★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Smash, crash, crush! Tired of human oppression? So is the Goblin Horde! Help them design and build the ultimate War Machine, then rampage straight through the nearest enemy village... just dont expect those pesky humans to take it lying down.

Its just not mindless destruction. Theyve put a lot of thought into things.


***********************

PRAISE FOR GOBLIN WAR MACHINE:

"It's pretty awesome." Cory Doctorow, Boingboing.net

Surprisingly engrossing. The Observer

"Your spear is no match for my ENORMOUS CANNON BIKE!" -PCgamer

"Revenge is the sweetest when it involves rolling over your foes with a mechanical automaton of doom... if only regular exercise could this much fun -pc.ign.com

"Haha, yes! YES! How do you like me now, human scum?! HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW??" -jayisgames.com

If you want an incentive for taking out opponents, you need to know that the foes who survive go on to found disco and the modern talk show... Nothing is more meditative in the world of gaming than rolling right in a side-scroller and crushing everything in your path. -Videogamer.com

"We had a blast of it - it's great fun!" -NZGamer

"Theres laughs, theres killing, theres customization and physics based destruction ... If youre not in the least bit intrigued, youre quite probably dead inside." -botchweed.com

"I promise you will waste away hours of work time making your way through this one." -Michael Sheridan, Unwinnable.com

**********************


FEATURES:

(Please note: Goblin War Machine is free to play, but some features are only available with the purchase of an in-game expansion pack. In-app purchasing involves real money, so if you don't want this feature to be accessible be sure to disable it by adjusting your device's settings).

19 original levels, plus 17 more available via expansion pack!

12 unlockable bonus stages!

Over a million possible War Machine combinations.

Puns!

Dynamic Gobtech Physics Engine

29 increasingly crazed weapons, from the humble single cannon to the dreaded Kitchen Sink Gun. Of course, one of them fires flaming cows.

Rampage across a range of environments, including medieval cities, dwarf mines and riverside towns.

Heart-thumping original soundtrack.

Gratuitous jet-packs!

21 unique achievements.

Beautifully optimised HD graphics.

Race the clock to unlock secret items!

Face down a diverse selection of enemies, from knightly spearmen to fighter jets to some bad-tempered birds of unusual size.

Based on actual real historical events!*



*Or not.


********************


Visit bigblockgames.com for more screenshots and videos.

Follow us on Facebook- search for "BigBlockGames."
or on Twitter: @bigblockgames
or just around the street, if you can find us. Well all be wearing Goblin themed T-shirts.
06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
#2
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,244
This is actually a lot of fun. I have not seen where the IAP is yet but I am impressed with what is here.

06-06-2011, 07:20 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,244
Played deep enough to get to the IAP. The IAP is $2.99 and unlocks the rest of the levels. The free version of this is fantastic so I will be buying the full. The free portion is pretty generous IMO.

There are a lot of upgrade to buy (not real money)which give you great weapons ect.
06-06-2011, 10:28 PM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Played deep enough to get to the IAP. The IAP is $2.99 and unlocks the rest of the levels. The free version of this is fantastic so I will be buying the full. The free portion is pretty generous IMO.

There are a lot of upgrade to buy (not real money)which give you great weapons ect.
Just wanted to chime in -- this is really a tremendous amount of fun. Take Demolition Dash, give the player full directional control, add three (or four, or five) more layers of depth to the gameplay, sprinkle a wicked sense of humor, and you've got Super Goblin War Machine. The fact that the free portion of the game is so generous is just icing on the cake. A great find.
06-07-2011, 12:02 AM
#5
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
Game Impressions

I think the upgrades are what really makes this fun. I particularly like the fact that the upgrades aren't always an "improvement," but you just get that sense of tinkering with the possibilities.

I think I would have liked the movement controls to feel tighter, but then again they do have that "goblin workmanship" wobbliness to them, so perhaps it's appropriate.

Played for around 40 mins and no sign of the IAP yet. I have a feeling once I get to it there's a good chance I'll feel guilty to not get it, if nothing else, for the enjoyment provided to that point alone.

Minor quibbles about the upgrade menu layout being all in a single straight line you have to scroll through, and the need to exit a level and physically go to a shop to try upgrades then back again. Then back again if you immediately don't like it. On the fly tinkering via a pause menu would have felt more streamlined and more conducive to experimenting. Come to think of it, would like to see some kind of sandbox/training grounds level where you can do just that.
06-07-2011, 01:15 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I think the upgrades are what really makes this fun. I particularly like the fact that the upgrades aren't always an "improvement," but you just get that sense of tinkering with the possibilities.

I think I would have liked the movement controls to feel tighter, but then again they do have that "goblin workmanship" wobbliness to them, so perhaps it's appropriate.

Played for around 40 mins and no sign of the IAP yet. I have a feeling once I get to it there's a good chance I'll feel guilty to not get it, if nothing else, for the enjoyment provided to that point alone.

Minor quibbles about the upgrade menu layout being all in a single straight line you have to scroll through, and the need to exit a level and physically go t
o a shop to try upgrades then back again. Then back again if you immediately don't like it. On the fly tinkering via a pause menu would have felt more streamlined and more conducive to experimenting. Come to think of it, would like to see some kind of sandbox/training grounds level where you can do just that.
I left a review earlier and my only complaint was the upgrade menu, it really needs to be easier to navigate. I am really enjoying this game and I am really surprised at how many levels were free. $3 for the second half of the game seemed pretty reasonable, so I bought it.
06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
#7
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 293
No screen flip = no purchase for me. Nit picky perhaps, but I don't want to hold my iPad upside down (if there is such a thing).

Fairly entertaining for the most part though, with very good & humorous blurbs at the end of each level. Goodly amount of free content too, and lots of different items, parts & weapons to try out.
06-08-2011, 08:41 AM
#8
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

We're planning to do an update in a few days with some minor fixes. I'll look into whether I can get screen rotating to work properly - anyone else have any suggestions for changes?

Not being able to test your war machine in the shop seems to be a pretty common complaint, and I'll try to squeeze that one in there too.
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 81
Hey great job on the release, reitzensteinm. Definitely a lot given away free, so I hope it comes back to help you in the long run.

-Mike
06-08-2011, 11:44 AM
#10
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Harv View Post
No screen flip = no purchase for me. Nit picky perhaps, but I don't want to hold my iPad upside down (if there is such a thing).

Fairly entertaining for the most part though, with very good & humorous blurbs at the end of each level. Goodly amount of free content too, and lots of different items, parts & weapons to try out.
The Game is FREE. So don't know what the problem is.