★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Game shoppng down the road

04-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Game shoppng down the road

I keep coming back to this, so thought I would throw it out for discussion. With new iPhones being released once per year developers will eventually need to provide graphic options in their games so they can be scaleable between hardware versions. So that an iPhone a couple years behind can shop the app store with ease while devs crank out new games to push the limits of newer iPhone hardware.

If done that way prior hardware devices no longer become obsolete. On top of that as you upgrade to newer devices you'll be bringing all those games with you. And you'll be able to up the settings in those games for improved graphics. Of course there would eventually be limits to such a scenario, an '07 hardware iPhone wouldn't liklely do well in a 2025 app store. But the business model is interesting.

What I'm curious about are the other options. If a system like that isn't used, what would be? App stores for different hardware generations? I don't see a viable solution for that.

Edit: Hmm probably should have posted this in the off-topic section, sorry!

Last edited by Almy; 04-17-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Wrong forum section
04-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Well its already been done by 2XL Supercross, the iphone version is scaled back from the itouch version cause the touch has faster processor and all. It has a few more objects on the course and more AI riders to race against.
04-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Right, but long term I wouldn't expect devs to do that for 6 or more hardware versions, 12 plus if you assume each phone has a different touch counterpart. That's why I mention in game settings for the long term approach.

I mention other options for a reason. There are some less than ideal solutions out there. Hard caps on firmware being one. Want the new hot game? Oh you need this firmware and its not compatible with your hardware, missed it by a month!

Last edited by Almy; 04-17-2009 at 01:07 AM.
04-17-2009, 02:24 AM
I don't think that devs would have to consider several hardware version.
I mean a lithium-polymere accu as it is used in the iDevices only lasts for three to four years (shorter the more often it is recharged) and then its more or less usesless. So one has to either buy a new iDevice or try to replace its battery...

Add me: GameCenter: Crypton72
Agon|CloudCell|GameloftLive!|OpenFeint|Plus+: Crypton
Proud Member of Touch Arcaders Against Piracy!
Follow me on Twitter!