★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: spin or galcon?

11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
spin or galcon?

which one is better?
11-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Good question. Myself, I'm wondering if I should get Galcon or Trism.

As far as Sp!n is concerned, it's fun. However, I didn't play it very often. But don't think that it's boring because of what I'm saying because I only recently got my iPod Touch so there are MANY games trying to get my attention (SMB, Subway Shuffle, Enigmo, etc.)

Anyway, if someone can compare Galcon and Sp!n, maybe he/she can share some thoughts about Trism as well.

Stefan

11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
To answer both your questions - buy Galcon. It's easily one of the best iPhone games out there right now. The core gameplay is simple, deep, and addicting. Although the single-player is fun enough by itself, with several levels of difficulty to challenge you, the real value in this game comes from the multiplayer. With a wi-fi connection, it's really a cinch to get online and play against other people. Furthermore, if you make an account, the game will track your matches, and you can check your rank on the website. Really cool stuff.

To be honest, I found Trism disappointing. It struck me as a slightly-inferior Bejeweled clone (not that I've tried the iPhone version of Bejeweled). I suppose if you're really into puzzle games, it could be worth a shot. However, you might wanna bear in mind that you can find dozens of puzzle games for the iPhone for cheaper, or even free, and I don't really see how Trism differentiates itself from the back (it may have just been one of the first polished puzzle games on the app store when it was launched).

I've actually found Spin to be a pretty neat game. It's very polished - the graphics are psychedelic, and the soundtrack will get your heart racing with the frantic pace of the game. It's a game that I feel has been well-designed to fit the iPhone's touch screen, and with 100 or so levels, it'll keep you busy for a while.
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McChikun
To be honest, I found Trism disappointing. It struck me as a slightly-inferior Bejeweled clone (not that I've tried the iPhone version of Bejeweled). I suppose if you're really into puzzle games, it could be worth a shot. However, you might wanna bear in mind that you can find dozens of puzzle games for the iPhone for cheaper, or even free, and I don't really see how Trism differentiates itself from the back (it may have just been one of the first polished puzzle games on the app store when it was launched).
That's what I was afraid of. Maybe it was a must have earlier in the summer but not any more now in November.

Quote:
I've actually found Spin to be a pretty neat game. It's very polished - the graphics are psychedelic, and the soundtrack will get your heart racing with the frantic pace of the game. It's a game that I feel has been well-designed to fit the iPhone's touch screen, and with 100 or so levels, it'll keep you busy for a while.
agreed! I will probably come back to this game later on and get hours of fun out of it. Because once you start playing, it IS hard to put down!

Re: Galcon - I see all your points and I'm close to being convinced. The games in the Lite version just seem so short. Do some multiplayer (or other single player mode) games take longer? (like 1.5 to 2x as long) right now, I feel like it's very hard to change the direction of the game once one if the players is leading.

Thanks for your reply!

Stefan
11-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McChikun View Post
To answer both your questions - buy Galcon. It's easily one of the best iPhone games out there right now. The core gameplay is simple, deep, and addicting. Although the single-player is fun enough by itself, with several levels of difficulty to challenge you, the real value in this game comes from the multiplayer. With a wi-fi connection, it's really a cinch to get online and play against other people. Furthermore, if you make an account, the game will track your matches, and you can check your rank on the website. Really cool stuff.

Thanks, I might get it, not sure, spin looks really fun, and I like Galcon lite but am not addicted. Is it really THAT much better?
11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Spin!!
It's so fun and polished and all the reviews are positive too.
well, if you like the free Galcon lite, get it. If you don't, get Spin.
11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I like Galcon but it isn't the best game ever. That just really is not my cup of tea. I just got starwars and love it. It sucks the game is so short.
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Galcon just seems so simple, I don't know how the multiplayer makes it better
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLDROFHLA View Post
Galcon just seems so simple, I don't know how the multiplayer makes it better
my thoughts exactly. With Sp!n the gsmeplay remains the same but you progress though 100 levels so a game can take quite some bit of time.

Short games aren't bad but they must be interesting enough.
Do the extra 1p modes enhance the game?
I'm pretty convinced that playing online against toucharcade members does so I'm not worried about that.

Stefan
11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I just don't know whats so different about playing against real people vs the computer. spin looks fun though