★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game Center saves?

06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Game Center saves?

Think Apple will ever go with the concept of game saves in a "cloud" via Game Center?

My iPod got stuck on the Apple logo yesterday and after many hours I couldn't get it to come back on. At first, my PC wouldn't even recognize it. And, unfortunately, when it finally did, it would not let me do a restore from backup. I've actually been having a lot of problems syncing in the last 6 months so it wouldn't have done much good.

That said, it's been a pain just redownloading apps let alone the fact that I lost all the progress on all my games (DH2 and Star Battallion were the ones I'm most pissed about. And damn, I was pretty close to getting enough puzzles solved in the Heist too). It would be nice if GC has "cloud" saving compatibility.

Probably too much to ask for but would love to see it in the next iOS update.
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I think its out the dev kit for it is out now. Icloud can be used by devs for their apps as well, so unless I am missing something, they can implement it as soon ios 5 hits this fall. Sorry to hear about your progress though. I would not know what to do if I was unable to restore from a backup.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Read an article on STP where they had cloud saving on their wishlist for Game Center 2.0.

Doesn't help my current situation, but it would be great if they do add it.
06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
As I understand it, iCloud's storage APIs are available to any app that is updated for iOS 5. So any game should be able to use it with an update. It wouldn't really be a part of Game Center as you would need to sign up for iCloud (but it is free, so why wouldn't you?). Also as iCloud is push based, it will automatically push your game save data to all your devices, like from your iPhone to your iPad which is pretty sweet.

iCloud (from Apple's site): http://www.apple.com/icloud/features...ts-backup.html
Apple apps are seamlessly integrated with iCloud, and we’ve given developers the tools to make their apps work with iCloud, too. So you’ll be able to paint a masterpiece, play a game, create reminders, edit stock lists, and more — and have it all stay with you on all your devices.

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD