★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

InAPP Purchases: What to do about the lawsuit and do we add it to games?

06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
InAPP Purchases: What to do about the lawsuit and do we add it to games?

So with Lodsys actually filing a suit against developers in a Texas court http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...n-eastern.html, are you still adding InAPP purchases? Unfortunately it looks like it could take a long time to get figured out as that is how court battles work.

Just curious how developers are reacting to this.
06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I would not change any plans due to these suits.

06-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Apple have responded to this (there was a piece on the front page about it) and they basically stomped on lodsys.

All this interference is over - as you were.
06-09-2011, 04:18 AM
I had to answer tthe question in iTunes Connect if I had an app which can bring up copy right issues, before I could proceed.

I think Apple wants to get a list about devs with inapp purchase apps.

I have no inapp purchase enabled apps, but I plan to have at least one in the future.

I don't care about lodsys, because I am in europe and they can kiss my shiny ass. I don't care about american patent laws.

If they say, the actual dev is responsible for the system, well, in my country Lodsys has no patent on inapp purchase, so they can jump around in america as much as they want.
06-09-2011, 04:40 AM
I read through the patents Lodysys base the lawsuit on, and i cant even start to imagine how the hell they are going to sue and win against Apple.

Our app has IAP in it, and all the income comes from that as well.
Im not the least bit worried about it, but thanks for bringing it up, i havent heard about it before.
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Apple have responded to this (there was a piece on the front page about it) and they basically stomped on lodsys.

Although Apple responded, this didn't stop Lodsys. Read that blog posted by the OP. Lodsys even goes as far as saying in their blog that they will pay every developer they have sent documents to $1k if they are wrong about their patent.

I also read yesterday about a company filing a proactive lawsuit against the Lodsys patents:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/...ity-commences/

This is far from over.
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Offering developers a "bet" seems to indicate how shaky the ground is that they're stood on.

If I get any of these papers, they're going straight in the bin tbh.
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. It'd probably be cheaper for Apple to handle this problem and protect the developers than let them all get into trouble and have to deal with the backlash, a significantly larger number of legal cases regarding individual devs and bad PR.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. It'd probably be cheaper for Apple to handle this problem and protect the developers than let them all get into trouble and have to deal with the backlash, a significantly larger number of legal cases regarding individual devs and bad PR.
I've been sitting on a lite version of Cow Trouble with IAP to unlock the full game for the last couple of weeks waiting to see how this whole Lodsys thing would pan out, and just decided to submit it when they actually started suing. I doubt they'll come after us, unless we get a crapload of downloads (and if we do, well, then it's a problem I don't mind having). If worse comes to worse and they threaten us before the whole thing is resolved, I'd probably opt to just pay their stupid licensing fee. In all likelihood we'd only end up owing them a few bucks anyway

Oh No! There's Cow Trouble!

Last edited by BlueDog; 06-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

how is this over? i did not see anything from both parties saying this this is over. all there was apples response to lodsys claims and lodsys counter response to that.. which lead to lodsys going forward and sueing developers.. see the link in the firt post..

so how is this over when it just started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealtrebitsch View Post
I have no inapp purchase enabled apps, but I plan to have at least one in the future.

I don't care about lodsys, because I am in europe and they can kiss my shiny ass. I don't care about american patent laws.

If they say, the actual dev is responsible for the system, well, in my country Lodsys has no patent on inapp purchase, so they can jump around in america as much as they want.

if you don't care to release your product to the us market then you are right..

but if your location alone does not secure you from an lawsuit if you sell software in the us

the first link shows that lodsys are sueing not only us companies..