★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Vir2L Base Jumper

04-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Vir2L Base Jumper

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311115651&mt=8

Anyone try this yet? Most of the reviews are fake. Anyone have a video of it? Looks somewhat interesting...
04-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Nope

I didn't and the fake reviews were the reason, if I recall correctly.

Edit: I stand corrected. I checked and this isn't the recent game I was thinking of. That one had like 15 reviews on day one, most of which mentioned the developer's name and used all the obvious buzzwords, with no suggestions for improvement. This currently has 5 5-star reviews, which isn't unthinkable.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 04-19-2009 at 10:50 AM.

04-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I have.. I like the game better than the other 2 skydive games.. still need to play it more though.
04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow... and Vir2L Studios is a subsidiary of ZeniMax, a big media conglomerate. And they're engaging in fake reviews?

Just sad.

Gives me an idea for a new column, though...

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I bought it...skydiver, one day basejumper here, so I can't resist games like this.

it's TOTALLY lame. 3 1-minute levels, that may as well be pre-rendered. all you do is use the accelerometer to steer through rings on a pre-defined course to the target. you can't crash, you can't change course. it's totally on-rails and isn't even very pretty. I would give it a 0.5/5. (It is slightly fun...but isn't even worth $.99 for the _3 minutes_ of content, let alone $1.99)

Glyder is MUCH better IMHO at giving a base jumping "experience"...which is sad, because it's a fantasy game about going through a dimensional rift. lol
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingsama View Post
I bought it...Skydiver, one day basejumper here...

it's TOTALLY lame. 3 1-minute levels, that may as well be pre-rendered. all you do is use the accelerometer to steer through rings on a pre-defined course to the target. you can't crash, you can't change course. it's totally on-rails and isn't even very pretty.

Glyder is MUCH better IMHO at giving a base jumping "experience"...which is sad, because it's a fantasy game about going through a dimensional rift. lol
Eh, well that's disappointing. I'll definitely avoid this one.

No DPad - iPhone and iPod Touch gaming. Who says gamers need a dpad?
04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
So are all the basketball games terrible because all you do is spend a few seconds shooting a ball at a basket? This game is good for what it does. It is a short casual pick up and play game like most games on the iPhone.

You can look at the screens and judge the graphics.
http://www.vir2l.com/games/basejumper/screens.php

Wingsuit BASE jumping 3 feet away from a cliff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfG9fjyKZ50
04-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
So are all the basketball games terrible because all you do is spend a few seconds shooting a ball at a basket? This game is good for what it does. It is a short casual pick up and play game like most games on the iPhone.

You can look at the screens and judge the graphics.
http://www.vir2l.com/games/basejumper/screens.php

Wingsuit BASE jumping 3 feet away from a cliff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfG9fjyKZ50
people actually go spend 3 minutes just shooting hoops.

in the Urban level, the rings don't even follow the course. They float out in front of you as you as the buildings rotate around you. in the grand canyon level you practically fly straight. it has nothing to do with base jumping but is a quick crap-out-and-capitalize-on-skydiving-games piece of junk.

Glyder, iSkyDive and FreeFall'n are *all* better alternatives, and *all* less expensive.

Moreover, Glyder actually gives an experience much closer to the video you posted. this game does not.

it's totally stupid and a complete waste of money. spend $1.99 on an episode of Lost, it will entertain you for 15 times as long.

Don't believe me? Look at the iTunes description. "Base" is said over and over. it's BASE, morons, it's an acronym. the devs didn't even bother to learn THAT about the activity. it reflects in the gamelplay.

I've done 5 tandem and 2 solo jumps in real life. I actually *know* what it feels like to fly through the air. This game does NOT reproduce the experience in the least. it is like you are flying through rings with a movie of flying through an environment around you. it's stupid and expensive.

Last edited by writingsama; 04-19-2009 at 12:00 PM.
04-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I bought this game...

...and removed it five minutes later. It's junk.
04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm almost tempted to buy the game to leave a 1 star review.

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->