★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why are the HD-Versions always more expensive?

06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Why are the HD-Versions always more expensive?

Hey.

I really wanna know why the HD-Versions of iOS-Games are usually more expensive than the Iphone/Itouch-Versions.

Im not a developer, so I wouldnt know too much about it, but if the Game is developed for Ipad and Iphone/Itouch arent the developers basically developing just "one game", but decide later on to charge more for the HD-Version?

Or is it really more expensive to develop the HD-Version? Im not sure. I just think they develop it in HD-Resolution first and then scale it down for the other devices.

It just bugs me, when I see some titles I really would love to buy and the Iphone/Itouch-Version is 0,99$, while the HD-Version is still 4,99$ e.g.

Thanks for any answers I might get
06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
It depends on the game...sometime they completely redesign it from scratch to utilize the larger interface, while sometimes it really just is a large-scale version of the same game. Think about it this way: why do most good PC and Mac games cost up to $49.99, while even the best games for iOS devices most of the time don't even go up price-wise over $9.99?

I really think part of it is psychological, people don't think of the iPod/iPhone has a major gaming system, but they think that the iPad is because it has a larger screen, meaning more potential for more functionality, while computers have even larger screens, so people find that there can be even more potential...so the price continually goes up the larger the screen?

Just my thoughts.

Founder and CEO - iTracki.com -- iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac Apps & News

06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
More content most of the time. And the iPad versions usually get better UI too. I prefer to play my games on the iPad just because it's easier n much more fun.
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Pixels are expensive. iPads are bigger.
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
The comments above are all true, but I'd like to clarify a little. If the game is 2D or uses 2D elements for UI, not only does that artwork need to be redone but at a higher resolution. The higher the resolution, the more time consuming the art is to create (assuming it's not just a simple upscaling, which wouldn't look that great). For 3D games you usually need to increase the texture resolution and maybe polygon count (for the iPad 2 say), which again is time consuming. Finally there is additional cost, in manpower and time at least, in order to support and test additional platforms.
06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Good thread! I agree that app store content can be undervalued. I guess it truly depends on developers and their budgets/motives. I'm all for extra content and ipad2 enhanced games for which I will gladly pay a premium.

But I dislike gameloft releasing an hd versions of the same game at a higher price months after the iPhone version with no new/additional content

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharillon View Post
I really wanna know why the HD-Versions of iOS-Games are usually more expensive than the Iphone/Itouch-Versions.
Simple: iPhone/iPod versions tend to be way under priced.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBox View Post
Simple: iPhone/iPod versions tend to be way under priced.
I agree but how can you justify charging sometimes 5x the price for an hd verision? Prime example angry birds, iphone is .99 and hd 4.99 for the same game. Ok you can zoom out more and see more of the level is that a good reason to justify the price difference though ?

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL
06-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Just not as many people have iPads so far.
Take angry birds for example.
If you have both versions and look at Game Center you will see around 500k users on HD and a few million on the regular version.

Some jeans costs 49.99 and some cost 19.99 they have the same thread. I just think the standard for iphone games is kind of low. And i can understand why given the quality of most games.

But if a company spends 6 months and spends 200k in hiring the best people to make a great game they get ripped for even trying to charge a fair price.

.99 cents is pocket change and it just takes a BUTTLOAD of sales to recoup costs.

There are a lot of games on the app store that could easily be 29.99 games
Sadly some top games never even see a dime of profit.
This just makes it a lot riskier for a company to invest in the platform.
Sure a descent programmer can turn out a more basic tap casual game in a few weeks but a larger title can easily cost an independent developer tens of thousands and months of full time work.

Just my thougts as a full time developer trying to pay the mortgage! lol

Last edited by robotsvswizards.com; 06-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
I agree but how can you justify charging sometimes 5x the price for an hd verision? Prime example angry birds, iphone is .99 and hd 4.99 for the same game. Ok you can zoom out more and see more of the level is that a good reason to justify the price difference though ?
What's to justify? Companies put tons of research into optimizing their pricing - if they determine that $4.99 brings in more revenue than $2.99 or $0.99 on a certain platform they'd be stupid to drop the price. Like it or not people are trying to make money here, it's not some hippy game free for all

You also shouldn't assume "simple" features (like zooming) are trivial to implement. None of that stuff is automatic - people might work days or weeks or months on the tiniest of details.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube