★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ZOOKEEPER! The definitive version of the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch action puzzle App with 10 million players!

The App that reached No. 1 on both the Japan App Store's Paid and Games rankings has left its home territory to be featured on App Stores worldwide!

[How to play ZOOKEEPER]
This puzzle game is based on the simplest of rules: switch the positions of two adjacent panels in order to make rows of three or more.

Just touch the animal you want to move, slide it toward the animal you want to switch it for, and voila! The animals are switched.
If three or more of the same animals are lined up horizontally or vertically, those animals are caught.
Catch the target number of animals to advance to the next stage!

You can even see how your high scores match up against other players worldwide in the Game Center.
Aim for the top! Be the BEST ZOOKEEPER EVER!

[Modes]
NORMAL GAME
Catch the target number of animals on each stage, and aim to beat all stages in the game!

TOKOTON
Catch 100 of any animal to level up! A limitless mode for dedicated players.

ZOOKEEPER BATTLE
Play this online versus version of ZOOKEEPER, free of charge!
(Follow the ZOOKEEPER BATTLE link on the App Store.)

[System Requirements]
iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5, iPad or iPod touch (3rd generation or newer) with iOS 4.3 or newer.
Please update iOS version if your device is running iOS4.1 or 4.2.

pluto6's comments:

This was a favorite match-3 of mine on the DS. I am not sure about the dev company, but their offices are based in Japan, so likely they hold the game rights. (Edit) - someone reported that they are the rights holders (YEA). A fun match 3, in the vein of Piyo Blocks (Zookeeper technically came first, but not to iOS).

IMPORTANT

This runs great on the iPad and from reports, the iPad 2. I also tested it on a 3 GS and it works fine. But, with my iPhone 4, and with other people's reports the screen does not render properly. Hopefully the issue will get fixed quickly.

Developer's e-mail address : support_iphone@kiteretsu.jp
06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post

This was a favorite match-3 of mine on the DS. I am not sure about the dev company, but their offices are based in Japan, so likely they hold the game rights. A fun match 3, in the vein of Piyo Blocks, but has some fun scoring mechanics.
Agreed, my wife and I loved the DS version, I am sure I will pick this up.

06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Played it, the music is the same, the same animations, with the animals that still need to be grabbed with their angry faces... It does NOT have the quest mode... perhaps not a deal breaker, but I always liked that mode. It has the regular game mode where you have to get more and more of the various animals, and the Tokoton mode.

At the price, it is a faithful reproduction of the old Zookeeper on the DS, and so is a fun game.

Wishes - multiplayer, and the Quest mode like the DS version (which I consider the definitive edition of the game - although the Japanese version I think is supposed to be better than the English version)

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Picked this up earlier but i have a problem on my iphone 4 the playing area isnt central to the screen and the status bar is still visible try rebooting and reinstalling etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SketchBook Mobile.png
Views:	8
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	34183  

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!
06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
So is this basically like Piyo Blocks with different graphics?
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Picked this up earlier but i have a problem on my iphone 4 the playing area isnt central to the screen and the status bar is still visible try rebooting and reinstalling etc
I'm having the exact same problem on my iPod Touch 4th gen. I left that feedback in a review on iTunes, and noticed that someone else had too. So, hopefully, they will issue a quick patch.

They are also promising multiple FREE updates on their Web site, so maybe we'll get quest mode.

It does display perfectly on my iPad 2. The animal heads are freakishly large though.

XBox Gamertag, GC, OpenFeint, Plus+: tecwrtr
Senior Technical Writer - always happy to write reviews!
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post

I am not sure about the dev company, but their offices are based in Japan, so likely they hold the game rights.
I'm sure they hold the rights. I've been playing a flash version of the game on their website for years.

It can be found at http://pc.kiteretsu.jp/games/zka/zka.htm

I've always enjoyed it, obviously, but I have to agree with you that Quest is definitely the best mode. Hopefully they'll implement it in a future update.

Even without Quest Mode, this is still a good version of the game. Well worth the 2 bucks I spent the minute I saw that it was released.

PS
I'm not sure if you're allowed to post links. IF not, I apologize.
06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Oooh, I want this, but I am worried about the weird centering issue. Can you still play it even with that problem?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Oooh, I want this, but I am worried about the weird centering issue. Can you still play it even with that problem?
No as you lose half of one of the rows

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!
06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Game Impressions

I was absolutely ecstatic to see it released! It's been a favorite DS game of mine for years. I am REALLY hoping they fix the display issue though. If you're not using an iPad, it looks cropped just like HowlingWolf's picture.

XBox Gamertag, GC, OpenFeint, Plus+: tecwrtr
Senior Technical Writer - always happy to write reviews!