★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Future of iOS gaming: Vita and 3DS

06-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Future of iOS gaming: Vita and 3DS

So we've now been exposed to PS Vita and without a doubt, Sony is going directly at Nintendo and Apple with this device. With the touch screen capabilities along with physical buttons and a very reasonable price point, it is definitely a great new option for portable/mobile gamers.

Add in the 3DS and I'm curious what everything thinks about the effect of these two next-gen portables will have on iOS. Will this cut into the market, or do you guys think iOS will continue to be strong as it has been over the past few years?
06-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
So we've now been exposed to PS Vita and without a doubt, Sony is going directly at Nintendo and Apple with this device. With the touch screen capabilities along with physical buttons and a very reasonable price point, it is definitely a great new option for portable/mobile gamers.

Add in the 3DS and I'm curious what everything thinks about the effect of these two next-gen portables will have on iOS. Will this cut into the market, or do you guys think iOS will continue to be strong as it has been over the past few years?
Lol, the iOS market has only been growing in the past few years in how much of the portable gaming market share it controls, never faltering even once. It continues to do so everyday still, bringing in tons of new customers daily due to how easy it is to purchase a game and the low prices, that stack up in a way most people wouldn't expect.

From what I've seen so far on my 3DS, it's not a step-up in any way from the DSi and previous models of the DS as far as capabilities are concerned. They're running the same old hardware with improved graphics and improved controls. It's not going to pose much of a problem for the iOS. I actually see Nintendo's share of the portable gaming market to continue to decrease as the iOS and Android gaming continue to grow at significant rates. You're not going to be seeing too much revolutionary releases from Nintendo for the 3DS. Sure, quite a few of the games are fun, but um, it's the same deal as the DSi..From a tech spec perspective? Pure crap.

The Vita..it looks very impressive both from a technical and overhead point of view. We'll see if it's able to bring Sony back from the hell the PSP got it into though. The PSP was probably my most hated gaming platform to date. It was a failure in so many ways, most of all, in sales and revenue for Sony. But yeah, we'll see how well it'll sell. I don't understand why people are so shocked by the price point though. $250 sounds like the standard to me for what you're getting according to the last five years of the portable video gaming market. Not sure why the price of the console matters that much anyways. Unless you're planning on pirating games, you're going to be dropping $50 for each new purchase. That matters more. Selling watered down games for the same price as their PS3 counterparts? Great.

It's a fitting price, but no bargain in any way. The 3DS is just overpriced for what they've improved/added since the DSi. Sales for Nintendo are definitely reflecting that. But yeah, you're probably never going to find another platform that will attract developers and consumers alike at the rate the iOS does. The AppStore is generally still behind in quality in comparison to PSP and DS games, but that's going to change soon enough.

It doesn't really matter though. It's all about the money. Quality doesn't matter for shit if you're not selling. Price x Quantity determines everything for a company's sales, and Apple wins in both factors as far as the entire video game industry is concerned. Check out the rate at which iOS device owners increase daily and the number of paid apps that are purchased daily. The numbers are really something. They've got visibility. Until the majority of games start shooting up past the 1 GB mark regularly for iOS games (never), Apple is the future of portable gaming. Cartridges and discs are a thing of the past.

Apple already dominates as the biggest market share in the world. Look for Microsoft, Nintendo, and Motorola on the list. Apple's reign has already begun. Let's see what the A5 brings to the fifth generation.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 06-10-2011 at 02:52 AM.

06-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

No competition; the PSV and 3DS don't exist in the same market as iDevices, which double (or triple) as portable gaming, productivity and entertainment suites. Where-as owners of the former have access only to expensive, "tried and tested" games which are proven to be successful in the market (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc) or other big hits (Tekken, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Mario, etc etc), we iOS gamers have the hidden privilege of playing a multitude of games for a fraction of the cost.

I used to own a Nintendo DS (slim). Sold it.
I used to own a PSP. Twice. Sold it twice.
I owned an iTouch 3GS (32GB). Don't even use it, but still Have it.
I own an iPhone 4. Love it.
I own an iPad 2. Love it.

I don't need to worry about Cartridges, UMDs or other physical media. I can access a plethora of games and enjoy multiple, frequent sales. Hell, that in itself feels like a game: waiting for a game you want to go on sale for a long time, and getting that WINNING feeling once it drops to 0.99. It's 360-degree satisfaction all around for me.

With the use of the front-facing camera, there is potential for 3-dimensional involvement a-la the 3DS, as we've seen in i3D already (the tip of the iceberg). Things only go up from here

Gamecenter: KineticBlur
Now Playing (iOS): Hearthstone, Battleheart: Legacy
Now Playing (PS4): Watch Dogs
06-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iOS = WINNING!
3DS = LOSING!
Vita = ewwww.......

But i all seriousness, i think that the PS Vita and 3DS are going to inspire Apple to go above and beyond in terms of graphical performance and how much it can handle. We've already see fully fledged handheld games come to the iOS like GTA: Chinatown Wars and LEGO Harry Potter, and we've already seen console quality graphics from games like Dead Space and Infinity Blade. There's no doubt in my mind that these idevices are going to get better and better.
06-10-2011, 03:16 AM
First off i do a lot of gaming on my ipad2, iphone and ipod touch so Im not a nintendo nor sony fanboy.... The thing about gaming on IOS as of right now i dont really see it as a device for "hardcore" gaming (it has the potential just not there) RTS games have huge potential i have a lot of them and i in this case they work much better on here than on my 3DS or PSP GO. The adventure games on my PSP and DS just feel better with the physical controls. You can mention Infinity Blade and ill agree they got it down (They arent trying to use onscren "buttons" nor analog stick) the only problem for me is that it really has no story or depth. By no depth im not saying the accesspries i mean an engaging story that has me hooked. Also FPS games suck on PSP and havent gotten any on 3DS but the graphics killed it for me on older ds (maybe metroid prime game was ok but thats all) point is I love the gyroscope and my fling stick if only we had better graphics and story. I play my 3DS for controls mostly and graphics (rayman2 on ipod touch vs on 3DS or fifa11 vs PES) i guess what im trying to say is developers should try and use the touch technology and be creative with it make some games that are up to par with other portable systems games like mario, zelda, grand theft auto. I dont mean copy these games and throw some virtual controls on em, The IOS should have its own style of games, with depth not "cut the rope" or "fruit ninja" more along the lines of infinity blade (very original) make that into a compelling and attractive story with decisions and all that good stuff, make it an IOS exclusive and we have a "hardcore" gamers device...... Just my opinion i guess, im glad every year the games get better and better in terms of gameplay and graphics were getting there. I just dont see it as a replacement for the Vita or 3DS they are too different. I play mosty casual games, a couple shooters, of course RTS and strategy on my IOS devices, everything else adventure, RPG, Action, sidescrollers, sports (besides golf or pool), etc on my other portables.....
06-10-2011, 03:32 AM
In my opinion right now we still two different markets, one of 3DS/Vita, and other for iOS. While we've been receiving great titles with more depth, the lack of controls still makes some styles of games a bit unplayable (games like Street Fighter certainly are more fitting for the 3DS), but on the other side, by having a completly unique control system from the other platforms, it also brings some very unique games that could not happen anywhere else. For me, that is the strongest point of the iOS. A deep game with clever controls = win.
I would also love to have more Final Fantasy titles on the iOS, and as someone said, RTS games have lots of potential, especially on the iPad.
06-10-2011, 03:42 AM
haha thats pretty much everything i wanted to say. Very well put.... even tho the Vita has a touchscreen it's the same as an RTS on ipod touch it works but loses its appea with the tiny screen compared to iPad. Totally agree on the clever controls. gyroscope+touch ther is tons of possibilities. I still don't see myself in the future trying to decide whether to get the latest IOS device or Sony/Nintendo Device they are different experiences for me in terms of gameplay....
06-10-2011, 05:10 AM
With the psvita the only games that look good are uncharted and little big planet which will get boring soon and then you will have to wait a year or so before more games come out. as for the 3ds there are no good games for it yet.
06-10-2011, 05:26 AM
I can personally care less about console wars I have a xbox 360, ps3, wii, 3ds, psp(soon getting a vita), iOS, and would purchese any portable that xbox makes

Add Me on Gamecenter/Steam: Fireball926
06-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Awesome opinions. I guess I'll say my opinion now.

I tend to agree with the folks that say iOS is likely here to stay. I guess in many ways it really is a different market. Vita especially but the 3DS too is more appealing to the "hardcore" gamer. That is where you are going to find most of your big budget well known franchises. The iPhone has it's share of big name games now, but they tend to be on a much smaller scale aside from the occasional PSP/DS port (GTA:CTW, Civ: Rev etc..).

At the same time, I do think there is some overlap, especially when considering the iPod Touch. People with a limited budget for hardware are likely going to buy one or maybe two devices, and based on the potential gaming offerings you'll get from Vita and 3DS, it's tough to for mesee some people buying an iPod touch instead. With so many cell phones/smartphones with mp3 capabilities, I think MP3 players are dying a slow death and so really the focus of the iPod Touch I think is more on apps/games than anything else. Hopefullly the iOS gaming market can continue to evolve and help convince people to pick one up.

My main concern with iOS gaming vs the portables is that I really wonder just how much money there is to make on the App Store. Sure we have our suckles stories like Rovio or Firemint, but then this forum is flooded with commentary on devs who are barely able to scrape by on their sales. I just recently saw a post from the 100 Rogues dev taht basically said they make nothing. For a game that seemed to get a good amount of buzz for a while, it's a little eye opening to see that. Sure the big devs I'm sure do ok, but then I'm also sure EA makes more money from Madden alone than all of EA mobile combined. The finances of the App store just don't seem to make me think we'll be getting out of where are right now (mostly shovelware, high amount of puzzle/casual games, handful of "bigger" titles from big devs, periodic portable port/console like experience). I just don't see iOS getting much closer in terms of quality to 3DS or Vita anytime soon.

So I guess overall I don't see iOS dying off, but then again I also question where we go from here. I'd really like to see more full featured titles vs dozens of puzzle/casual games with the occasional "hardcore" release. I just don't see us progressing from that, and that makes me sad.