Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM
iPad

Default Cell Bound™ - (by Hothead Games) - Universal App

Retina Screenshots
(click to enlarge)

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 06-16-2011 at 02:06 AM..
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default The Blackhole

This is a clone of "The Blackhole," with some minor differences. It's a match-5 instead of a match-3, and the orbs are less sticky when they land (they slide across each other towards the middle). The game also seems to lack the particle-collision physics that "The Blackhole" has, which means there's no loose, orbiting, colliding, or dynamic orbs; they all just go straight into the middle. It has more game modes than "The Blackhole," but the basic gameplay is almost an exact clone.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-blackhole/id363397203?mt=8
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherJude View Post
This is a clone of "The Blackhole," with some minor differences. It's a match-5 instead of a match-3, and the orbs are less sticky when they land (they slide across each other towards the middle). The game also seems to lack the particle-collision physics that "The Blackhole" has, which means there's no loose, orbiting, colliding, or dynamic orbs; they all just go straight into the middle. It has more game modes than "The Blackhole," but the basic gameplay is almost an exact clone.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-blackhole/id363397203?mt=8
Nope, it's a clone of an already done gameplay mechanic. There are games that have been around for quite some time that used the same kind of gameplay, so your game isn't exactly original either, so this game is not a clone of yours. Plus, this one looks better. Sorry to say but yours looks kinda ugly. I think you were just using this opportunity to try to promote your own game, which is quite shady if you ask me. Can you please do some research before you accuse a developer of cloning your game?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowiz View Post
I think you were just using this opportunity to try to promote your own game, which is quite shady if you ask me. Can you please do some research before you accuse a developer of cloning your game?
Have you played both games, and compared gameplay? Or are you simply saying that all matching games are the same, and basing your opinion on screenshots?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherJude View Post
Have you played both games, and compared gameplay? Or are you simply saying that all matching games are the same, and basing your opinion on screenshots?
Uh, I found a video of Cell Bound on youtube and I've played at least a few games previously by much bigger developers than you that have almost exactly the same type of gameplay. They were usually minigames included with other games, but they were games nonetheless. You aren't going to convince anyone that your game is original. I'm thinking of a game right now that I played probably close to 10 years ago that has almost the exact same gameplay.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

I've played both and while they use similar mechanics, they're both cool and original in their own rights (and if you want to get technical there were a couple of AppStore games using this same "spin the platform, not the pieces coming from all sides" before Blackhole).

Some of the original twists to this game are based on the mode you choose:

Burst: Connect chains of 5 or more same colored cells to create scorable clusters...but you don't score anything until you hit the center button. So do you setup for some mega cluster (for HUGE points) or just score chains as quick as possible? Also unique here is how isolated cells not touching others of their own color die off and become useless blocker cells.

Infinite: In this mode there is no fear of isolated cells dying and cells simply clear themselves if in same colored groups of 5 or more. I also encountered a number of cool power-ups in this mode (they might be in all modes, not sure) that trigger special modes (like all points being doubled for the next few seconds) if you clear the group containg the special power-up. Also unique in this mode are Smart Bombs which, when triggered by pressing the center button, will clear out all cells.

Timer: I haven't played this mode yet but it sounds a bit like Infinite with the twist of limited time and only by constant scoring can you put time back on the clock.

5/5!

(I also really liked Blackhole which I think I also rated 4 or 5)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 3.x

awesome game!

the review of appspy helped decide to get it

http://youtu.be/jE9CfZVr6pw
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

I also want to put out a big thanks for NOT going the consumable IAP route with this one! I'd be more than happy to pay cash via an IAP for to unlock a new mode or batch of power-ups, but WILL NOT participate in anything where I need to buy limited uses of something.