★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Sharpen your ninja survival skills in this fast-paced addicting ninja fight-for-your-life!! Caught stealing a sacred scroll and cornered on a rooftop you must dodge throwing-stars, dynamite and fire arrows, while catching sushi and riceballs for health! Push your reflexes to the limit and don't get hit!

*** MENU ART GLITCHES APPEAR ON IPHONE 4S, I totally can't fix this 'cause the code is super old now ***

*** Recommended for iPhone 3GS, 3rd generation iPod Touches, and iPhone 4! This game is graphically intensive and performance may vary on older devices! It definately won't run on 2nd Gen or older devices! ***

Elusive Ninja: The Shadowy Thief
http://www.elusiveninja.com/

Bulletproof Outlaws
http://www.bulletproofoutlaws.com/

REVIEWERS SAY:

"The graphics in this game are superb. The controls are flawless, efficient and extremely easy to pick up. Get ready to dodge attacks and see how long you can last!" - AppAdvice

"Elusive Ninja is drop dead gorgeous and is easily one of the most artistic apps to come out of the Calgary development community." - yycapps.com

"The graphics in this game look very smooth and the bright colors make for a fun environment." - TiPb

"The controls are perfect" - iPad App Server

Hey, I'm the guy from Bulletproof Outlaws, a new game studio I started up solo from scratch in an attempt to chase a childhood dream of developing awesome videogames. This is my first game and I hope you all dig it! Working with Derek of Ravenous Games (developers of the epic action platformer League of Evil for iPhone) we crammed a ton of polish into the art and tightened the gameplay up nice and solid.

I documented the development process on a daily basis, so if you want an inside glimpse into the step by step creation of a videogame from start to finish, there's a ton of behind-the-scenes artwork, game design, general videogame philosophy at: http://www.bulletproofoutlaws.com/

So what's it got?

Epic full-screen visuals, I wanted it to look like a solid action anime!

A whole bunch of behind-the-scenes Bonus Features for my fellow game developers and gamers who've thought about getting into the industry! Everything from a Post-Mortem to the original Game Design Document with commentary on how the final game compared to the original design!

Leaderboard support (both OpenFeint and Apple Game Center) so you can compete with the whole world or stick to one-upping your close group of friends!

Achievements (OpenFeint and Apple Game Center) to give you some extra challenges to shoot for when you've got your skills rockin'

Super tight controls, and a difficulty curve that's challenging but not impossiblethe AI gets smarter the longer you last but there are a few strategies to discover and master that'll help you survive the most chaotic situations!

An abundance of flashy art and explosions! I like making things glow in Photoshop haha

Opportunities to yell at me! I'm big on user feedback, so I made sure to include a form in-game for reporting bugs, requesting features, sending ideas for future games/sequels/etc. and I'd totally love to hear what you guys think!

A whole lotta' love! This is my first full-blown professional game and as soon as I finish this one I'm going to start on the next!

@BPOutlaws - Follow me on Twitter like a creepy stalker!

http://www.elusiveninja.com/ - The official Elusive Ninja website!

http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/elusive-ninja-the-shadowy-thief/faq/ - Help & Support!

http://bit.ly/elusiveninja_presskit - Press Kit with raw screenshots, in-game art, etc.!

Enjoy the game everyone! And watch out for ninjas on your rooftop, those guys pop up EVERYWHERE!

- Jeff

[ quickdraw@bulletproofoutlaws.com / www.bulletproofoutlaws.com / @BPOutlaws ]

BPO_Quickdraw's comments:
Hey everyone! We finally finished our first game, Elusive Ninja: The Shadowy Thief (click here for the TouchArcade "coming soon" thread with devblog links and stuff):

App Store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elusive-ninja-the-shadowy/id435406732?mt=8&ls=1

E3 promotion is over! Currently writing this about to hit day2 of E3 which is awesome but terrible timing for getting any marketing done haha

Hope you guys dig it, it's my first iPhone game and I tried to cram a lot of polish into it!

- Quickdraw
06-06-2011, 03:56 AM

Sweet looking game, looks really nice!!!

06-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepshow View Post
Sweet looking game, looks really nice!!!
Thanks! I put a lot of work into the art and balancing the gameplay! Hope you all dig it, I'm psyched to start working on my next game haha

- Quickdraw
06-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Are you planing to do a Lite Version too since i am burning to do a HD Gameplay Trailer about it?
06-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Game Impressions

Ok picked this up because I loved the artwork and like supporting small developers .

