★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Nintendo Copying App Store Schedule

06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
#1
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 975
Nintendo Copying App Store Schedule

Nintendo Store updates moved to Thursday
House of Mario shifts virtual storefront additions to later in the week; WiiWare, Virtual Console, DSiWare, and 3DS eShop games included.


Gamers eager to get their hands on new downloadable Nintendo wares this morning were left empty-handed, but not because of the security issue that hit Nintendo Europe. The Japanese game giant today announced its plan to shift its downloadable store updates from Monday morning to Thursdays going forward.


A new Nintendo downloadable game will no longer help a "case of the Mondays."
The weekly update will include information about new additions to Nintendo's download hubs: WiiWare, DSiWare, the Virtual Console, and the recently launched eShop, which opened on June 6.

The most recent Nintendo Store Update arrived last Monday and brought puzzle game Ubongo to WiiWare and Go Series Picdun, Dreamwalker, and Cypronia's Crazy Cheebo: Puzzle Party to DSiWare. There were no Wii Virtual Console additions last week.


I found this pretty interesting considering that the app store big releases have always been on Thursday. Was nintendo taking notes ?

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL
06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 267
Well, I'm guessing that there is a reason why iOS devs release games on Thursday. Maybe it's just the optimal day for releases or something?

06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Right here, of course
Posts: 156
I thought app store releases were on Wednesday because that's when the top app charts (top free, top paid, and top grossing) reset.

If you're reading this, I've already won.
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
#4
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,375
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyy View Post
I thought app store releases were on Wednesday because that's when the top app charts (top free, top paid, and top grossing) reset.
Yeah, this. It's Wednesday, not Thursday. So maybe Nintendo picked it so they don't get overshadowed by the appstore?

i'm a pretty kitty cat
06-14-2011, 03:48 AM
#5
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyy View Post
I thought app store releases were on Wednesday because that's when the top app charts (top free, top paid, and top grossing) reset.
Its not wednesday. Its thursday. 11:00 pm EST on wednesday night is not really wednesday anymore. Give it an hour and its thursday already.

Also,top charts refresh in real time instead of once a week. The featured games (staff favorites, New & Noteworthy, iPhone/iPad Game/App of the week etc) are weekly affairs though. I'm not exactly sure when these get refreshed but its definitely either thursday or later instead of wednesday.
06-14-2011, 07:38 AM
#6
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,375
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Its not wednesday. Its thursday. 11:00 pm EST on wednesday night is not really wednesday anymore. Give it an hour and its thursday already.
I disagree with you-- I mean, at the very least it's more like half thursday and half wednesday for the western world. You get a lot of hype that builds up from New Zealand and on, and then it hits at 11pm for people in Eastern Time.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
06-14-2011, 07:53 AM
#7
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
I disagree with you-- I mean, at the very least it's more like half thursday and half wednesday for the western world. You get a lot of hype that builds up from New Zealand and on, and then it hits at 11pm for people in Eastern Time.
lol. So if a dev announces on Tuesday that a high profile game (lets say something as big as CoD:MW for iphone) will be out on Thursday, will it mean the app released on Tuesday even if it's not out until thursday?
06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
#8
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,375
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
lol. So if a dev announces on Tuesday that a high profile game (lets say something as big as CoD:MW for iphone) will be out on Thursday, will it mean the app released on Tuesday even if it's not out until thursday?
Eh, something like that. What i mean is, when an app comes out in NZ and then moves across by time zones, you have people on forums like TouchArcade who scramble for reviews and impressions from the first buyers, as well as posts on the frontpage and on other blogs, and then that builds hype.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
I don't think devs are concerned about the time zone, the same thing would happen regardless of which day the game is released.

Xbox Live and PSN both avoid releasing content at the beginning of the week too, perhaps consumers just spend more closer to the upcoming weekend.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-15-2011, 07:48 PM
#10
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I don't think devs are concerned about the time zone, the same thing would happen regardless of which day the game is released.

Xbox Live and PSN both avoid releasing content at the beginning of the week too, perhaps consumers just spend more closer to the upcoming weekend.
I guess it makes sense more time to play games. I'm unfamiliar with psn and xbla but do they have a featured section how apple does that would motivate the devs to release on a certain day for highest chance to be featured?

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL