★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: (UK) Scrabble... what have they done!

04-18-2009, 07:34 AM
(UK) Scrabble... what have they done!

Hi

Was looking around the UK app store when I came across Scrabble by EA.
Whilst this game has been out in America for some time, it has been much anticipated in the UK for ages. When I had my 1st gen touch which was jailbroken, i was able to get the US version but I now have a 2nd gen touch so havent bothered hacking.

I Was looking forward to this app but they have done something weird with it, it has a completely different look which i think looks no where near as cool. Also dont think it has facebook connect feature like US version?
Anyone got this? Anyone got both US and UK? Also it is 5.99 in UK and $4.99 in US.

Itunes Uk Scrabble Link:

US Scrabble, see the difference for yourself.

UK Version

Cheers
Thanks for pic palfince

Last edited by williaaaam; 04-18-2009 at 07:41 AM.
04-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Making us pay 5.99 for it is evil!

Although I don't think it looks that bad.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!

Last edited by Palfince; 04-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.

04-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Looks cluttered for over here but I cannot judge properly because of the ridiculous price. There is no justification for that other than rip-off.
04-18-2009, 08:05 AM
prefer the look

it looks like the original uk scabble board

but the price.........

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Ugh... I really prefer the US version to that board. Looks a bit too monotone.

No DPad - iPhone and iPod Touch gaming. Who says gamers need a dpad?
04-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
prefer the look

it looks like the original uk scabble board

but the price.........
Yeah, the US version looks like a tacky fake version of scrabble, the UK version is a lot nicer, maybe the contrast could be upped a bit though.
04-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I think I lean towards the UK version: bit less like an XP theme. =

The pricing smells, though. I don't particularly mind a company having pricing variations in different locales, but if that's the case, users should not be prevented from choosing the version and prices they prefer.
04-18-2009, 10:14 AM
To be honest I prefer the look of the UK version because it is the Scrabble I know and love. We get a classic EA shafting with the price though... Doubling the price only to change the graphical interface?

Goods in the UK are often more expensive than the US because of distribution costs, but via an electronic app store? Stop being evil!

Wishlist: Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Swords & Soldiers, Tyrian
Playing: Kryzer Prologue, Flight Control, Knights Onrush