★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Topple 2 1.1 submitted (twitter/facebook challenge), need feedback for next one!

04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Topple 2 1.1 submitted (twitter/facebook challenge), need feedback for next one!

Hi everyone.

We just submitted version 1.1 for Topple 2 yesterday. We did a massive update to our Challenge mode.

-Facebook and Twitter support: post challenges directly to your favorite site
-Track win/lose versus challenger line.
-Challenge back the challenger when you win

-In addition: Rescue! Mode levels decreased in difficulty based on user feedback.

Check out some screens of the features here: http://tinyurl.com/ce6oys

We're already hard at work on another update. I wanted to take a moment to gather feedback from everyone while we're still nailing down our agenda.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to responses!

Allen
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Any plans to add anything to local WiFi multiplayer?

04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Sounds great! I am stuck on a rescue mission (have been for ages) so I'm happy that the difficulty level is being taken down a notch.

When can we expect the next update to Rolando?

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes! We are still fleshing out how best to enhance the local wifi multiplayer experience. If you have particular ideas, please list them.

(ps, purposefully not hinting at what we will add in order to get the most objective feedback )
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen at ngmoco View Post
Yes! We are still fleshing out how best to enhance the local wifi multiplayer experience. If you have particular ideas, please list them.

(ps, purposefully not hinting at what we will add in order to get the most objective feedback )
  • Ability to modify the height objective of the multiplayer match including a forever mode where you just keep building until one person loses 3 pieces.
  • Some kind of power up to distract your opponent or mess up his stack. (Thinking something along the lines of DDR multiplayer where you periodically can get power ups which do things like make your opponent's arrows wave back and forth, advance at inconsistent speeds, etc.)
  • A post-game rematch system or something other than just booting both players out to the main menu.

I'm not sure how you'd handle earning power ups is the thing. That's one thing I really really like about WordFu multiplayer though. Topple doesn't really have any kind of combo system that would be conducive to have them appear from doing something, and having them just show up randomly might be kind of brutal.
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Well I wish in local multiplayer that at the end it showed who won in total.
I also wish that we could set the amount of rounds we want to play, not be stuck with 3. And diferent backgrounds for multiplayer would be awesome.

Hopeully when 3.0 comes you will add Bluetooth p2p multiplayer.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't have the game, so I think my feedback may count as something unbiased. These are just general ideas that can applied to many games, but it can only make the game better if executed properly.

Achievements: games with achievements bring potentially huge replayability to a game (as long as the achievements take some skill to obtain, and I don't mean achievements like "Play the game for 24 hours")

A Wifi Infrastructure mode, sure it's fun playing against friends right next to you, but I want to be able to play against people world wide.

Global Leaderboards: Many games have this, so yours might already, but aside from achievements, there's nothing better than striving for a high score to get your name on a global leaderboard.
Global Leaderboards 1.5: The ability to submit your score online instead of it auto-submitting once you get the score. Also, the ability to see global scores that occur daily, weekly, monthly, and all-time. (As well as local high scores).

Now for a few modes that I myself would think to be fun after playing the first Topple.
New modes: Maybe a teeter-totter mode. (again, if the game already has this, sorry I have experience). A mode that requires balancing on a dynamic landscape.

Cavern mode: same game, different level. Having walls in a level would be interesting, it'd be great for rookies, but can also be made challenging for pro's. Random rocks can chip off the walls and fall onto the growing tower making things interesting.

Wrecking Ball: Not sure how successful this idea would be, but I'm just throwing it out there. Players are given a huge wall of random pieces pre-placed and are given a certain amount of tries to swing a wrecking ball it to knock down the most pieces. (Similar concept, use explosive "balls".) I think this idea would work best in multiplayer. (Having two towers at either end, players can use an assortment of tools to knock the opponents tower down, OR players can 'fling' their pieces of their tower, sort of a risk vs reward. You just have to be careful what pieces you fling)

Top-down: Players are given a pre-place tower and are asked to take bricks out in order to get the top piece down safely. Sort of a Jenga approach.

Life-Support: A mode that rewards you in-game for how good you do. This can be approached a million different ways, so I'll say the one I like most. In this game mode, players build a tower as they normally do, except now they have a fill-up bar on their HUD. The more successful drops placed, the more the bar fills up. What good is the bar? Well, the more you fill it up, the more support you can give to your tower. Think of it like ink. Players will draw various lines or obstructions that interact real time, but are held in place.
I know it sounds confusing so I'll give an example. Let's say a player is up there and having trouble keeping balance, he has half of his ink-bar filled. This would allow for 1 centimeter ink (The more ink you have, the more you can draw). So now he can 'draw' a line or whatever next to his pieces that would be locked in place, allowing for more balance. You get gradually get less ink rewarded to you as the game progresses, so it'd be best to save it. The idea is sloppy, but I think it'd be fun.
Those are just a few ideas, again sorry if these are already in the game. I wouldn't know otherwise.

Last edited by VoodooVyper; 04-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Added some more above ^
04-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
I don't have the game, so I think my feedback may count as something unbiased. These are just general ideas that can applied to many games, but it can only make the game better if executed properly.
Voodoo, you should really check out the game, ALOT of your ideas are already present in one form or another!

Edit: Oops, i should also mention that I will take the remaining ideas and add it to our needs and wants lists. Thanks!
04-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen at ngmoco View Post
Voodoo, you should really check out the game, ALOT of your ideas are already present in one form or another!
I expected that with the general ideas I gave, but what about the game modes?