★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ** iPhone/iPod Gen1 not supported

Reviews:
"Besides the clever writing, Quest Runner's other major strength is its great 2D artwork."
-ign.com

"If you want to laugh while you play an RPG instead of furrowing your brow and trying to shoulder the weight of the world, this ones for you."
-toucharcade.com

"I can't deny that its peculiar siren song of virtual progress has hooked me for hours."
-joystiq.com

"For potentially hours of enjoyment the price tag is just right and provides great value."
-appasnap.com score:9/10

"If you're a fan of classic styled side-scrolling RPGs, Quest Runner is worth picking up."
-AppAdvice.com

"It is definitely worth the asking price if you enjoy quirky sidescrolling rpgs."
-theappshack54.blogspot.com

"This title is just perfect for the iPad, and is a feast for the eyes."
-ipaditalia.com

Description:
Take a journey to the Mobile Town of Torma. Join the Quest Runners Guild and help defend the town from monsters and assist villagers with unique tasks.

Lend a hand to the farmers in Pokke Fields with defeating the Bee King and his minions. Defend the Pokke mines from an onslaught of giant spiders. Join Pirates in their battle against a Giant Sock Puppet Squid and so much more.

Unlock new skills, quests, weapons and armour as you journey further into the World of Torma and meet all its eccentric characters. Customize your Hero with the loot you find, and unlock secret gear to really make each play through unique.

Can you make it through your first days as Junior Quest Runner and learn what it takes to be the real Hero of Torma?

Features:
Action Adventure RPG for the iOS
Universal App with Retina Display support
GameCenter Achievements
Train Pets and Hire Mercenaries to help you with your Quests
Huge 2.5D world to explore
Easy to use touch based controls
Comical and Entertaining Characters and Story
Auto Inventory Management
Pick and Play Quests made for mobile play
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Looked promising from the Upcoming thread. Waiting on impressions since I generally dont like sidescrollers.

edit: anyone have a gameplay video?

i'm a pretty kitty cat

Last edited by SkyMuffin; 06-13-2011 at 10:27 PM.

06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I bit. Downloading now. Will post impressions after getting an hour or so of play in...

Already can tell it has gamecenter and universal device support.
06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
It is out in some areas!!! Hopefully worldwide tomorrow!!!

We are in the process of fast-tracking an update to get the game under the 20 MB/3G limit.

Have fun and let us know what you think!

Last edited by Trident3D; 06-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.
06-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Be curious to see a video. Little idea of what the gameplay entails from info thus far.
06-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
Looked promising from the Upcoming thread. Waiting on impressions since I generally dont like sidescrollers.

edit: anyone have a gameplay video?
From the upcoming thread:

Youtube link | Pop Up

So far I'm really enjoying it. I'll post further tomorrow.
06-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
From the upcoming thread:

YouTube: video

So far I'm really enjoying it. I'll post further tomorrow.
Looks great! I'll give it a try and post impressions tomorrow.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
06-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Alright, here are my impressions and thoughts after playing for half an hour and reaching lvl 13. I tried typing up something longer but I'll just make this very brief by listing its good and bad points and my final thoughts. PLEASE keep in mind this is NOT representative of more than half an hour of playthrough - I just got my first attack skill and have no idea if this game gets any deeper later on (I'm still in newbie areas).

Positives:
+Don't know how many hours of gameplay there are but I'm figuring there's at least a few hours - maybe more (don't know yet).
+The graphics are good. The "idle" animations for your character (and a few others) seem a little too bouncy, but the animation quality is great. I like the variety of NPCs and mercs (and monsters). The parallax animation in the background when you move around is great as well. Very nice looking game.
+The quests can be funny. One of the first quest chains you encounter in the game ends up having you talking with a rooster. I was chuckling throughout the entire quest and conversation line leading up to that pint but haven't gotten past it further. It is a humerous game.
+Part of the fun of the game is identifying monsters from other video games and RPGs. Already so far I've identified monsters that are a homage to Dragon Quest (the slimes), and Pikmin (I think?). The monsters certainly are silly and funny to fight.

Negatives:
-The gameplay is (so far) very simplistic. There are just a few stats - health, attack strength, defense strength, etc. So far I'm not seeing any "status" effects when attacked by monsters. Don't really have an inventory to manage, and weapon/armor upgrades are honestly no more interesting a decision than if something does more damage (or for armor can protect you better).
-The controls could use some work. Although I encountered very few problems with the controls it was a pain sometimes to use my attack skill button when it was overlayed by a quest or item message. It could also be difficult to select NPCs sometimes when they are in a crowd.
-The ramping up from the first couple of areas into the third area is a bit drastic. At level 13 I would hardly take any damage at all in the first two areas to the right of the town, but go into the third area and I died quickly both times very quickly (and I don't tend to die too easily in RPGs). Some kind of better status effects (such as the screen lightly flashing red or something) would have brought it to my attention that my character lost literally half of his health in a single hit from an enemy. The health bar above his head I started to ignore by the third area just because it would rarely dip down that much in the first two areas. Looked up after the first fight in the third area and I had a tiny sliver of health left. An animation or something showing me that I'm taking HUGE damage might have helped.

Overview:
*The game doesn't take itself too seriously. This could be a "good" or "bad" thing depending on what kind of player you are but much of the fun of the game derives from the fact that it "knows" what it is and doesn't try to pretend to be a serious RPG. If you think this is supposed to be serious then you're missing the point.
*I don't see myself playing this for long stretches - especially if it ends up being too much of a grind. That first boss is particularly tough (unless I'm missing something?) and I'm already fearful that I'm going to have to do a bit of leveling up to face him.

Overall I'm going to keep playing - but only in spurts. My main reason for playing is that the animation and character graphics are nice and the dialogue can be funny and I want to see what the rest of the areas hold. But if there ends up being too much grinding then I may not want to play as often.

EDIT: After reading over what I wrote I probably am coming down hard on the game. It is what it is and in all honesty I have enjoyed this much more than any KRPG I've played on iOS (including Zenonia and several others I've tried). Perhaps this style of RPG just isn't my cup of tea, but unlike the KRPGs this game has humor and is enjoyable - even if its not particuarly deep. I do think it was worth the $1.99 I spent if even for the humor. KRPG fans may enjoy this and may make better reviewers than me.

Congrats to the devs on getting this out the door, by the way.

Last edited by Andiron; 06-13-2011 at 11:44 PM.
06-14-2011, 12:37 AM
How do you get pets?
06-14-2011, 12:43 AM
It is a bit grindy - there's not much strategy to it, but I played for about an hour tonight and had a blast.