★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Pet peeve

06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Pet peeve

I have noticed an alarming number of developers who put "screenshots" on their app page that are pretty incomprehensible. Let me clarify. I want to see SCREENSHOTS, to give me some indication of what the game looks like. These days, so many developers pack multiple screenshot thumbnails into (admittedly beautiful) marketing images. I appreciate what they are doing, but I'd like to see at least ONE actual screenshot.
I wont name names, but it seems increasingly common.
If I see this, it will turn me away from the game. I tend to feel that the developer has something to hide if they can't even post a full size screenshot.
Anyone else peeved by this? Or is it just me?

Game source code for PC, Mac, Linux and iOS here.

Last edited by Charybdis; 06-26-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: tidying
06-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Send a message via AIM to DrummerB Send a message via MSN to DrummerB
I totally agree. An other thing that I find very annoying is when people put their menu as their first screenshot. I'm interested in the game, not your menus.. Of course in the game it's the first thing you see, but that doesn't mean you have to do the same with the screenshots.

Developer of Practice Pro for musicians.

06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Ugh, hate it when devs do that. There should be atleast one full screen in-game screenshot minimum (i'd prefer all of them to be full screen in-game shots but one will be Okay enough too).

Another thing I really hate (and cant understand at all) is when devs dont have a gameplay video at the time of game's release. I mean come on. You spend months of your time on a game and you wont take the extra step and add a 2 minute video of the game? Some devs are even worse. They have a video uploaded but there is no mention of it in the description, their own website/twitter/anywhere at all. Googling the game name is the only way to find out they even have a video out there. Seriously cant understand why devs are so careless about their own apps.
06-26-2011, 06:12 PM
it's important to put certain info in the screenshots that the potential audience might never see elsewhere; so long as it is done elegantly, it should properly show off (enough) of the gameplay screen (to give you an idea) without being too otherwise "distracting"

As for gameplay videos.. well, both of these issues fall under the usual umbrella. Most independent developers are not only rather clueless about marketing, in fact they openly abhor it. Quite often it is the case that they just "don't want to deal with this stuff" not realizing that it is some of the most crucial part of a release (many still expect that if there is a lite version available then it is a guarantee that it will properly upsell)
06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Unfortunately game developers and game marketers are two different breeds They dont overlap much it seems. :-/

We haven't released our game yet but this is good stuff to know. Is it possible to put a clickable link to a YouTube video in the description? Or would it be sufficient to make mention of the games website and have the video there?

There's yet another thing apple app store should look into... Why no videos allowed in the game description like on steam?
06-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravadoWaffle View Post
Unfortunately game developers and game marketers are two different breeds They dont overlap much it seems. :-/

We haven't released our game yet but this is good stuff to know. Is it possible to put a clickable link to a YouTube video in the description? Or would it be sufficient to make mention of the games website and have the video there?

There's yet another thing apple app store should look into... Why no videos allowed in the game description like on steam?
nope no vids in description. you can write a link but most folks will never type it in :/
06-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to DrummerB Send a message via MSN to DrummerB
You can't even click the developers website below the screenshots on the iPhone App Store. It's pathetic...

Developer of Practice Pro for musicians.
06-27-2011, 02:56 AM
well it would be cool to be able to embedd an video into the app description (officially) like the screenshots..

but since such content must be hosted by apple them self to provide an seamless shopfront (imagine an 404 on a video.. that would be horrible)
maybe we see such changes after iOS5 once their hole cloud based sever behemoth goes online..

would defiantly be a good addition.. imho
06-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Videos and screenshots are some of the best tools for marketing as long as they are done well and used at some point in the marketing campaign. All campaigns are different and at the ended of the day, as long as you generate positive interest in what you are trying to achieve then their's no real right and wrong answers in marketing. It's whatever works. It only becomes a wrong answer when what was done, doesn't work.

Fantasy Adventure eBook set on a magical writer's desk available for DOWNLOAD @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9K3KTW
06-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
nope no vids in description. you can write a link but most folks will never type it in :/
The URL shortening site http://bit.ly is a good tool for this - lets you make custom shortened addresses.. e.g. you could make bit.ly/MyGameTrailer link to your youtube video. Also handy because it lets you see how many people went there via that link.

Most people probably still wouldn't bother type it in but it might help a bit, having a short, easy to remember URL