★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Inogames
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 12.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Firetop Adventure takes place in a world cursed by a deadly plague caused by the minions of Old Karn, an ancient and supernatural evil. Your job is to find the three pieces of the lost Rubin Amulet, which, when reunited, can be used to gain entrance to Old Karn's tomb, where you can then do away with him.

Two Modes of Play:
----------
The game features two modes of play, Story Mode and Score Mode. Story Mode tells the story of Firetop Adventure and allows you to unlock levels for the more frantic Score Mode side of the game.

Score mode works very differently from Story Mode. Namely, you start off with only a small amount of time on the clock and you receive extra precious seconds for each lot of gold picked up. As you progress through the levels you receive additional time penalties making for an often-frantic game! Additional special pickup objects help you to boost your score and complete levels quickly!

Features
----------
-> Classic retro platform fun suitable for all ages and levels of gamer.
-> 30 Story Levels over 3 chapters
-> 150 Score Mode levels
-> Auto-saves progress
-> Intuitive & responsive controls.
-> Complete all game modes and chapters to become King of Kildarn!
----------

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Promo codes: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inogam...4944056?ref=ts
06-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Looks cool except for the fact that it's in portrait mode. That alone is enough to stop me in my tracks.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
I made a thread asking for something like this. Bought. I'll be back with impressions later.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Looks cool except for the fact that it's in portrait mode. That alone is enough to stop me in my tracks.
agreed... platformer in portrait mode... BLAH!!!
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Alright guys, I bought it and I think it was easily worth it. I know the portrait mode is not really popular, but hell, gameboys used to be played like that, just a bit wider. All in all, the game works well. I controls very nicely, although the jump button has been unresponsive on a very rare occasion. The level design is pretty good, with it being all one screen levels.I wish a dev showed up, because I had a few suggestions for him/her. First off, the hit boxes of the some of the platforms seems a bit to small, which can result in a few deaths. Also, the jumping seems a bit inconsistent in height. But the win for this game comes in its solid level design, quick pick up action, two modes (I have only played the main story mode so far), and its uncommon idea of making your own platforms by pressing a button and the kid blows a cloud platform that moves up and can take you to higher places your jumps cannot reach. Overall, well worth the 99c. You get 3 lives, and you continue through the levels until you lose all them, but the game autosaves after every level, so if you die, you get a fresh three lives from the level you died on.

Edit: Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend if you have not played many platformer or are not a fan, but if you are, then this is a pretty good buy. Like the blocks commeth, not quite as tight controls, and no double jumps with levels obviously.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo

Last edited by injuwarrior; 06-17-2011 at 08:42 AM.
06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys

Hi All, I'm the developer of this game and appreciate your feedback so far, very much appreciated both good and bad!

For people that dont like the portrait view, that's quite interesting to read and and I see your point, its made me give some thought to making the next game in the series play in a landscape view with the levels filling the whole screen.

@injuwarrior, thanks for the other bits of feedback, I'll have a look at improving those elements for a future update.

Thanks

inogames - Follow my progress on Facebook
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodo View Post
Hi All, I'm the developer of this game and appreciate your feedback so far, very much appreciated both good and bad!

For people that dont like the portrait view, that's quite interesting to read and and I see your point, its made me give some thought to making the next game in the series play in a landscape view with the levels filling the whole screen.

@injuwarrior, thanks for the other bits of feedback, I'll have a look at improving those elements for a future update.

Thanks
Oh the developer, glad to see you are on here. First off, congrats on the release, this is a quality game. I have a bit more feedback. As I mentioned, the hit boxes of some the platforms are too small, and I fell right through some of them like they were invisible (level one of the lava world, the single platform to the right where the rock rolls on to). Also, would it be possible to allow you to select each level in story mode, and progress level by level, and not as a single run through with checkpoints. This next request is all about how feel it will affect core gameplay, but could the jumps be a bit less floaty. This game needs a restart level button after dying, rather than going through all the menus. The enemies and bullets hit boxes actually seem to large, which does not allow a player to pull off clench runs where you miss an enemy by a hair. Oh and finally, a tutorial would help a lot, and maybe a help menu also, because there are a lot of new elements that you have to figure out via trial and error (another reason the three lives single run through can feel off). Also, multitasking would be a plus, as well as gamecenter (I don't care for it, but it seems to be a must with a lot people). Hope you take all the feedback. I really am enjoying this, and I will leave a good review in the store.

