★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Rogue Touch Leaderboard - CommanderData's Angels Edition

04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Rogue Touch Leaderboard - CommanderData's Angels Edition

Ok, you all know Rogue Touch is the best old-school dungeon crawler in the app store by now. I think most of you here are playing it, which is why I hang out here so much!

In the spirit of fun and friendly competition we're holding a little online leaderboard contest: This first competition is purely for the respect and admiration of your fellow rogues (and to stress test our systems for a larger contest with cash prizes in the future )- but there are a few non-monetary prizes to be earned in this adventure!

Here's how to play:

Pick one of our four female secret characters introduced in version 1.5:

* Athena
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer
* Red Sonja
* Ripley

Then use her to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor is as few moves as you possibly can! In the unlikely event of a tie or if nobody reaches the surface with the Amulet we will compare Guild Honored individuals for least moves, then most gold, and then compare most kills. See how you rank in http://bestrogues.chronosoft.com/ --- click "* CD's Angels *" for the contest board!

You can try as many dungeon runs with "CommanderData's Angels" as you would like between 4/19/2009 and 4/26/2009. The top 5 individuals in the "* CD's Angels *" leaderboard according to our judgement on 4/27/2009 will each get their own private secret character in Rogue Touch with great starting equipment and a secret ability! Plus a sticky post in our forums immortalizing your deeds

To claim your immortal fame (at least until we stop paying the hosting bill ), make sure to take a picture of your victory or death screen (press the power and home buttons on your device quickly and it will "snap" a picture). I will call for the winners to submit that screen and their UDID as proof of identity, and then I'll work with you to lay out your secret character

Looking forward to seeing what you're capable of!!! Good Luck

PS- Feel free to post bragging about your dungeon runs... we love to hear how people handle close calls and creatively use their equipment! Lord Gek will be around here Sunday morning to stir up trouble and see how everyone's coming along!

Update: Winner's list:

1) Scotopia - Playing Athena - 7998 moves to retrieve the Amulet!!!
2) Nighthawk - Playing Athena - 8630 moves to retrieve the Amulet
3) nohbdy - Playing Athena - 10048 moves to retrieve the Amulet
4) twalkabout - Playing Athena - 10561 moves to retrieve the Amulet
5) jhawk - Playing Athena - 10575 moves to retrieve the Amulet

The rest of my post about the competition can be found on page 5

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!

Last edited by CommanderData; 04-27-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Winners added
04-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds fun..i might start playing more now

04-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRaShEr View Post
Sounds fun..i might start playing more now
Cool, I just submitted the first score for laughs... set the bar really low for people... Plus everyone can make fun of me for dying on the 2nd floor!

(Technically it's not 4/19 yet, but I gave everyone for a free hour or two in the database )

--- ChronoSoft ---
04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
scotopia and jhawk start things off!

Well, jeez, it just started and already we have some serious contenders with some of the usual suspects.

1 Athena (scotopia) Winner! 12840
2 Athena Winner! 14999
3 Athena (jhawk) Winner! 15516
4 Athena Winner! 19243

We'll need to have #2 and #4 come out of the woodwork and introduce themselves...but then again I wonder if they even knew of the contest?

So merely winning appears simple enough, I guess, but can you do it EVEN MORE EFFICIENTLY now? Anybody think Ripley could be a contender in this contest?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
#2 has been identified just minutes ago as shadowspawn!

Oh I definitely think Ripley could be a contender! That motion tracker is worth a lot if you're trying to dive and *avoid* time wasters like pesky combat. I wouldn't count out Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Red Sonja either... their advantages are not as obvious an Athena, but I think some people would be surprised how well they could tackle this mission

Feel free to discuss characters and strategies here... even if you have a good strategy it's the *execution* that counts

----------------------------

Here are some clarifications that I posted in our forums:
The goal is simply to get in, get the Amulet and get back out alive. The twist is you need to do this in the fewest number of moves you possibly can. No wasting time!

Now, due to the nature of the mission there are three kinds of people we have in the data (and you thought this was going to be some sort of binary joke... shame on you!):

1) People who got out with the Amulet come first, in order from least number of moves, to most moves made during the run.

2) People who got the Amulet, but died on the way back up ( or Guild Honored ) come in a group immediately following the Amulet retrievers in #1

3) People who never made it to the 26th floor. These people are instead ranked by number of gold pieces, and then by kills if there's a tie, and then by moves if there is a tie. To understand why I did the third grouping: If I sorted people who DID NOT reach floor 26 or the Amulet by least number of moves, it would be showing all the people who died in like 5 moves on floor #1 in this third grouping.... those people are not "winners", so we handle the ranking this way

Of course by Monday it will probably be full of Amulet retrievers only, each one vying to shave a few more moves off the best run so far. I doubt we'll see any category 2 or 3 people left by then

Good luck everyone!

--- ChronoSoft ---
04-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
#2 has been identified just minutes ago as shadowspawn!

Oh I definitely think Ripley could be a contender! That motion tracker is worth a lot if you're trying to dive and *avoid* time wasters like pesky combat. I wouldn't count out Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Red Sonja either... their advantages are not as obvious an Athena, but I think some people would be surprised how well they could tackle this mission

Feel free to discuss characters and strategies here... even if you have a good strategy it's the *execution* that counts

----------------------------

Here are some clarifications that I posted in our forums:
The goal is simply to get in, get the Amulet and get back out alive. The twist is you need to do this in the fewest number of moves you possibly can. No wasting time!

Now, due to the nature of the mission there are three kinds of people we have in the data (and you thought this was going to be some sort of binary joke... shame on you!):

1) People who got out with the Amulet come first, in order from least number of moves, to most moves made during the run.

2) People who got the Amulet, but died on the way back up ( or Guild Honored ) come in a group immediately following the Amulet retrievers in #1

3) People who never made it to the 26th floor. These people are instead ranked by number of gold pieces, and then by kills if there's a tie, and then by moves if there is a tie. To understand why I did the third grouping: If I sorted people who DID NOT reach floor 26 or the Amulet by least number of moves, it would be showing all the people who died in like 5 moves on floor #1 in this third grouping.... those people are not "winners", so we handle the ranking this way

Of course by Monday it will probably be full of Amulet retrievers only, each one vying to shave a few more moves off the best run so far. I doubt we'll see any category 2 or 3 people left by then

Good luck everyone!
Even before the first day out we have 4 players that have retrieved the amulet so, unless everybody stopped playing IMMEDIATELY, it REALLY looks impossible for us not to have AT LEAST 5 amulet retrievers.

My iTunes Reviews
04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Whew, that leaderboard filled up fast! Nothing but Athena on the charts right now... I would assume because she's the character that is easiest to brute force the contest with. Now, if you really want to impress me, try Ripley or even more so Red Sonja or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

If one of you doesn't get a few of these other ladies on the board I'll be forced to give it a shot later myself rather than working on the next update... and we wouldn't want that now would we

--- ChronoSoft ---
04-19-2009, 03:15 PM
What a cool contest. I bought Rogue Touch a week or 2 ago, but haven't managed an ascent yet :-(
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post
What a cool contest. I bought Rogue Touch a week or 2 ago, but haven't managed an ascent yet :-(
Playing as one of "CD's Angels" would definitely make this normally near impossible feat a lot more possible, that's for sure.

My iTunes Reviews
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
JOY!!!!

What a great idea for a contest, I'm fairly certain I won't get up in that leaderboard since I have yet to even get the amulet with ANYBODY, but it sure gives me a reason to try! (Not like I need a reason to play RT I'm doing that constantly anyway). Thanks you guys for providing me with so much FUN, can't wait to see what the cash prize contest will be!