★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game Center Update: Whats New For It?

06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Game Center Update: Whats New For It?

Game Center is about to get a whole lot better than it ever was! To see a video on the new IOS update go to this link http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

Taken From Apple.com/ios/ios5.com
Quote:
iOS is the world’s most popular gaming platform. With iOS 5, you can get your game face on with even more Game Center features. Post a profile picture. Meet your match with new friend recommendations based on the games you play and the players you already know. Discover new games without leaving Game Center. And size up an opponent on the spot with new overall achievement scores.1
So to go over what is getting added to GC
-Avatars: You can now display your avatar/profile picture for everyone to see.
-Achievement Leaderboards: Now i think everyone agrees that this is something Game Center was missing. Well its now here! We can see where we are compared to our friends in Achievement Rankings!
- Friends: You can now search for Game Center Friends by name, It even gives you a list of reccomended friends!
- Games:Game Center now tells you what games are the best. You can now see games ratings in the app plus "you can now buy games in Game Center!" There also is now increased support for turn-based games.
- OtherSome parts of the app have been redesigned and look better than ever. Game Center requests now show up on lock screen.

Also they released IMessages that allows you to chat to contacts just like it was MSN. It will be interesting to see if this supports friends from GC.

Now it is clear that this will only be available to those with a IPod Touch 3G, IPod 4, IPhone 3GS, IPhone 4, IPad, IPad 2.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!

Last edited by triggywiggy; 06-06-2011 at 02:41 PM.
06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
Also, increased support for turn-based games. It appears all the heavy lifting will be handled by GC.
Yeh, I have it all on a pad, Can't type it up now, Things still on. THIS IS AWESOME. ICLOUD!

App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!

06-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Well just to copy and paste from slide to plays live blogging:GC has 50 million users so far. XBL only has 30 mil. Photos added, see friends of friends, compare achievement points, suggest friends and games, download games through GC, support for turn-based games.

Seems like some good improvements but have to wait until fall

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Also to add on anyone seen that Notification Center?

Shall i turn this thread into a IOS5 Info thread?

06-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Also look at what new apps we get, Newstand, Messages, Photo editing, Reminders!

06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Damn, this definitely sounds pretty awesome. Online play and friend networking are pretty much always the most important parts of games for me. I'll take a decent online game over a good single-player game any day. Those new default apps look really cool as well.

Twitter: @back2this
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Damn, this definitely sounds pretty awesome. Online play and friend networking are pretty much always the most important parts of games for me. I'll take a decent online game over a good single-player game any day. Those new default apps look really cool as well.
Yeh Apple have gone all out with gun's blasting with this update! Cya Google, Microsoft.

See you Palaringo :P

06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
All sounds good to me and much needed. These new GC features plus the new OS 5 features(particularly updating devices without the need of syncing to your PC anymore) sound like solid updates. Looking forward to seeing them all in action.

Game Center: Diligence
06-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
All sounds good to me and much needed. These new GC features plus the new OS 5 features(particularly updating devices without the need of syncing to your PC anymore) sound like solid updates. Looking forward to seeing them all in action.
You can now get a new IDevice and set it up without a PC or MAC

06-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
You can now get a new IDevice and set it up without a PC or MAC
Yeah, thats dope!

Game Center: Diligence