• Publisher: Jonathan Mulcahy
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 80.0 MB
  • Version: 1.5
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: You have been stranded 100 light years from Earth, can you survive the long way home?

After a catestrophic ship explosion, you must make your way home 1 light year at a time. Encounter exploding asteroids, teleporting dark matter, comets and more on your epic journey home.

A Long Way Home is a action / physics / puzzle game set in space. Making you way through 100 levels across 10 stages you must jump from asteroid to asteroid collecting enough dark matter to open a portal to the next level.

FEATURING:
- GAMECENTER Leaderboards for each stage
- 100 Levels
- Physics Style Gameplay
- 3 Control Types (Accelerometer, Hot Zones and Onscreen Buttons)
- Stunning Graphics
- Fantastic Ambient Music

REVIEWS:

CNET Australia's App of the Day on March 22, 2012

"A Long Way Home has all the hallmarks for an indie sleeper hit on the iPad." - Pocket Gamer

"Not many mobile or tablet games actually evoke an emotional response, but this game does." - The Smart Phone App Review"

"If you're up for patient, thoughtful gameplay that makes for an evocative experience, you should give A Long Way Home a shot." - Touch Arcade

4 Stars - Touch Arcade

"Only a handful of games for the iPad can produce an emotional response, as A Long Way Home did for me. I hope it can do the same for you." - Appolicious

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Interesting. Would like to see more of the gameplay. The video above leaves me with one important unanswered question: where's the challenge?

06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
There are:
- blue sticky asteroids (only 5 jumps and your stuck)
- red exploding asteroids (5 seconds and BOOM)
- brown 'dusty' asteroids (after you jump off they disintegrate)
- mini asteroid belts blocking your way
- orbiting dark matter
- teleporting dark matter
- commets
- black holes

Here's a quick video showing some of the hazards:

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Excellent Hitchikers guide reference in the video at the top

I like the look of this, gives a nice isolated vibe.

Seems big, vastly mind-bogglingly big

Will give it a go at midnight.

Game Centre I.D - Scarypharaoh
06-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Glad you caught that reference There's a few more scattered throughout the game.

Also, In celebration of the release of A Long Way Home on both the iPad and Mac, I've made 5 of my older games free! All of these games have recently been updated with GameCenter, so get in there and start beating people's scores! They are set to go free on June 16th, so it may still be updating in your area.

The free games are:

Z is for Zombie

F is for Falling

Zombie Heads

Zombie Heads HD

Obliteration HD
06-15-2011, 10:15 PM
When will an iPhone version become availible?
06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo7600 View Post
When will an iPhone version become availible?
That's a good question. I've been spending this week trying to figure out the best way to do that. I'm hoping to start work on the iPhone version next month.
06-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Can't you just make A Long Way Home universal?
06-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo7600 View Post
Can't you just make A Long Way Home universal?
it's not that easy. it was originally designed for both an iPad and Mac release. I'm looking at options, and will probably do something with a zooming camera, but i need a break too This is a one man show and I've been working on the game since august.