★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I need opinions on our ICON - Droppin' Bombs

06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I need opinions on our ICON - Droppin' Bombs

Hey everyone, my partner and I are having quite a tough time figuring out which icon we shall choose for our game Droppin' Bombs, we're pretty deep in development and so far could always agree on artistic decisions but are now stuck on this one
I won't state which one I or he prefers to not call for any fights

Basically the game is about items droppin from the sky on an environment grid and the user taps the elements to destroy them reaching for highscores with combos and bonus items - pretty straightforward idea, if you ask me.

We have 3 ideas for the icons so far and we would really appreciate if you could help us decide for which icon to go for our app. I included various size options because in the end it matters what looks best on the device and not fullblown.

Also feel free to post and thoughts or suggestions you might have for making the best icon possible
I'd be happy to get to know as many opinions as possible !

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

My humble Portfolio: www.acumen-design.de/blog
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/fabi_smith
06-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I like the 3rd icon, but instead of the gold border, use the same border from the 2nd icon.

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs

06-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Switch the borders on 3 and 2 and probably I'd like both equally. Text in the icon is almost always a big no no. You'll never get a straight answer when you ask questions like this

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm going to be awkward here I'm in the process of designing an icon for my game and quite frankly, people underestimate the challenge and time that goes into this

In terms of absolute preference...

Top in Option 1.
Middle in Option 2.
Bottom in Option 3.

I hope that helps, but I know it won't

The reason behind the decisions, is based on 1x1 being a nice, colourful, explains the game graphic.

The 2x2 one still gives some of that impression, but is still clean.

The 3x3 is the cleanest one out of them due to the size of the graphic
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Number 3 right now.

First is too busy when downsized. 2nd looks more like the bomb is wearing some sort of hula skirt :P
06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Interesting to see simplymuzik3 and injuwarrior immediately on the border switch
Thanks for your input guys !

@P3Z: Quite awkward, that's true. In fact, so awkward that I think I don't really follow you.
Am I assuming right, that you mean, take the top part of 1, middle part of 2 and bottom part of 3 ?

Thank you for all your thoughts so far, I'd be very interested to get even more feedback!
The more "votes" the better understanding we can gather of which way to go for

haha, hula skirt
Brilliant observation @JTown

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
The largest image in 1.
The second largest image in #2
The smallest image in #3.

Combine them
06-13-2011, 04:02 PM
My opinion:
I prefer the option 2.
It's more original than the third and more readable than the first.
06-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I wondered what looked wrong about all of them and then I realised - why don't the bombs have their fuses lit? That's a big omission if you ask me given the style of bomb.

So I think it would look much better if there was a bright sparkly glow emanating from the ends of the fuses - no need for that hula bit (which I agree looks wrong on 2).

The bomb in 2 is more round and not polygonal like 3, and also the fisheye effect of the fence in the background looks better in 2.

So I think go with #2, but without that hula effect and most importantly with a bright sparkly lit fuse end. Also I suggest a gradient blue for the sky (a bit darker towards the top), and with a full-surround silver border.

Apps: Lead Wars (TA Thread) | Super Grav (TA Thread)
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Dev
www.demonstudios.com
Follow: Facebook | Twitter
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
thanks @ Hercule !
@P3Z: I think I still don't understand what elements I shall combine. It sounds like you want me to make a picture within a picture within a picture ?
@DemonJim: You're bringing up a good point there with the fuse. Didn't even think about that possbility. That's some great input right there !
Just a quick mockup of what it would look like with fuse. Your other ideas are very valid crits, too !

15 Coins - @Toucharcade