Basically it's a dodge em game in this case ninja stars , dynamite etc . You do this by touching the bottom half of the screen and moving your finger left to right or vice versa . There are also food items that replenish lost health that you can catch . There is also a deflection meter that fills up which can be activated by touching the top half of the screen .

Ok let me start by saying the artwork is great as is the presentation . But unfortunately I feel the gameplay has a major flaw and it is this because the objects come from the front of the screen you have no idea they are coming I know that sounds like that is the point but because they come so quick you end up just randomly moving left and right hoping that you avoid them . So the game just ends up with loads of items coming at you with you franticly moving your finger in hope which unfortunately doesn't constitute a game .

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!
06-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Ok picked this up because I loved the artwork and like supporting small developers .

Basically it's a dodge em game in this case ninja stars , dynamite etc . You do this by touching the bottom half of the screen and moving your finger left to right or vice versa . There are also food items that replenish lost health that you can catch . There is also a deflection meter that fills up which can be activated by touching the top half of the screen .

Ok let me start by saying the artwork is great as is the presentation . But unfortunately I feel the gameplay has a major flaw and it is this because the objects come from the front of the screen you have no idea they are coming I know that sounds like that is the point but because they come so quick you end up just randomly moving left and right hoping that you avoid them . So the game just ends up with loads of items coming at you with you franticly moving your finger in hope which unfortunately doesn't constitute a game .
I picked this up mainly on the strength of the graphics. The presentation is excellent.

Dodging things from the front is a always a bit awkward, but that's the point of this game, so I won't knock it too much. My only two issues with the game:
- Ninja stars seems to slide with you a bit when you move. Maybe it's just me, or their trajectory occasionally curves drastically during the last 1/3 of it's movement.
- When you're hit, there's a split second before you can move again. I have been hit again during this period a few times, and one game I even lost all 3 strikes because I couldn't move. This happened around 1:10+, when things fly at you pretty fast.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

Last edited by strivemind; 06-06-2011 at 06:19 AM.
06-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer:

Note:

A few Minutes into the Game.
06-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Game Impressions

Your ninja is trapped on a rooftop in a stormy night, and is being assaulted with a barrage of obstacles that you must dodge. Get hit by a shuriken, a flaming arrow, or a bundle of dynamite. The onslaught quickly speeds up, and you are only give 3 hits before losing. You may regain a life by catching a rice ball, or all of your lives by retrieving a boxed bento. Gameplay starts off easy, but ramps up the difficulty rather quickly. Unfortunately, being hit does not offer any grace period, but instead freezes you for a moment. After a minute or so of dodging, items may be flying so fast that you can be hit repeatedly, losing all of your lives in one cheap ending.

The Ninja follows your finger, so touch or drag him to dodge. The recommended method is just holding your finger on the screen, and moving it around to avoid being hit. A meter constantly charges, and when full, you may touch the top 1/4th of the screen to activate a very short reflection shield. Being a left-handed player, Ive found that the pause button gets in the way of using the shield, since its located directly in the top right corner.

Elusive Ninja is anything but shadowy. The art style is really excellent, and perfectly fits the game. Everything from the glowing background, to the swirling fire arrows, to the rain drops pattering on the roof, and even the menus and UI look great.

The sound effects really suit the game, and the funky retro Hong-Kong cinema theme during the menu is memorable. However, the in-game rock music is a bit more forgettable.

Game content is shallow, and probably wont hold your attention for long. Theres only one game mode, with no variations, and there are only 3 objects to dodge. Apart from the core game, there are a few bonus features provided by the developer, such as various production diaries and history of the studio. These are basically just links to pages on Bulletproof Outlaws website.

Game Center and OpenFeint are integrated along with the prerequisite achievements and leaderboards.

While being full of great style, Elusive Ninja is lacking in the content and gameplay to keep it from melting into the shadows.

3/5

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
06-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Damn. Went to go buy it and it went up to $1.99. Guess I won't be getting it reviews don't seem to good anyways.
06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Are you planing to do a Lite Version too since i am burning to do a HD Gameplay Trailer about it?
Nah, the game itself is pretty simple (going for simple but polished) so there's not much to really do to it to make a Lite Version.

- Quickdraw