this way since season 5 of 24.

11. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I gave the show a second chance the plot did develop a bit and it's more interesting now I guess I wrote it off a little early but I think they probably lost quite a few viewers with the first few episodes.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  13. walsh06

AAAAAAHHHH!! Im in shock after just watching the final episode. THat was freaking awesome :D This is gone right up with my favourite tv shows.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Alex Ross cover for the graphic novel adaptation:

[​IMG]

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2011/06/29/bantam-to-publish-games-of-thrones-adaptation/

15. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've started on reading the first book and like the series I'm finding it a bit hard to get into them but I'll persist with it as I know it must get better. It's strange when I read other books like the Inheritance trilogy or the dark tower series I found it so much easier to get sucked into them and couldn't tear myself away.

I think these books probably have a good story but the writer isn't all that good or the book hasn't really taken me yet.

16. walsh06

What's your question?? If youre wondering if it's good then yes. But I have no idea what your asking.

17. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The show and books are epic. The only problem is the whole book series will be finished in a decade, so the wait is questionable. Each season/book has no real ending that leaves you unsatisfied and wanting more.

18. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    I really really like this series. It's kind of like Lord of the Rings but more realistic and with great casting. That Joffrey is incredibly annoying though :mad:

19. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #20 Teknikal, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    I only found out a lot of it was filmed here in Northern Ireland I didn't even realise when I watched it. I was talking to someone who said they got a part as an extra and I didn't believe them at first in fact I'll be honest I didn't believe them at all until I checked wiki.

Makes me want to watch it again now and actually pay attention to the scenery as it's all places I should have recognised.

Edit:

I actually have started to rewatch it again now and I think reading the start of the book helped tremendously with the plot when you know all the little details the show is much more enjoyable and to me easier to follow.