★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Matthew McComb
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 2.3 MB
  • Version: 1.01
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: An exciting and puzzling twist on an arcade classic.

You're trapped in the midst of an asteroid belt and the only way out is to clear space of those multicolored asteroids. Dodge and destroy your way to safety by matching your bullet color to the asteroids. But be careful. Space is full of alien ships out to hunt you down and create even more asteroids!

Coloroids's comments:
Hey Guys,

I'm the developer of Coloroids a retro style arcade shooter based on the classic Asteroids gameplay (sound familiar!?). But what differentiates Coloroids from other Asteroids clones is that adds a puzzle element to the gameplay. In Coloroids asteroids are assigned a color and the player must match their own bullet color to that of the asteroid. Hitting an asteroid with the wrong color bullet spawns more asteroids. It's a simple concept that provides some insanely addictive gameplay! And of course there's all the old gameplay traits, enemy ships, splitting asteroids and 8 bit sound effects too!

If it sounds like your thing then you can grab it for free at...
iTunes Store Link

Or you can find more info at the official homepage...
Coloroids Website

As I say, I'm the sole developer for the project and would love to hear any feedback or suggested improvements - or even better, what you enjoyed about the game!

Have Fun!
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Just played the first couple levels... it's faithful to the original Asteroids look... and the controls aren't too bad... You can change the sticks so the movement is the left and fire is the right (originally it's movement on the right and fire on the left...)

But is there a way to change the color of your shots? Or do you just have to shoot the different colored asteroids, and deal with the extra asteroids that spawn out of em? I wouldn't say there's a puzzleish element to the game... just a little sort of additional game mechanic than what the original Asteroids has... =o/

not too bad... worth checking out if you're a fan of the original Asteroids (like me...) =oD
06-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
But is there a way to change the color of your shots?
Yes!

If you tap anywhere on the left hand side of the screen outside of the fire button your bullet colour will change.

It's interesting that you mentioned that because I've heard it a few time since release. I deliberately added a video tutorial to try and get the message across, but I think it's just not intuitive enough!

That's great feedback though and I'll look to rectify it in an update!
06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
lol... thank you for that... maybe if I actually looked at the "how to play" section, I wouldn't have had to ask... =o/

sorry bout that... but thank you for the quick response!
06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
lol... thank you for that... maybe if I actually looked at the "how to play" section, I wouldn't have had to ask... =o/

sorry bout that... but thank you for the quick response!
No need to apologise, it's great feedback.
06-16-2011, 01:47 AM
@dev:

I don't feel like being too harsh since this is free and you sound genuinely amicable, but to be completely honest: something as simple as this needs to run at 60 FPS or it's a complete non-starter. This looks like it barely runs at 30, and I would wager it's even below that.