★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dragon’s Lair 2: Time Warp - (by EA)

06-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Dragon’s Lair 2: Time Warp - (by EA)

Intl Version: http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dragons-lair-2-time-warp-world/id437563896?mt=8

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 06-09-2011 at 01:52 AM.
06-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Omg! Instabuy I love all the laser disc games.

06-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Omg! Instabuy I love all the laser disc games.
Amen to that brother! Snap!

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
06-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Nice! been waiting for someone to port this on a "decent" handheld ....InstaBuy 2 of the day so far...
06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
YU$$

ooh, nice. Looks like they even cleaned up the colors in the film a little bit, seems brighter than the computer / daphne versions!

With EA's allowing the movement buttons to be lit up as a "beginner" option, this might be the first real playable version of DLII on the market ever! I remember the issue with the original being that the scenes went on FOREVER as opposed to DL1 where just a few moves were required in each scene, making the sequel far more difficult (almost unplayable, IMHO).

Looking so forward to this!
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
WOOOWESOME !!!

At this point remains from the list the porting of Ninja Hayate and Time Gal...
This surprise made my day.

more laser please!
06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujibayashi View Post
ooh, nice. Looks like they even cleaned up the colors in the film a little bit, seems brighter than the computer / daphne versions!

With EA's allowing the movement buttons to be lit up as a "beginner" option, this might be the first real playable version of DLII on the market ever! I remember the issue with the original being that the scenes went on FOREVER as opposed to DL1 where just a few moves were required in each scene, making the sequel far more difficult (almost unplayable, IMHO).

Looking so forward to this!
I'd actually argue the sequel was a lot easier, due to the fact that every single move in the game had an accompanying "flash" to indicate where you should go. Of course there were a couple of moves where the timing window was extremely severe (chapter 6 IIRC), and a scant few where the flashes were missing altogether (or a color other than yellow). Making you go back to the levels where you missed the "treasures" though was kind of dirty pool, especially in the early days of its arcade shelf life, when nobody actually knew you were supposed to be collecting them in the first place.

I have fond arcade rat memories of all 3 Bluth games (DL, DLII, and Space Ace), and I remember spending a lot more quarters on DL than DLII. DLII is basically a "follow the yellow flash as quick as you can" whack-a-mole type game... and god do I love it.

Strangely enough I just bought all 3 Bluth games on my 3DS yesterday as soon as the store went live for $7.99 each, but I can't wait to pay another $2.99 for this version. Happy to see it finally got released. Having all 3 of these games on 2 different portables to play whenever I want is like a childhood dream come true.

Playing: Space Ace, Road Blaster, So Long Oregon, Necronomicon CG, 7th Guest, Deathsmiles
Waiting for: Mad Dog McCree, 11th Hour, Necronomicon CG update!
06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Just once, I wish Space Ace would go on sale. I have it in my wish list on Appshopper and it has never gone on sale in the 2 years I've had my ipod.
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this EA you are the BEST! I'll be buying this treasure immediately tonight.
06-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Game Impressions

Finally got a chance to spend some time with this title. Graphics look great. Animation seems to be cleaned up and the colors are really bright and crisp. The video looks awesome running on a 3GS.

Some nit-picky things for fans of the original arcade version so far though:

Something is "off", for lack of a better word, with the move sets that surround grabbing the treasures. In the original arcade machine, the treasure and an alternate move would flash at the same time. If you grabbed the treasure, the game would reset to right after you grabbed the treasure, where you would have to make the alternate move. As an example, on the first level when you get the arrow, the arrow and the opening in the right would flash at the same time. If you hit "up" to get the arrow, you'd then have to hit "right" after the animation of Dirk picking up the arrow completed.

In the iOS version, if you hit "up" to get the arrow, the "right" move is skipped. In fact, if you do hit right, you'll immediately pick up the next treasure (the bow). However, if you choose not to get the arrow (and just hit right), this will still be counted as a correct move (and you'll miss the arrow).

Oddly enough, this is kind of the reverse of a problem with the other console conversions I've played (DSiware and PS3). In those versions, once you grab the treasure and subsequently die (causing you to restart from a checkpoint before the treasure), trying to grab the treasure again is counted as an incorrect move. In the arcade machine, if you died after already grabbing the treasure, you could still grab it again after restarting from the checkpoint. In the iOS version, you can grab it again if you restart from an earlier checkpoint, but the move directly after it will still be skipped.

Another thing I've noticed with this version of DLII is I'm finding it a lot
more difficult than I have any other version. For example, I bought the PS3 release last week, and blew through it relatively quickly (only had problems with the general "memory fog/indecision" in a couple of scenes). Same goes with the DSiware version. However, in this one, it took me multiple tries just to make it past the first scene. Mind you, some of that was messing around to figure out what was going on with the "treasure" move-sets discussed above. I don't think there's any problem with the move timing on this release or anything like that. It almost feels like the buttons are a little bit smaller/harder to hit (even on the medium setting). In the other iOS Bluth releases (DL and Space Ace), it seemed like setting the controls to medium made all of the controls bigger/easier to hit. In DLII, it almost seems like it just spaces them out more, making you have to pay more attention to them to hit them directly. The actual size of the buttons themselves doesn't seem to increase.

Also, there are so many moves in DLII that, though you do rely on your memory somewhat, you're also constantly looking for visual cues/the flashes. I have a feeling using your thumbs on the screen/the control overlays might mess with this a little bit and add to the difficulty.

So, long and short of it is, the moves directly after grabbing the treasures are missing, and the controls seem just a bit sticky. This is very very nit-picky stuff from someone that played/plays a hell of a lot of the arcade version though, and should in no way influence anyone's decision to purchase.

However, all this being said, it seems like Digital Leisure did a bang up job on this release, and for $2.99, it's by far the cheapest version of DLII you're going to find anyway. I've only had a chance to play through the first couple of levels though, will come back and report if I find anything else of interest later on.

Playing: Space Ace, Road Blaster, So Long Oregon, Necronomicon CG, 7th Guest, Deathsmiles
Waiting for: Mad Dog McCree, 11th Hour, Necronomicon CG update!