★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fling vs Fling Mini Hands-On Video

06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
#1
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
Fling vs Fling Mini Hands-On Video

Jared is going to post some additional impressions later tonight.

06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
You need to take care of your notifications, lol.

At least all of your updates are downloaded!

The minis look like they work pretty well, but I honestly can't think of THAT many games that would play better with them..

Twitter: @back2this

06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
#3
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,502
Certainly is a great idea, and it does the job pretty well. I hope you guys demo it with some other games. I think a lot of people might be taken to the idea, but I don't see myself getting one. The bottom suction cup seems right on the edge, which means constantly taking off a case just to use this. But if the price is what the Fling regular was, that seems really reasonable considering the amount of games it could be used in for some one who buys a lot of games.

You know what, I would love to see how it holds up in Street Fighter. If you can pull of combos just as easily, that might be the biggest test for it. If you can, I might have to just get this.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
#4
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 7,681
Great taste in music!

They seem to big to me. You could barely press the button on the screen while the "Minis" were on.
06-14-2011, 01:14 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 377
I can't be the only one who think dual stick shooters control more than well enough as is with just touch, the only real problem with the touch controls is your thumbs get in the way, and from the looks of it the fling only magnifies that problem. No buy. iPad kind of makes sense, but still not worth it. Dual stick shooters control great on iDevices, I don't need anything to help that.

Best: Above, Squareball, forget-me-not, 1-bit ninja, Heroes of Kalevala, Mirror's Edge, Rat on a Skateboard, Final Freeway
06-14-2011, 01:20 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinvy View Post
I can't be the only one who think dual stick shooters control more than well enough as is with just touch, the only real problem with the touch controls is your thumbs get in the way, and from the looks of it the fling only magnifies that problem. No buy. iPad kind of makes sense, but still not worth it. Dual stick shooters control great on iDevices, I don't need anything to help that.
Same. I've never understood the gripe about virtual controls and how buttons are needed. I come from a console-gaming background too where it's always been mouse + keyboard and PS2/PS3 controllers. As long as the game implemented the controls well, I haven't had one instance where I wished that I had physical buttons instead on the iOS. It's not just DSS that this applies to either.

Twitter: @back2this
06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinvy View Post
I can't be the only one who think dual stick shooters control more than well enough as is with just touch, the only real problem with the touch controls is your thumbs get in the way, and from the looks of it the fling only magnifies that problem. No buy. iPad kind of makes sense, but still not worth it. Dual stick shooters control great on iDevices, I don't need anything to help that.
Agreed. The same applies for first/third person shooters. I find it easier to use the touch screen than the physical controls that other handheld consoles offer, like the PSP and 3DS.

Hakuna Matata
06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
#8
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Agreed. The same applies for first/third person shooters. I find it easier to use the touch screen than the physical controls that other handheld consoles offer, like the PSP and 3DS.
By the way, what does your name mean? Lol, never bothered asking before, but I've always been curious.

Twitter: @back2this
06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
By the way, what does your name mean? Lol, never bothered asking before, but I've always been curious.
Laid Back Gamer

Hakuna Matata
06-14-2011, 01:10 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Laid Back Gamer
Nice.

Twitter: @back2this