★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Infinity Dungeon

06-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Infinity Dungeon

Hi. I started developing of an RPG title for iPhone about 2 months ago. It's called Infinity Dungeon and it will be a classical RPG with some innovative elements.

More details and some early screenshots on my blog.

Let me know what you think - not only here, but commenting the blog as well. This way you can actually take part in the development. I'm open to advices, criticism and even wishes. Granted, I won't be able to take everything into consideration, but some of them for sure :-)
06-29-2011, 08:41 AM

06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Good luck...
BTW care not to force the player to grind for leveling (just one of the hardest things to do, but i think its worth it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0calypse
Impatient fool!
AMEN TO YOU THREE.
07-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
Good luck...
BTW care not to force the player to grind for leveling (just one of the hardest things to do, but i think its worth it )
Yes, I was thinking about some kind of story, but I must admit is it pretty far down my todo list. For now it's gameplay and graphics. Sound too :-)

BTW, I just published another map, this time in a forest/rock setting. Let me know what you think, guys.
07-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Cool. Really really like the look of this one. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Anything giving me a classic diablo experience is a buy in my book. *thumbsup*
07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I've always been a sucker for tiled maps. They instantly bring me back to the times when I first played Chrono Trigger or EarthBound.

What you say about the look of your game though, I'm not sure I would agree one hundred percent on that. I mean, pretty games usually get more glances but it's the gameplay that makes people stick with games for a long time. I guess the way I see it, there's a game for everybody out there. It might not be a bad thing to have less than stellar graphics I mean, sometimes it adds to the charm.

Take Counterstrike for example. That game looks like it's been dragged through miles of jaggy pixels and plopped into a computer monitor, but it has a huge hardcore following. The same goes with Mount & Blade or people who still play the first Starcraft. These games have a magical quality that has kept people playing for years now.

I'm about to embark on this crazy game making journey with my first game coming out in a couple of months, so I apologize for speaking of something I have close to no actual experience with. I do wish you luck and applaud your efforts though, man. It's hard business out there for people like us.
07-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
What you say about the look of your game though, I'm not sure I would agree one hundred percent on that. I mean, pretty games usually get more glances but it's the gameplay that makes people stick with games for a long time.
I agree 100% with that. Gameplay is much more important, than graphics when it comes to enjoyable gaming experience. No doubt about it.

But... it's far easier to show graphics, than gameplay. Especially in case of mobile games, where most of potential buyers don't really bother to read reviews or opinions, but just look at these few screenshots in AppStore (or Android Market) and base their decision on them.

To appreciate your gameplay, a player have to buy your game in the first place. And a buy decision is made based on graphics in most cases, sadly. Especially on mobile gaming market. Sad, but true...

BTW, I added some new thoughts about freemium vs. paid to my blog. Let me know what you think of it, guys.

Last edited by habrys; 07-06-2011 at 09:05 AM.
07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
So, tell me what you think.

Does it make sense to publish a free RPG offline game with extra levels sold in app? Or is the lite/paid model a better option?
What about paid in app items to make game easier and faster (more powerful weapons, consumables etc.)?

If I were to choose from those two options, I'd go with #2.

You could go a lot of ways with an RPG, though. You could have an in app purchase that's a pretty lengthy dungeon so you get very powerful weapons and armor in the same purchase to prepare yourself for the difficult fight that lies ahead.

I also think if you make a compelling enough story for the main game, you could release the game for free and then offer an in app purchase of something that rounds everything out, like a side story. If one of your characters is away for a while in the main story, you can show what that character was doing while the main story was going on.

Just my two cents
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by habrys View Post
Hi. I started developing of an RPG title for iPhone about 2 months ago. It's called Infinity Dungeon and it will be a classical RPG with some innovative elements.
If you're developing for iPhone, why is this in the Mac App Store forum?
07-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I read the word "consumables" and instantly thought "can't be bothered". I just want to buy games without the pressure of any further commitment. I'm getting so tired of developers subtly trying to restrict players and hinting at IAP with every chance they get, why can't I just give someone money for a complete game anymore? With all of their efforts to make money, they're starting to hurt the gameplay. An RPG isn't immersive if the player is suddenly made to consider their iTunes balance and think about how much they can spare for a few consumables.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