★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iBrillity: New 3D Puzzle

04-16-2009, 08:26 AM
iBrillity: New 3D Puzzle

iBrillity - $2.99 - 4.8 MB

iBrillity Lite - Free - 4.9 MB

The game description is confusing and the developer's site looks like something in progress but the fact that it uses a 3D engine caught my attention.

Basically you select a gem and the possible moves will be highlighted. Then you select one of them and they will swap positions by rotating the entire axis (something that you can see in the screenshot below).

Initially you have to match 4 but this number increases along the levels. If you can't match with a move you will lose one of the 10 lives that you have per level.

Finally, after a match you can tilt in order to place the new gems where you want so you can build some combos.

PROS
  • Nice 3D graphics
  • Nice 3D animations
  • Nice effects (when getting a bonus or something)
  • Subtle sounds
  • Music is just OK (it can be a bit repetitive but you can set sound and music volumes apart)
  • Smooth gameplay
  • Lots of bonus gems

CONS
  • It's not colorblind aware
  • Only one game mode
  • Only one difficulty mode
  • No online high score
  • You have to write your name everytime you make a high score

It's a really nice game and some additions may turn this in a 5/5 puzzle for sure.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 04-30-2009 at 11:51 AM.
04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
iBrillity - $2.99 - 4.8 MB

The game description is confusing and the developer's site looks like something in progress but the fact that it uses a 3D engine caught my attention.

Basically you select a gem and the possible moves will be highlighted. Then you select one of them and they will swap positions by rotating the entire axis (something that you can see in the screenshot below).

Initially you have to match 4 but this number increases along the levels. If you can't match with a move you will lose one of the 10 lives that you have per level.

Finally, after a match you can tilt in order to place the new gems where you want so you can build some combos.

PROS
  • Nice 3D graphics
  • Nice 3D animations
  • Nice effects (when getting a bonus or something)
  • Subtle sounds
  • Music is just OK (it can be a bit repetitive but you can set sound and music volumes apart)
  • Smooth gameplay
  • Lots of bonus gems

CONS
  • It's not colorblind aware
  • Only one game mode
  • Only one difficulty mode
  • No online high score
  • You have to write your name everytime you make a high score

It's a really nice game and some additions may turn this in a 5/5 puzzle for sure.
So what kind of bonus gems besides the standard rainbow and bomb? Is it untimed?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
No time.

Bonus that I saw so far: bomb (nice effect here!), rainbow, gem that does not match, gem that is locked (like in trism), life + and life -

04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Nasty Score Entry Bug?

Hey Carlos-Sz,

Have you had any trouble entering scores from games ending in the 17th or higher levels?

I had played and entered many scores w/o a problem but now two game when my game ended at the 17th level and I was prompted to enter my name, no name entry box appeared (nor keyboard) and then promptly crashed out of the app.

My iTunes Reviews
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Hey Carlos-Sz,

Have you had any trouble entering scores from games ending in the 17th or higher levels?

I had played and entered many scores w/o a problem but now two game when my game ended at the 17th level and I was prompted to enter my name, no name entry box appeared (nor keyboard) and then promptly crashed out of the app.
I've just played the game but I could not reach level 17 (12th here) but I'll try again to see if I can reproduce it.

Here's what it looks like another issue:

1 - I started a game
2 - At level 10 I got a phone call
3 - I was able to continue it without any problem
4 - I finished the game and entered my name
5 - After that the main menu is displayed and the "Continue" is disabled; however, if I press iPhone home button then start the game again the "Continue" is enabled again and I can play from level 10 again

By the way, did you like the gameplay?

04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
I've just played the game but I could not reach level 17 (12th here) but I'll try again to see if I can reproduce it.

Here's what it looks like another issue:

1 - I started a game
2 - At level 10 I got a phone call
3 - I was able to continue it without any problem
4 - I finished the game and entered my name
5 - After that the main menu is displayed and the "Continue" is disabled; however, if I press iPhone home button then start the game again the "Continue" is enabled again and I can play from level 10 again

By the way, did you like the gameplay?
Hmm, odd.

Yeah, I think it's cute, the whole axis-spinning, and it does get tougher later on. I re-installed it and will see if my weird crash still happens.

My iTunes Reviews
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Is holding a review as collateral fair or just pissy on my part?

Hey Gang,

I really like this game and HOPE the developers will get back to me on the crash bug. Bugs happen, it's just a fact of life, but to me it is all about how the developers choose to handle such bugs. I reported my problem to them early yesterday and still haven't gotten anything back so today I posted my App Store review that, while essentially positive mentions my crash bug and rates the game a 3. I go on further to explain that this is only a placeholder score and that if the developer is willing to look into this bug it will jump to a 5 and if I feel I'm being stonewalled it will drop to a 1.

My iTunes Reviews
04-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Hey Gang,

I really like this game and HOPE the developers will get back to me on the crash bug. Bugs happen, it's just a fact of life, but to me it is all about how the developers choose to handle such bugs. I reported my problem to them early yesterday and still haven't gotten anything back so today I posted my App Store review that, while essentially positive mentions my crash bug and rates the game a 3. I go on further to explain that this is only a placeholder score and that if the developer is willing to look into this bug it will jump to a 5 and if I feel I'm being stonewalled it will drop to a 1.
Fair enough.

A 3/5 is a reasonable rate for a game that has a reproducible bug.

04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I am REALLY enjoying this game, more than I thought I would.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Has anybody else experienced my score posting bug for scores from 17th level or higher?

My iTunes Reviews