★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Ads in free apps

06-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Ads in free apps

Hello all,

As a new development company, about to release our first game, I was wondering what the general concensus was on having ads in free games? After the fiasco that followed Angry Birds including adverts, is having them in a free version of the game also a big no?

Screen Invaders is out now! screeninvaders.com/app

Tweet us
06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Generally they would be a no, but it can depend on their placement and how they are used.

Personally, it's a big turnoff, especially if the ads get right in your face.

Plus+ name= smjjames
Level 17 Dex: 22% 100% Anura, Velatus, Crustalli, Puncti.
Currently Dexng: Cliuncula:50.82% Marmorea:55.71% Tribus:51.63% Lanterna:100% Glacio:100%

06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjjames View Post
Generally they would be a no, but it can depend on their placement and how they are used.

Personally, it's a big turnoff, especially if the ads get right in your face.
For a small level developer who isn't getting greedy like Rovio, what about just small adverts at the top when they don't get in the way?

Or cos its a free app would you just delete it?

Tweet us
06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
It would depend on the placement, but yea if it doesn't get in the way it should be fine. Like maybe if you have it just on the main menu or something.

Some game devs have that popup where you get an offer of something for a free app. That is fine with me as long as it doesnt come up too often.

Plus+ name= smjjames
Level 17 Dex: 22% 100% Anura, Velatus, Crustalli, Puncti.
Currently Dexng: Cliuncula:50.82% Marmorea:55.71% Tribus:51.63% Lanterna:100% Glacio:100%

Last edited by smjjames; 06-21-2011 at 10:59 AM.
06-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I hate having ads in a game.

That being said - if you intend it to be a free game with ads, please include a $0.99 IAP to turn them off. I've got no problem with trying an app with ads, and I have no problem with paying to remove ads from an app I like.

Ads on title screen are OK, just stuck them in a place where they don't blow the design (usually centered on the top/bottom edge is best.)

Angry Birds has them on the pause screen, I've also seen them on level loading screens and end-game/score screens. These aren't too bad if they don't stick out too much.

Worst is ads in the gameplay screen, especially if they're close enough to gameplay controls to be hit accidentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Okay, well maybe we'll advertise our paid version inside a specially made 'express' or 'lite' version.. thanks for replying!

Tweet us
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attollos Technologies View Post
For a small level developer who isn't getting greedy like Rovio, what about just small adverts at the top when they don't get in the way?

Or cos its a free app would you just delete it?
As a dev (you not me), and assuming you are promoting the full version, I would highly suggest you put ads in somewhere in a semi-obtrusive way. What I mean is that you put it in a way that does not affect gameplay, but is ever so slightly annoying. If people do not like the game, they will probably delete it anyway. If they really like it enough, it will be a push enough for them to get the full or ad-free version. As a consumer, I don't like all ads short of those in the menus that only promote games by the same developer (seems a lot less like ads that way for some reason). If it is the only version, adds in the menu only would probably be your best bet, but still expect backlash for that.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
I hate having ads in a game.

That being said - if you intend it to be a free game with ads, please include a $0.99 IAP to turn them off. I've got no problem with trying an app with ads, and I have no problem with paying to remove ads from an app I like.

Ads on title screen are OK, just stuck them in a place where they don't blow the design (usually centered on the top/bottom edge is best.)

Angry Birds has them on the pause screen, I've also seen them on level loading screens and end-game/score screens. These aren't too bad if they don't stick out too much.

Worst is ads in the gameplay screen, especially if they're close enough to gameplay controls to be hit accidentially.
Thanks for the feedback, the full game itself would be either 59p or just over 1, we haven't decided yet. Also the game is very focused around using the entirety of the screen so it would be pretty churlish to stick some ads right in the middle of where the user will be putting their finger. Okay we may just advertise our own full game on the main menu with the option of an in app purchase..

Tweet us
06-21-2011, 11:16 AM
I know I'm the minority here but, I don't download free apps with ads. Unless it's a freakin' brilliant app.
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
I know I'm the minority here but, I don't download free apps with ads. Unless it's a freakin' brilliant app.
No you are probably the majority. Too much stuff is available without ads. But if I want to demo for a free version, or I just want to try what looks like a unique game, I will give it a download. I download apps that have more obtrusive adds knowing I will delete them, and ones that are less obtrusive all depend on if the game is truly that good to stay on my device.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo