★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Frotz updated to v1.2. New features!

04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Frotz updated to v1.2. New features!

Frotz was updated yesterday. It now has a built-in FTP server. That means; you can copy games (and saved game files) from your computer, to Frotz on your iPhone. This feature really is a wonderful thing. For example; the Infocom collection is here, but some of the '.dat' extensions need to be changed to '.z5' before iPhone Frotz will recognize them. Now I can download any game to my mac, change the extension and send it to my phone over FTP. Thanks, Craig Smith. The entire Infocom library is my oyster.
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Send a message via AIM to Phil_Synowiec Send a message via Skype™ to Phil_Synowiec
Are you saying I can save "any" games game save or just Frotz?

04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
For those not familiar with Frotz, think of it as your Web browser to text-based video games. Way back when, video games were text based and evolved into what you know today as "choose your own adventure" type games. Interactive fiction is based on your responses/selections and determine the next steps in the game. It's just like reading a book except more interactive. There are thousands of games that you can access through Frotz (and you don't even need a live wi-fi connection).

Here's the write-up from TA if you want more info.

http://toucharcade.com/2008/08/13/fr...to-the-iphone/
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideToPlay Phil View Post
Are you saying I can save "any" games game save or just Frotz?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Frotz recognizes the 'quetzal' (I think) file type. That is the standard game save data file among Z-machines. So if you are playing a game in Zoom, but you want to continue your game on your iPhone; just copy the quetzal file over to iPhone Frotz.
04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Send a message via AIM to Phil_Synowiec Send a message via Skype™ to Phil_Synowiec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
For those not familiar with Frotz, think of it as your Web browser to text-based video games. Way back when, video games were text based and evolved into what you know today as "choose your own adventure" type games. Interactive fiction is based on your responses/selections and determine the next steps in the game. It's just like reading a book except more interactive. There are thousands of games that you can access through Frotz (and you don't even need a live wi-fi connection).

Here's the write-up from TA if you want more info.

http://toucharcade.com/2008/08/13/fr...to-the-iphone/
Ohhhh, ok I get it now. thanks
04-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice! I had no updates when I checked last night. So will this make it easier to transfer games? I have the Treasures of Infocom boxed set and would like to get some of those on the device.

So, it looks like I go to 'File Transfer' and select "Start File Transfer Server" which will start the FTP server on the iDevice. Then I can start an FTP client on the PC to transfer the files over?

I'm not on my home PC network at the moment, so I can't try this out right now. Just wanting to get an understanding of this.
04-17-2009, 01:53 AM
OK. I tried it out and it works GREAT! Just to help anyone who may have questions.

1) In Frotz, go to Settings (this is the little 'i' at the top).
2) Select 'File Transfer'
3) Click the button 'Start File Transfer Server'.
4) This lists the FTP location to use.
5) I am on Windows, so open up Explorer.
6) Type in the FTP link specified and click 'Enter'. I did not have to add the 'ftp@' they suggest. The directory should show up after a bit.
7) Go into the Games directory.
8) Now transfer your game files you have into this directory.
9) I copied the Starcross and Suspended files from my "Treasures of Infocom" installation and they both showed up in my list! FANTASTIC!
04-17-2009, 02:05 AM
I doubt anyone will care but every game listed and available at that location is illegal.

Infocom material is fully protected by copyright and downloading those games to play is theft.
04-17-2009, 02:15 AM
To those that use Dropbox and Zoom - or whatever the PC version is - save your files in there. I play on my machine and also on my mbp and this way means I can play from anywhere on the same game.
04-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markx2 View Post
I doubt anyone will care but every game listed and available at that location is illegal.

Infocom material is fully protected by copyright and downloading those games to play is theft.
The Canadian Copyright Act makes it clear in section 30.6;
"
It is not an infringement of copyright in a computer program for a person who owns a copy of the computer program that is authorized by the owner of the copyright to

(a) make a single reproduction of the copy by adapting, modifying or converting the computer program or translating it into another computer language if the person proves that the reproduced copy is

(i) essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer,

(ii) solely for the person's own use, and

(iii) destroyed immediately after the person ceases to be the owner of the copy; or

(b) make a single reproduction for backup purposes of the copy or of a reproduced copy referred to in paragraph (a) if the person proves that the reproduction for backup purposes is destroyed immediately when the person ceases to be the owner of the copy of the computer program.
"

So the fact that I purchased the DOS versions of the games does give me the right to a copy in the zX format. Please don't jump to conclusions, markx2; I have done nothing wrong.