★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Have Rovio stuffed ads into the paid versions of Angry Birds?

06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Have Rovio stuffed ads into the paid versions of Angry Birds?

Not looking for a discussion on whether or not you like the game, just after info on this subject please

I was thinking about picking up Rio and Seasons for something to mindlessly play while I watch TV, but there are a ton of reviews on the UK store complaining about advertisments in the updates.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
I haven't seen any...

06-20-2011, 08:29 PM
On the pause screen in levels, in unused screen area. Hardly noticeable.
Edit: Ads I've seen have been for other angry birds games, and the Movie Rio. But how much time do you spend in the pause screen anyway? Doesn't EA do adds in a lot of their game's home menus too now? As long as it is not in the gameplay I am fine with it.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo

Last edited by injuwarrior; 06-20-2011 at 09:01 PM.
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Uh... can't copy and paste... here, the reviews are a few months old but it's the latest version of Seasons:

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
From what I've seen from my wife's angry birds (she has all 3), I think the ad is in the pause screen... Don't know if there's ads in other places though... I don't think its that distracting, but I guess it woulda been nicer without the ads..
06-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Turn off the wifi can't make it through? Hate Ads the pretty annoying thing mad me to turn off the wifi time to time.
06-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Not looking for a discussion on whether or not you like the game, just after info on this subject please

I was thinking about picking up Rio and Seasons for something to mindlessly play while I watch TV, but there are a ton of reviews on the UK store complaining about advertisments in the updates.
You dodged a bullet there... But I do believe it's only on the pause.

im back guys!
06-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattestfatty View Post
You dodged a bullet there... But I do believe it's only on the pause.
I saw you coming bro

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Wow. I can't believe people rage over ads in a pause menu. I wonder if they rage when they see ads on the side of the road.
06-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RMILLION View Post
Wow. I can't believe people rage over ads in a pause menu. I wonder if they rage when they see ads on the side of the road.
It's not the same in my opinion. I've come to accept that as soon as I step outside of my house (or in some instances while inside: TV, radio, internet...) I'm going to get advertised at. Games used to be one of the few places you could be free of all that. Obviously free apps need some source of revenue so I'll let them slide, but when I've paid I'd prefer not to see any. In this case though it seems fairly well implemented and restricted to Rovio's own wares, so I doubt it'd bother me as much as something like iAd would if that started popping up everytime I flung a bird.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