★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: WALT.IO
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 4.9 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (6)
App description: Featured by Apple as a New & Noteworthy Arcade and Action game!

----------

Astral is an experimental marriage of Pacifism-style gameplay and two electronic sitar-themed tracks. Abstract visuals light up and change colors with the music, creating a playable light show.

Precise controls let you deftly maneuver among ever-growing swarms, leading them towards strings which explode the swarms once plucked.

The game features two modes, one for each track. One track is faster and upbeat, with arcade-style gameplay to match. The other track is darker and more ambient, with more relaxed gameplay.

Best played with headphones.
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Game Impressions

This is actually excellent. Simple gameplay with really tight controls.

Only thing I wish were different is that your ship kept momentum and pulled up slowly when you take your thumb off the screen instead of stopping dead which breaks immersion.

Recommended.

06-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Yeah, it looks excellent! Gonna have to look for some change n run up to the bank tomorrow!
06-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Are there tilt controls?

This look great!
06-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Hey NotYou, no tilt controls. The game is all about near-pixel precise maneuvering, so tilt controls would probably make it too difficult!

Gabrien, glad you like it! I'll experiment with adding some inertia when you lift your thumb off.

Also, as mentioned in the Upcoming Games thread, next month I'll be adding Game Center and OpenFeint leaderboards. If you've got any minor suggestions or feedback, let me know, and I'll see about rolling them into the next update. In the meantime, enjoy the game!

Creator of Astral, a New & Noteworthy and Top 100 Arcade and Action game!
Astral Website | facebook.com/astral | TA thread.

Last edited by emitcollect; 06-25-2011 at 02:28 AM.
06-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Game looks amazing!
06-25-2011, 02:43 AM
So what exactly are the controls and gameplay about? What makes the game so great?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
06-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
So what exactly are the controls and gameplay about? What makes the game so great?
Yeh, Are there any gameplay video's as the Screenshot's don't show much about the gameplay.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
06-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey medianotzu, here's the game's description and a trailer, which should tell you everything you need to know:

Quote:
Astral is an experimental marriage of Pacifism-style gameplay and two electronic sitar-themed tracks. Abstract visuals light up and change colors with the music, creating a playable light show.

Precise controls let you deftly maneuver among ever-growing swarms, leading them towards strings which explode the swarms once plucked.

The game features two modes, one for each track. One track is faster and upbeat, with arcade-style gameplay to match. The other track is darker and more ambient, with more relaxed gameplay.
Trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Creator of Astral, a New & Noteworthy and Top 100 Arcade and Action game!
Astral Website | facebook.com/astral | TA thread.
06-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitcollect View Post
Hey NotYou, no tilt controls. The game is all about near-pixel precise maneuvering, so tilt controls would probably make it too difficult!

Gabrien, glad you like it! I'll experiment with adding some inertia when you lift your thumb off.

Also, as mentioned in the Upcoming Games thread, next month I'll be adding Game Center and OpenFeint leaderboards. If you've got any minor suggestions or feedback, let me know, and I'll see about rolling them into the next update. In the meantime, enjoy the game!
The only other thing that struck me as a little odd is that there's no scoring at all in the second game mode. I understand it's supposed to be more relaxing, but the gameplay itself does not really feel different from the arcade mode, does it? Or am I missing something?

In any case, more modes are always good for something like this, and there are many that could be added down the road.