★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

8-Bit Monkey - GBA/Mario physics on iPhone

06-23-2011, 06:38 AM
8-Bit Monkey - GBA/Mario physics on iPhone

Sorry for the cheeky title. Been working on this in the background for a long while (it was originally developed for the GameBoy Advance for a contest) and wanted to share some early video running on the iPhone.

It's envisioned primarily as a vertical platformer, stocked with ladders, double jumps, wall jumps, and moving platforms, though the engine support horizontal stages as well. Controls currently work GREAT.

Looking to hook up with some enthusiastic level designers - please hit me up if interested.

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Is this going to play in both portrait and landscape? Not sure if that's what you mean by "the engine supports horizontal stages as well." Could be excellent assuming I won't have to have baby fingers to play it (in portrait mode).

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

06-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Supports all four device orientations. Portrait orientations let you see more up and down and so are more suitable to skinny, tall stages to spot things that might be just offscreen in landscape view (and vice versa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Is this going to play in both portrait and landscape? Not sure if that's what you mean by "the engine supports horizontal stages as well." Could be excellent assuming I won't have to have baby fingers to play it (in portrait mode).
06-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Looks cool, but not that much of 8 bit xD

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
06-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I think I'll have to get this just because of the name :P

If you're reading this, I've already won.
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Looks cool, but not that much of 8 bit xD
Love the graphics! Very cool.
Not sure about the physics though??

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Looks great, need any testers?
06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Looks awesome, I really like that you are supporting both orientations.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
06-24-2011, 01:41 AM
I've been longing for a Donkey Kong Gameboy type game in the Appstore for years now.

You're gonna need to make sure the controls work well, especially since you're gonna have lots of climbing and wall jumps. Make sure and play the current platformer standard bearers like League of Evil, Robot Wants Kitty, etc to see the least responsive your controls should be.

Hopefully you'll get some good level designers. I might add a few suggestions. In the meantime I suggest you watch that entire runthrough of Donkey Kong Gameboy on that youtube channel and take as much inspiration with the variety of levels as possible.

Current graphics and animations look stiff but that's expected with an early video. Supporting all four device orientations is a great idea, but can you pinch zoom the level or pan around using two fingers?

I'll be glad to help beta test this game.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
06-24-2011, 05:53 AM
would be glad to help beta test

game center,plus+ and openfeint username : LOLFREDLOL