★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Golden Path of Plumebloom $2.99

04-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Review: Golden Path of Plumebloom Delivers Gold (now $.99)

The game hasnít received much attention, but I think it should. The devs released a lite version today, but itís one of those times where it doesnít do the full version justice. Try out the lite version to get a taste of the physics I mention below. The full version offers a lot more.

Full: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309053301&mt=8

Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310844312&mt=8

The Golden Path of Plumebloom is a mouthful when youíre trying to say it fast, but the game is a hidden gem if you like casual Match-3 puzzle games. What differentiates GPP from other Match-3 games are the mechanics and the visual presentation. Strange as it sounds, the storyline is somewhat creative: Plumebloom the Peacock has uncovered a treasure map and your job is to help him discover those treasures within the caves.

GPP has more than 100 levels with each consisting of a unique lock. To unlock each, you have to clear out the orbs via matches of 3 or more of the same color orbs. The levels have names such as Treasure Grotto, Underground Maze and Room of Gold. In the center of each lock is a crystal that gradually turns red as time elapses which coincides with the timer bar at the top of the screen. The shooter is at the bottom which you tilt to move it left or right and tap the screen to fire. You can swap the color of the orb by shaking the device, and the next orb color is indicated on the two sides of the shooter. The power behind a shot is release sensitive: a quick tap will rapidly fire an orb while a longer tap (hold and then release) will increase the power of the shot. Btw, thereís also a great tutorial and optional hint function that walks you through the game.

In the terms of the gameplay, the physics used in the game are done extremely well. The orbs are incorporated into each lock, and as you make matches, it turns the lock in various directions based on the match and resulting chain reactions if any. In addition, you can also angle and bounce orbs off the walls if youíre trying to land them somewhere specific. I found that by making strategic matches/creating chain reactions, dropping orbs in various places, and angling orbs off the walls, I could effectively rotate or even stop the lockís movement. Of course, if I miscalculated, I would not make my match and the lock would rotate in another direction. The challenge is that each lock is different, and the orbs are located in various crevices, some difficult to reach. The mechanics are amusing to watch. As you make certain matches, gems will also drop which you can collect for bonus points using your shooter. Keep in mind that your main objective is still to clear the board through matches, unlocking the door before time runs out. By using tapping into the power of your shot, you can actually bouncing orbs off of each or hit the lock hard enough to changing the rotation.

There are also various powerups including Bomb, Lightning, and Firecracker which randomly clears out orbs; Rainbow which turns random orbs into the same color; AntiGravity which frees the orbs from the locks for a limited time, and Metal Orb which randomly knocks orbs out of the lock. Besides time, the other obstacle is Lasers which shoots out additional orbs which can clutter the board as youíre trying to make matches.

For me, the game is not particularly challenging although it does make me think about positioning shots. There is a certain addictive quality to it, and in a way it reminds me of the earlier versions of another match-3 game Gemmed where casual gaming was the objective. If youíre looking for a fun game with an understated degree of challenge, Golden Path of Plumebloom may be for you.

Last edited by Big Albie; 10-27-2009 at 02:54 PM.
04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I was surprised there was not any interest here in this game.
You can download the windows version and there is a video:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...oom/index.html

04-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Me too, this game has completely fallen under the radar which is too bad. It's really very solid for what it is and well presented...more polished than most.
04-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I picked up the lite version today, I do think the gameplay is pretty cool. I'm still obsessed with Puzzle Quest so far, so I may not be purchasing this in the near future, but it's definitely a nice looking game.
04-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow look at that ranking.. there are not 1000 games better than this one.
http://www.apptism.com/apps/golden-path-of-plumeboom
Release Date: 03/18/2009 Size: 17.7 MB Popular Rank #: 1994
04-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
Wow look at that ranking.. there are not 1000 games better than this one.
http://www.apptism.com/apps/golden-path-of-plumeboom
Release Date: 03/18/2009 Size: 17.7 MB Popular Rank #: 1994
Poor little Plumebloom...he really deserves a better fate.
04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Poor little Plumebloom...he really deserves a better fate.
Maybe it will have a sale someday.. whoever does the marketing needs to hire you.. click on both the website links in iTunes.. neither one goes to the game.

Did find this after clicking around..

iPhone
iPhone Applications coming soon! In the meantime, please use the Apple AppStore!

http://www.vpltd.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=227 Mac version
Plumeboom is a great traveler, and he has many friends in numerous fabulous worlds. Country of Aboo is one of such worlds. It is settled by hard-working wormlings, who day after day quarry Magic Crystals that may be converted into any possible item! They've recently faced a real disaster. The two evils, Crowbeak the wizard and the mad scientist Cornix, that was expelled from Orniland, got to know about the Magic Crystals and decided to grab these from the defenseless wormlings, in order to create the Weapon of Darkness. The evils forces are stronger, but our kind friend Plumeboom is assisting settlers of Aboo. The Magic Crystals shouldn't fall into the evil claws.

This is a new game in the Plumeboom the Peacock series. The game genre is Match-3, a player should exchange crystals to reduce them. The vivid colors and spectacular visual effects, a great number of bonuses and Magic Crystals ensure that every player should be enjoyed.
04-18-2009, 07:46 PM
In general, devs need to update their sites or at least create one that provides additional information. There's this tendency to think that the game will sell itself. Plumeboom's friends won't be around if Plumeboom doesn't do well.
04-18-2009, 07:58 PM
04-18-2009, 08:01 PM
@ Albie

I'll check this game tomorrow for sure. I confess that I saw this game earlier but for some reason I lost interest...

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8