Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I did take the plunge on this one as soon as I saw the screens on the previous page, and I can't really say that the game is something that I'd completely recommend. There obviously wasn't any testing in terms of checking the dialogue, because, as Gabrien stated above, the developer has mistakenly used "your" instead of "you're" along with a whole bunch of othr grammatical issues.

The game does play a lot like Pokemon. In fact, it may be something that Nintendo may pursuit. Some of the monster sprites and names, along with skeleton of the storyline seem to derive too much from Pokemon names.

I absolutely hate the d-pad in that it's clunky, and taking up half of the screen without a good reason. The character doesn't roam freely, but instead, like Pokemon, follows a 1x1 grid in four directions. Movement is extremely slow and boring, because changing directions is a hassle.

The actual game, though, isn't all that bad. It's definitely a start on something that hasn't been seen at all yet.. If you're so desperate to get a game like such on an Apple device, go ahead, but with the amount of issues it's not really worth 3 bucks. Honestly, I would seriously go back to my GameBoy and play Pokemon than play this game.

Keep the games like this coming, devs! I'm sure we'll have a game-changer soon.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM

After reading Gabrien's impressions, I'm pretty back and forth on this one. Normally, I wouldn't require too much from an iOS Pokemon clone (as long as the trading/collecting part is fun), but it sounds like this one might cross the line. I mean, WTF at using up/down/left/right for the D-pad. Unless their goal is to go for some ultra retro look, what's wrong with normal arrows?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
After reading Gabrien's impressions, I'm pretty back and forth on this one. Normally, I wouldn't require too much from an iOS Pokemon clone (as long as the trading/collecting part is fun), but it sounds like this one might cross the line. I mean, WTF at using up/down/left/right for the D-pad. Unless their goal is to go for some ultra retro look, what's wrong with normal arrows?
The battle is the best part in my opinon. I have contacted the developer about the control but I feel he will change them soon since he succesfully updates his other game. The trading part is coming in another update.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Browsing your reviews/first impressions of GeoSociety its good to hear some decent feedback. I'm the Indie Developer behind GeoSociety.

I can certainly take a look at the controls for the next update, no problems there. I will take a look at some of the other games which are out at the moment for inspiration. I initially laid it out like that because it brought me back to the days of playing GameBoy - I'm quite a nostalgic developer.

The game doesn't quite have all the features I would like it to have yet, such as the online play (trading monsters and battling with friends), The Monster Shrine (breeding) or leader boards which will be in the update I am presently working on.

But it certainly has a lot of storyline gameplay, missions to explore and monsters to tame. There are 7 classes/difficulties of missions to go through and in general the next class is unlocked after a bit of storyline is complete and you pass that same difficulty of Monster Tournament.

In terms of originality we actually base GeoSociety of a game our company runs called www.MonsterRanch.com. Which is a free to play web browser monster battle game which has been running for over 2 years.

Please keep the feedback coming, as an Indie Developer I realise the importance of listening to feedback.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikyro View Post
Browsing your reviews/first impressions of GeoSociety its good to hear some decent feedback. I'm the Indie Developer behind GeoSociety.

I can certainly take a look at the controls for the next update, no problems there. I will take a look at some of the other games which are out at the moment for inspiration. I initially laid it out like that because it brought me back to the days of playing GameBoy - I'm quite a nostalgic developer.

The game doesn't quite have all the features I would like it to have yet, such as the online play (trading monsters and battling with friends), The Monster Shrine (breeding) or leader boards which will be in the update I am presently working on.

But it certainly has a lot of storyline gameplay, missions to explore and monsters to tame. There are 7 classes/difficulties of missions to go through and in general the next class is unlocked after a bit of storyline is complete and you pass that same difficulty of Monster Tournament.

In terms of originality we actually base GeoSociety of a game our company runs called www.MonsterRanch.com. Which is a free to play web browser monster battle game which has been running for over 2 years.

Please keep the feedback coming, as an Indie Developer I realise the importance of listening to feedback.
First off, congratulations on getting the game released -- seems like you win the getting-a-Pokemon-like-into-the-App-Store race . I would echo most of the suggestions that have already been made. My main issue, though, is the lack of visual or sound feedback when you attack or use an item. It would really add to the gameplay if you could incorporate some special effects into the battles. Some of the transition effects that you have are very nice; battles seem pretty dry in comparison.

I should note that I'm really enjoying the music. Seems like with a fee tweaks this could be a very nice game.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
First off, congratulations on getting the game released -- seems like you win the getting-a-Pokemon-like-into-the-App-Store race . I would echo most of the suggestions that have already been made. My main issue, though, is the lack of visual or sound feedback when you attack or use an item. It would really add to the gameplay if you could incorporate some special effects into the battles. Some of the transition effects that you have are very nice; battles seem pretty dry in comparison.

I should note that I'm really enjoying the music. Seems like with a fee tweaks this could be a very nice game.
Also a increase of the speed your character moves would also be welcome. And make it so it takes up the whole screen and the game plays horizontally with transparent thumb pads.

Last edited by Arashi541; 06-17-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default $2.99 > $1.99

They just dropped the price to $1.99
Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENIGMA View Post
They just dropped the price to $1.99
But noooooo I bought it for 2.99 Ah whatever its a good game anyways!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

2nd gen support?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball926
2nd gen support?
I'm pretty sure there is 2nd gen support.