★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Retro - Cave Flyer [Sale] ($2.99 -> $0.99)

04-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Retro - Cave Flyer [Sale] ($2.99 -> $0.99)

Retro - Cave Flyer has dropped from $2.99 to $0.99.

[AppShopper] [AppStore]

Quote:
SALE:
To mark the start of the World Snooker Championship at the Crucible in Sheffield...
For a limited period International Snooker will be a bargain 59p / 99c / 0.79 Eu.
As a double whammy Retro Cave Flyer is now also on sale at 59p / 99c / 0.79 Eu.

"...Lunar Lander on steroids..." - TouchArcade.com

"...brings an almost unsatisfiable addiction which can only be satiated with more game play." - CasualGamerChick.com

RETRO is a glorious homage and throwback to latter-day game design and gameplay, utilizing the iPhone and iPod Touch's accelerometer and touchscreen in this Lunar Lander style adventure through rocky maze-like landscapes.

Gameplay is simple: Guide your landing craft through 23 challenging levels, solving puzzles, avoiding hazards and saving all the little people as you go.

Game Features:

- Beautifully rendered artwork and animation.
- Superb mood-setting soundtrack from Space Maneouvres
- Simultaeneous Music + Sound Effects options.
- Fluid physics
- Intuitive gameplay
- Carefully tweaked accelerometer controls
- Gradual difficulty curve, tested by monkeys*

Controls:

- Tilt iPhone/iPod Touch to navigate
- Tap the screen to accelerate (thrust)

---------------------------------------------

REVIEWS:

"Retro is the best cave-flyer available in the App Store at present. It’s accelerometer-controlled Lunar Lander on steroids. Also a polished good time." - TouchArcade.com

"Overall, this game has all the qualities of a great cave-flyer style game. It brings a new polish to the graphics while staying true to many qualities of the classic games of our past. The balance of fuel, shields and time make it a challenge to complete but feasible with practice as with any great game. For the price tag of .99 cents this is a hard bargain to pass up if you like this style game." - CasualGamerChick.com

RETRO can be played in bed, hanging from the ceiling and in many other real-life situations that most other accelerometer games fail to support. Only the hardened player should attempt to play while water-skiing.

====================================

Good Luck Pilot!

*We may have lied about the monkeys.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
04-17-2009, 02:09 PM
The game isn't great but for 99 cents it might be worth it.

04-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordplay View Post
The game isn't great but for 99 cents it might be worth it.
Surprising.

Judging by the reviews, people seem to love this one.

Only bad reviews seem to be from those asking how to refuel or mentioning that home button exits don't auto-save.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I actually love this game. It takes some practice, but the tilt controls work really well. Don't get me wrong, the game is tough so if you're easily frustrated, this isn't for you.
04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Surprising.

Judging by the reviews, people seem to love this one.

Only bad reviews seem to be from those asking how to refuel or mentioning that home button exits don't auto-save.
I really like this game. It's the nicest cave flyer on the app store. I must say though if you are not familiar and or do not like the cave flyer genre, even at $0.99, this is probably not for you.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
After reading some reviews and hearing Albie's input, I've decided to grab this one myself.

Only been awake for about 30 minutes and I've already purchased International Snooker, Build-a-lot, and now Retro - Cave Flyer. I don't have an addiction.. these prices are just unbelievably low.

04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
After reading some reviews and hearing Albie's input, I've decided to grab this one myself.

Only been awake for about 30 minutes and I've already purchased International Snooker, Build-a-lot, and now Retro - Cave Flyer. I don't have an addiction.. these prices are just unbelievably low.
Cool, I hope you like it. For the audience this is directed at, it's an excellent title.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
04-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by le'deuche123 View Post
Cool, I hope you like it. For the audience this is directed at, it's an excellent title.
Thanks.

It reminds me a little bit of an older Genesis game I used to play called Sub-Terrania. (YouTube)

04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Just remember your thrusters are your friend.
04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Will have to try this one out later, I'm now playing Sub-Terrania for the time being.

Haven't thought of this game for years. ^ ^