★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Under Clouds Games

04-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Under Clouds Games

OK, I know I'm slightly bending the rules here posting about these particular iPhone / iPod Touch games, because they're not actually officially SDK games, and are in fact browser-based games which you can play for free via Safari on your iPhone / iPod Touch... but for those who haven't tried them and don't know about them, I'd thought I'd make this post...

They are pretty damn good games, and I really don't know why they haven't been turned into official SDK games, available through the App-Store, even though they play pretty much like "official" games when played through Safari anyway.

The link to all their games is here, and I'd recommend checking 'em out:
http://www.underclouds.com

Check out that link on your iPhone or iPod to play the games.
Oh, and by the way, you *can* also play them through your desktop browser with a mouse. Double bonus!

Specific details about the games:

Fusoid
Action

Burst
Action

Spellgaze
Multiplayer!
Puzzle

Roll Quest 2
Puzzle

Think Racer
Puzzle Racing

Gravity Swarm
Action

Penguin Attack
Puzzle

Castle Feud
Multiplayer!
Action

Gravity
Action Puzzle

Color Rush
Multiplayer!
Puzzle

Gem Twister
Puzzle

Magic Crystals
Action Puzzle

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
04-16-2009, 06:05 AM
I tried a couple of them, nice games, pretty polished.

The reason that these aren't on the AppStore yet could be due to the fact that it is much easier to create a game on the browser. It's generally simpler to create JavaScript applications that utilize the DOM rather than to work with Objective C.

04-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
I tried a couple of them, nice games, pretty polished.

The reason that these aren't on the AppStore yet could be due to the fact that it is much easier to create a game on the browser. It's generally simpler to create JavaScript applications that utilize the DOM rather than to work with Objective C.
Undoubtedly... I'd still love to see these on the App-Store though, and I'm sure the trouble the guy(s) would go through porting them over would be well rewarded with good sales. They've got quite a catalogue of games, and they're pretty awesome games at that.
Sell 'em each for 99c and they'd more than get their "time-and-money-spent" back. Heck, even hire a one-off 3rd-party coder to do the work for a fixed fee if they're not au fait with Obj-C.

04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Update:

I sent an email to the Under Clouds guys earlier this morning, and I just got this reply:

Quote:
We currently have native iPhone games in development, so stay tuned for announcements soon and web site updates

Best regards,
Sergey
Under Clouds Games

04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
good post. becuase you see I never even knew you could play "browser" games on the iphone with Safari. I am gonna check these out. btw......I know this is kinda off topic but what does SDK actually stand for?

My Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/no-fury
Gaming Device: iPhone 6 - iPad Air 2
04-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral75 View Post
good post. becuase you see I never even knew you could play "browser" games on the iphone with Safari. I am gonna check these out. btw......I know this is kinda off topic but what does SDK actually stand for?
SDK = Software Development Kit

These games are pretty good! Good find Brett.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Brett

It got challenging at times to make them run fast enough though on iPhone, but browser games were great to test out new game ideas and get some great feedback. I could just convert them to native ones, but hey, what's the fun in that. So, I just finished new iPhone engine and editor, can finally concentrate on new native games

Sergey

Under Clouds Games | Follow us! @underclouds
Our games: BeamOut
04-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qiller View Post
Thanks Brett

It got challenging at times to make them run fast enough though on iPhone, but browser games were great to test out new game ideas and get some great feedback. I could just convert them to native ones, but hey, what's the fun in that. So, I just finished new iPhone engine and editor, can finally concentrate on new native games
Hi Sergey, and welcome to to the TouchArcade forums.
Looking forward to your new games!

04-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Thanks Brett for bringing this to my attention, and inviting a developer in progress to TA
Welcome Qiller, to our community.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Suh-weet

Bending rules, Shmending rules; this is a great post.

Thanks for the heads up!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL