★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Activision: no Modern Warfare on iPhone until sure it won't be crowded out.

06-10-2011, 12:25 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Activision: no Modern Warfare on iPhone until sure it won't be crowded out.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/Various...ws.asp?c=30589
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ref=technology

Quote:
Speaking to the New York Times, Activision chief executive Eric Hirshberg told the paper that the company plans to test the waters with Call of Duty: Elite – the franchise's new online multiplayer service, also available (to a degree) via apps on iOS and Android.

However, no full Modern Warfare releases are forthcoming.

"There are 400,000 apps in the iTunes App Store," Hirshberg said. "I don't want to be number 400,001."

Hirshberg said it has to make sense from a business perspective for Activision to risk porting its big series over to mobile.

"What we're trying to do is use new technologies and new devices in gaming to strengthen our core business," he added.

"We don't just want to go and spread our roulette chips around the table. We also don't want to do anything that we can't do with excellence."

"[Mobile is] a double-edged sword," he concluded.

"On one hand you have a huge install base, but what we are not doing is just shotgunning all of our games onto mobile."
06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
More evidence iOS will never be more than a casual gaming platform.

06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
haha, yeah, IOS can't get by without a half-dozen or so Call of Duty retreads.
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
For you maybe, but not necessarily for everyone. I don't like most casual games and yet my iPhone is my preference when it comes to handheld gaming (of all the platforms that are currently available).

The more hardcore games might not be as popular, but they're still being released all the time. Just take a look at the upcoming games from Gameloft, EA, Madfinger, Fishlabs and various other developers.

Hakuna Matata
06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
It already is.

I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omniscience's
I would be both!
06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Seriously, apple needs to divide up the appstore. A premium games section is sorely needed.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
This is nonsense. Let's be serious. If Activision put appropriate resources into making a solid CoD experience for iOS, they wouldn't be number 400,001. We've already seen how a great game + proper marketing through Apple and sites like TA can drive sale tremendously; Infinity Blade's sales immediately come to mind.

As for iOS not being for anything more than casual games, that's just a flippant reply. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm sure it'll boil down to some rambling argument about "hardcore" games; except, ask 10 people what's a hardcore game and you'll get 10 different answers. If you don't feel it's hardcore enough, that's fine. For me, it is...and I've been playing games BEFORE the first video game came out!

So...Activision...get your head in the game...or not. But if you are going to be in the game, do a great job and you'll be rewarded with great sales.

'nuff said!

--DotComCTO
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
It's always about the money. Call of Duty for the iOS, if it existed, should be able to sell at a multi-platform competitive price. Likely between 19.99-34.99, depending on the exact effort that went into the developmental cycle. When the vast majority of those 400,000 apps are either selling for 99c-2.99, or are freemium titles, why would most iOS owners shell out fair market value for Call of Duty? Some probably would, but most wouldn't. That's really what they mean by crowded out. Premium apps are getting crowded out of the marketplace by an overwhelming flood of Crapps.
06-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
I don't see why they wouldn't. Nazi Zombies was in the top 50 for a year.

You won't find me on the leaderboards.
06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
It's always about the money. Call of Duty for the iOS, if it existed, should be able to sell at a multi-platform competitive price. Likely between 19.99-34.99, depending on the exact effort that went into the developmental cycle. When the vast majority of those 400,000 apps are either selling for 99c-2.99, or are freemium titles, why would most iOS owners shell out fair market value for Call of Duty? Some probably would, but most wouldn't. That's really what they mean by crowded out. Premium apps are getting crowded out of the marketplace by an overwhelming flood of Crapps.
That's the root of the issue. As long as games have to be a buck to sell, we will continue to get nothing more than 100 versions of Angry Birds, puzzle games and garbage freemium titles along with bland Gameloft titles and the occasional watered down big franchise game.