06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
Oh the developer, glad to see you are on here. First off, congrats on the release, this is a quality game. I have a bit more feedback. As I mentioned, the hit boxes of some the platforms are too small, and I fell right through some of them like they were invisible (level one of the lava world, the single platform to the right where the rock rolls on to). Also, would it be possible to allow you to select each level in story mode, and progress level by level, and not as a single run through with checkpoints. This next request is all about how feel it will affect core gameplay, but could the jumps be a bit less floaty. This game needs a restart level button after dying, rather than going through all the menus. The enemies and bullets hit boxes actually seem to large, which does not allow a player to pull off clench runs where you miss an enemy by a hair. Oh and finally, a tutorial would help a lot, and maybe a help menu also, because there are a lot of new elements that you have to figure out via trial and error (another reason the three lives single run through can feel off). Also, multitasking would be a plus, as well as gamecenter (I don't care for it, but it seems to be a must with a lot people). Hope you take all the feedback. I really am enjoying this, and I will leave a good review in the store.
Wow, theres some excellent suggestions there, I'd already thought about a restart level option, even I find going back through the menus annoying

For the next couple of updates I will add/modify:
  1. Retart Level option on Game Over screen - instead of having to go through the menus
  2. Adjustment (reduction in size) of Hit Boxes on enemies and projectiles
  3. Look at player momentum when jumping this is a bit exaggerated in order to make jumping over gaps and enemies easier, but it might be a bit extreme
  4. Add the help screens to the main game rather than them only being in the main menus.
  5. Add a tutorial that can be played independently of the main game.
I'll also look at a possible alternative/additional mode of play where you can select levels rather than play in a single run this might be something for the follow up game.

It's really nice to hear that someone is enjoying it! Have you tried score mode yet?

Many thanks for the feedback

06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodo View Post
Wow, theres some excellent suggestions there, I'd already thought about a restart level option, even I find going back through the menus annoying

For the next couple of updates I will add/modify:
  1. Retart Level option on Game Over screen - instead of having to go through the menus
  2. Adjustment (reduction in size) of Hit Boxes on enemies and projectiles
  3. Look at player momentum when jumping this is a bit exaggerated in order to make jumping over gaps and enemies easier, but it might be a bit extreme
  4. Add the help screens to the main game rather than them only being in the main menus.
  5. Add a tutorial that can be played independently of the main game.
I'll also look at a possible alternative/additional mode of play where you can select levels rather than play in a single run this might be something for the follow up game.

It's really nice to hear that someone is enjoying it! Have you tried score mode yet?

Many thanks for the feedback
Okay, I'll hit you up with more feedback. Another major thing, I think you need to hit the screen in order to enter the door to the next level, because a lot of times I want to get all the jewels, and I walk past the door, but that of course ends the level. I think you should hit the door to end the level (think Rolando). About the player momentum, I would think you should be able to make it faster overall without affecting the core gameplay too much (think closer to League of evil, but obviously no double or wall jumps.

Regarding score mode, it is a welcome addition, but at the moment the things that differentiate the two modes are too few in between. I honestly this this only supports the suggestion that you change the story mode to singular level based. The reason behind this is because the two modes actually are very similar now. I mean, they both are theoretically a run through of all the levels (one with checkpoints, one without). So what it comes down to, is that previous levels affect future levels in both, with lives, yet time has no effect, right? I think the story mode should have level independence, with each level having only one life, but can be played independently of all others with a score given to each level based on time. Score mode can than remain the same with its random level and run through of all levels in a world, or another suggestion could be that you make it completely time based (with you getting a certain amount of time at the beginning of each level, and left over time carries over, and each level slowly starts to give you less time. Dying has no effect besides wasting your time. The game cycles through all ten levels, and repeats them if you are good enough at random, and will continue until you eventually run out of time). This game is pretty awesome though, and you have a pretty great thing going with core mechanics, graphics, and level design. If the little things come together, this game would be all but perfect.

06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks injuwarrior, lots for me to think about there

About finishing the level when you havent got all the jewels, there is always a way to collect them all, so long as you give a bit of thought to how you collect the gold, this was intentional as it adds a bit more puzzle to cleaning up a level complely. That said I also see that it might be nice to let the player choose when to exit throug the door so touching it doesnt automatically finish the level; I mean if you take too long to collect the gold and jewels your time will still run out and you'll be avoiding the ghost, so it'll still be risky. I think this is another thing for me to add to the list, thanks

There are a few 'power-up' objects in score mode that dont exist in story mode, such as 'flood' and 'wings of speed', and you gain extra lives in a different way as well time being handled differently, so as you know there are quite substantial differences compared to story mode, but I do see that you might like the two modes to be even more different especially in the way they flow. I like your suggestion where time is carried over in score mode, at the moment time does get reduced on each level as you progress, but only up to a maximum of -15 seconds, which means that the difficulty levels out after the first 15 levels. I also really like the idea of not bothering with lives in score mode and basing it all around time, very nice! Your suggestions could help spice score mode up alot, thanks again