★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

In app payments

06-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
In app payments

Which apps (games) do you think use in app payments in interesting/original ways?
06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffw View Post
Which apps (games) do you think use in app payments in interesting/original ways?
None. IAP is devil!

FL!ppY on TA
OF, Crystal : FL!ppY
Plus+ : FLippY38
GC : FL!ppY38

06-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL!ppY View Post
None. IAP is devil!
+1.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
06-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Surely there must be some with redeeming features?
06-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
There are, of course.

But you're unlikely to find much serious discussion about it here. The "IAP suxx!" crowd will end up competing with the "unfunny jokes" crowd for attention and all attempts at having an actual dialogue will get buried.

That's how TA rolls sometimes. Especially during the summer, when the 13-year-olds have more computer time.
Makes me happy im in Aus, Kids these days are a bit, Well you know.

But yeh, Its sad as all attempts to have a good IAP discussion seem to turn into a thread full of foul language and utterly pointless insults?

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your input. It seems this is perhaps not the forum for this. Anyway for what it's worth, personally I think IAP are not all bad. It allows for users (to a certain extent) to pay based on how much they like/use a game. Users who play a game for weeks and maybe spend 5-10 dallars on IAP are still getting pretty good value for money, and those who use the game once or twice don't have to. Essentially it's a mechanism that a developer can implement to enable a user to pay for their game based on the enjoyment they get.

(this agument does of course rely on a certain type of game design, but hopefully you get the point).
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
There are, of course.

But you're unlikely to find much serious discussion about it here. The "IAP suxx!" crowd will end up competing with the "unfunny jokes" crowd for attention and all attempts at having an actual dialogue will get buried.

That's how TA rolls sometimes. Especially during the summer, when the 13-year-olds have more computer time.
good thing I'm not 13 anymore but you are right. just look at the price discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
Makes me happy im in Aus, Kids these days are a bit, Well you know.

But yeh, Its sad as all attempts to have a good IAP discussion seem to turn into a thread full of foul language and utterly pointless insults?
HEY NOW.

but yea, if implemented well, IAP is excellent. look at Great Little War Game, tiny tower/pocket frogs, and any other game with sizeable content expansions available for IAP. those are all excellent forms of IAP. And then the 2 nimblebit games allow so much freedom w/o and IAP... freemium done right. There's more good IAP too, they just aren't as common/i can't think of/I'm too lazy to type now.

im back guys!
06-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I promised myself to never buy an IAP... But Bug Heroes ruined my self-promise. ='(

Those IAPs are totally worth it. If I had a lot of money I would also buy IAPs for Tiny Tower and those kind of games, but I don't so... Neh. =[
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakuer View Post
If I had a lot of money I would also buy IAPs for Tiny Tower and those kind of games, but I don't so... Neh. =[
You could be a billionaire and there still wouldn't be a good reason to buy Tiny Tower IAP.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakuer View Post
I promised myself to never buy an IAP... But Bug Heroes ruined my self-promise. ='(

Those IAPs are totally worth it. If I had a lot of money I would also buy IAPs for Tiny Tower and those kind of games, but I don't so... Neh. =[
There's nothing wrong with getting iAPs unless you're buying consumable ones. The ones for Bug Heroes are awesome and definitely worth the money.

Twitter: @back2this